A little help please.

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby hzumstein » January 16th, 2009, 10:03 am

I have a pup that I am wanting to start showing this year. She is 7 months old right now. I am so new at this I have shown horses but never dogs. I have no clue. I have watched them on tv but I have never been to one. I just don't have a clue. Also I didn't have her ears cropped because they stand up but flop at the tips. I know I may be partial because she is my dog but of my gosh I think she is just gorgeuos. Anyway what do judges usually perfer cropped or uncropped or do they. LIke I said I need help on this matter please direct me a little please.
The Zumsteins: Toby, Heather, Toby-Allen, Ellie-Grace, Diesel, Hope, Stormy, Daisy & Lou Lou.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 16th, 2009, 12:07 pm

In my opinion, most judges seem to prefer cropped, though according to the standard both are acceptable. Are you planning to show UKC, AKC or ADBA?

Riggs has stand up ears and I think it has hurt him. Rose are definately preferred for natural ears.

That said, it's waaaaaay late to be cropping his ears, so :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Do you have any clubs near you that offer handling classes? That's what I'd look for...or a breeder that's willing