Long awaited BIO on GRACIE (in MO) IS here!! (New pics)

Postby bustersmama » April 13th, 2006, 11:18 am

Name: Miss Gracie
Breed: American Pit Bull Terrier

Sex: Female

Color: Reverse Brindle

Weight: 37.6 lbs (unconditioned)

Spayed: Yes

Crate Trained: Yes

House Trained: Yes

Good with Dogs: Some

Good with Cats: No

Adoption Requirments: NO BSL, NO Same Sex Placement, PBRC Application, Phone Interview, References, Home Check, $120 Adoption Fee to assist the cost of spay surgeory & shots, Contract a MUST!

The Beginning (background info):

Tucked away in concrete cage inside a Tennessee animal shelter was once where a precious little girl named Gracie resided. Gracie is a young, female American Pit Bull Terrier who is even sweeter in person than her pictures let be exposed. Gorgeous Gracie, like so many other dogs had previously been a neglected soul. She was found on a frigid, cold night only a day or two short of Christmas. Gracie was all alone, skinny and hungry; while wondering the dark, empty streets. Lonely and amidst the blackness of nightfall, Gracie was in search of some form of salvation.

Gracie 1 - http://i2.tinypic.com/qo86fn.jpg

Gracie 2 - http://i2.tinypic.com/qo8709.jpg

Her savior that frosty night came in the form of a gentle and caring human. This man took one look at Gracie and instantaneously saw a kind and friendly face. He also noticed how undernourished Gracie appeared to be as he could see far to many bones on her little, tired, worn body. Then, this tender man saw that Gracie hadn't been alone on this cruel night as was first thought; she had a belly full with puppies.

Momma Gracie wanted nothing more in the entire world than to go home with this man so that she would finally be properly cared for and never be left out alone in the cold again. Unfortunately, or fortunately (however you may look at it) this man turned out to be an Animal Control Officer. He did the best that he could for Gracie by taking her to the shelter where she could rest, drink and be fed regular meals; all out of the elements. Although a bit noisy, she was ever so grateful that she had a warm, dry place to stay where people seemed truly love her. She was so happy to see the shelter staff as her wagging tail displayed daily when she got a pat the head or when someone walked by her kennel. Gracie literally melts for the slightest bit of human attention. Gorgeous Gracie promptly became a favorite at the shelter among the staff. She was such a wonderful little girl that they absolutely could not stand to see her fall to the same fate of so many other dogs that find themselves confined behind the shelter doors. Miraculously, after contacting different rescues, one agreed to take on Gracie and her babies.

Eventually, it was time for Gracie to have her puppies while she was still at the shelter. She gave birth to 6 beautiful babies. Gracie proved to be an excellent mother; her little ones were her pride and joy. The 6 puppies were very healthy because Gracie was such a good momma however; the shelter life came to take its toll on this young family. The 6 beautiful puppies fell ill and did not live to make it past 7 weeks. This seemed to take its toll on Gracie combined with the fact that she's been in the shelter for two months. Gracie soon there after developed kennel cough. Her rescue that had originally agreed to take her and the babies still planned on taking just Gracie after they were made aware of the news.

All of the funds have been raised to get Gracie transported from the Tennessee shelter that she’s currently at all the way up to the rescue that is taking her in Canada, Absolute Karma Rescue Society. The only problem is that she could not be transported in her current ill state. We could not risk putting her on the transport with the possibility of her becoming sicker or spreading her cough to the other canine passengers that would be traveling with her. Gracie needed some time out of the shelter, in a home environment to fully recover from her stressful two months of being pregnant, thin and abandoned to winding up losing all of her babies in an animal shelter.

A wonderful short-term foster family came forward to take Gorgeous Gracie in for the next month or so in Southern Missouri. We needed to get Gracie from TN to MO so that she may have another much deserved chance at life. Gracie has been neglected by humans in her short time on earth and still managed to forgive everyone, she needs to know what it feels like to be cared for and loved by a true family of her own. The epic feat of getting Gracie from point A (Middle TN) to point B (Southern MO) would certainly not be easy, especially on such short notice with so little time. The most remarkably, generous souls whom deserve total credit for Gracie's rescue are the 5 altruistic angels who donated their time to personally transport this wonderful little girl all the way from the middle of Tennessee to the good ol' Show-Me-State. Gracie is doubtlessly deserving of this second chance that she has been blessed.

Miss Gracie Made It To Her Foster Home, Safe and Sound! (stories, personality, likes/dislikes and other misc info):

Sweet, adorable, dainty, loving, sensitive, driven, precious, excitable, little, innocent are all words that can be used to describe Miss Gracie. Gracie is a 2 1/2 year old American Pit Bull Terrier with one of the sweetest temperaments conceivable.

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdhir4.jpg

As you have read above, Gracie was rescued from a Tennessee shelter where she has blossomed in her foster home to become one special little girl. Gracie has made enormous leaps since the first day she arrived in her foster home. She was initially scared/cautious of loud noises (pots and pans banging together, ice machine on the fridge, slamming doors/cabinets etc) but now, she's allllll up in your business sticking her head in that very same cabinet where you are going to put those pots and pans ;o) Gracie appeared to be in "awe" over many of the daily house hold workings when she first arrived in her foster home as well. However, she did her best to soak everything up and accommodate to her new lifestyle, no matter how foreign all of the "indoor" stuff was to her at the time. Miss Gracie was not housetrained at this time either which could lead one to think that in her past life she may not have been inside all that much (if ever).

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdhj5e.jpg

How is Gracie since those first couple of days you ask? F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!! Gracie quickly adapted to the indoor life due in part to steady tasty meals, a big comfy couch and most importantly, lots of lovin'! The somewhat reserved, sweet little girl who was picked up pregnant, alone and hungry on the dark streets; now has blossomed into a confident, wiggly, happy little house trained pitty! The one thing that remained constant throughout her transition period was and is without a doubt, her sweeter than sugar disposition towards anyone who will show her the slightest smidgen of attention.

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdhlz7.jpg

No dog is perfect but Miss Gracie sure must be darn close! Gracie is 100% crate trained. She sleeps through the entire night with a peep. Well actually not without a peep because . . . she has been known to snore! Gracie has a "settling" period upon entering her crate for the night. Approximately, the initial 5-10 minutes she gently serenades anyone listening with the cutest, most adorable, rhythmic snoring. Soon, you will realize that you don't hear it anymore and that is when you come to the realization that Gracie is officially zonked out until the alarm goes off the following morning. If you are the one lucky enough to get to see Gracie wake up, then you will know exactly what I am referring to. Every single morning when the shiny, metal door is pulled open to Gracie's crate, within seconds you're ears are drowned in a tail thumping happily against the plastic sides of a crate. Then suddenly her darling, sleepy head pops out. Gracie looks straight up at you with a face that no matter how bad of a morning you're having will immediately put the world into perspective. This divine scene helps you to realize that Gracie undoubtedly deserved her second chance to find out what it feels like to be loved. Gracie continues gazing right into your eyes while struggling to become fully awake as she streeeeetches out and bats her squinted, morning eyes. Once Gracie is "alert" she ever-so-gently tries to climb into your lap for a good morning snuggle. After you show her a little attention she is galloping off to the races. She starts tap dancing like a wild child, putting her brindled her front right paw down, then just as quickly raising it and putting her front left brindled paw down and repeating this "dance" all the way through the house while her butt is just a wiggling. Gracie has been known to be slightly, lets say...ditzy. When she gets in an extremely excitable state (chow time, treats, getting out of crate, going for a walk etc) she tap dances uncontrollably and tries to bunny hop in front of you, meanwhile turning her head to the side so she doesn't "lose track of you." What Gracie fails to take into consideration is that she needs to take a second, calm down and LOOK where she is going! Before you know it, this little enthusiastic spazz has run right into the TV, the wall or a door lol. It doesn't ever seem to faze her though, she is far to gitty with joy to even notice.

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdhliw.jpg

This brings us to a good topic, TREATS! Gracie is psychotic for treats! Let me remind you that she is spectacular in the house. She knows that the house isn't where she can full on release her energy so if she isn't peacefully chewing on a bone on the floor; she's sprawled out on her side of the couch relaxing. I can't stress just how calm and well behaved in the house she is! Ok now...this is of course unless she is aware she's about to receive a treat. You'd think a treat is like Gracie's "fix." You can imagine how bouncy this little petite 37 pounder would look spinning in circles and running into various objects all in the name of a treat. After a few weeks, she is finally starting to relax some with proper guidance and doesn't go from 0-100 on her excitable scale for a small treat. Also, she initially did not have any real manners on how to nicely/appropriately take treats from people but finally, with a lot of patience, Gracie (with a quick reminder) takes treats fabulously. Staying on the topic of things that Gracie loves, you cannot leave out the flirt pole. The sweet, innocent, naive, captivating, couch cuddlier we have all grown to love has an intensive, focused side to her that comes out with play time, her drive! Gracie's favorite activity to date is by far chasing after the flirt pole bait. She will literally chase the toy on it until you physically put it away. Gracie has also found an interest in the spring pole. She has loads of fun exercising on the spring pole but nothing, not even walks, compare to the almighty flirt pole.

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdhmd2.jpg

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdi7ur.jpg

Speaking of walks, Gracie is refreshingly nicely behaved on a leash. She does pull when walking around the neighborhood frequently but you've got to put it in prospective, she's only 37 lbs so when she pulls, you just simply don't feel it. That is until she spots a squirrel ;o) Gracie has toured a number of pet stores and has been remarkably astounding. She has met numerous adult humans and never jumps up on them; she just patiently waits for them to come down to her level for some lovin'. Gracie's foster parents do not have children but when they are out and about, they have encountered some elementary kids. They reported that Gracie became extra wiggly over the 4th-6th graders so they feel comfortable based off of these positive experiences, Gracie would be just fine in a home with older children. One thing Gracie isn't thrilled about on walks are those GINORMOUS, loud diesels that go screeching/barreling past about a foot away from where we are walking. That is another thing that Gracie has improved drastically on. She eventually realized after enough experiences that the GNORMOUS loud trucks aren't going to run her over even though it sure sounds like it sometimes lol. Gracie is a perfect little passenger in the car. She hops right up in the backseat and just waits on us to tell her when we're there ;o)

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdi82t.jpg

It has become apparent that I could go on writing for days, probably weeks because they are so many wonderful things to say about little Gracie girl. She is a perfect representative of the breed. Gracie has proven time and time again that she is stupendous with people and has zero people aggression in any form. There have been no issues with removing food, toys, bones etc with Gracie ever. Gracie truly has one of, if not the most precious personality that I have ever witnessed in a animal. She has the deepest, most soulful brown eyes that are so undeniably engaging. Gracie loves any and all attention that anyone will show her but she isn't pushy. She will just patiently wait right next to you for as long as it takes without constantly pestering you to pet her. You can tell that Gracie just appreciates the fact that she's been blessed with a second chance. Miss Gracie invariably tries her hardest to be on her best behavior every single moment of the day in order to please her humans.

- http://i2.tinypic.com/vdi8t0.jpg

Gracie is undeniably deserving of this second chance at a new life. She is such a sweetheart and at just over 2 years young, she has a long life of love left to give her new family. Do you think that you are the one who will be able to provide Miss Gracie with the life that she so desperately deserves?

=
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 13th, 2006, 11:26 am

Beautiful story, and pics!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 13th, 2006, 11:26 am

Beautiful story, and pics!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » April 13th, 2006, 1:31 pm

what a gorgeous traditional looking little pitty :)

I want another dog (yeah right, when I make more money, live in a house, and first, I have to BUY the house! :lol3: )

ah well, one can always dream...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Purple » April 13th, 2006, 1:36 pm

A thoughtful, well written bio! Who wouldn't want her? :loveU:
Purple
I live here

Postby pocketpit » April 13th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I can't wait for the update that says she's found a family.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » April 13th, 2006, 10:26 pm

:love:

That's all I can say!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby turtle » April 19th, 2006, 12:01 am

She's beautiful! What a lovely correct pit bull. She'll make some lucky owner very happy.

And to think she was thrown out like trash and had to wander the streets hungry and pregnant... Poor girl, I am glad she is safe now.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 19th, 2006, 7:50 am

OMG I wish I could take her! That bio was fabulously written, and that last pic - REALLY FREAKIN' ADORABLE!!!

:love:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » April 19th, 2006, 8:11 am

Such a pretty girl, and a great bio! :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » April 19th, 2006, 11:11 am

Great bio for such a pretty little girl! I hope she gets a forever home very soon!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mistee06 » May 6th, 2006, 2:37 am

i applied for this little darling and my application was approved...just did the phone interview with her foster daddy and that went great :) such awesome people...references went great as far as i know!!! next step homecheck and then getting her here:) i love her so much already...the little princess!
mistee06
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2006, 8:35 am

mistee06 wrote:i applied for this little darling and my application was approved...just did the phone interview with her foster daddy and that went great :) such awesome people...references went great as far as i know!!! next step homecheck and then getting her here:) i love her so much already...the little princess!

YAY!!!!! How exciting! I had wanted her but my LL said no pit bulls. *grump* But I'm so glad to hear that she has found her forever home!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mistee06 » May 6th, 2006, 8:55 pm

i'm just trying to find two more references....my one just left for like 2 weeks cuz she needed a vacation from sitting at home doing nothing...lol :| anyways hopefully i can find them today and we can figure out this homecheck thingie!!!
mistee06
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » May 7th, 2006, 2:42 am

Good luck! I'll be so jealous! :wink:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Purple » June 27th, 2006, 9:36 am

I just found out that Gracie is no longer with us. :cry:
Purple
I live here

Postby muse » June 27th, 2006, 9:42 am

Purple wrote:I just found out that Gracie is no longer with us. :cry:

:?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby Purple » June 27th, 2006, 9:44 am

Bustersmama just posted it in PBF
Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 27th, 2006, 9:53 am

Oh, no! What happened?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » June 27th, 2006, 10:01 am

I'm not sure. B'smama said she will post in memorials, just to give her some time.
Purple
I live here

Next

Return to Rescue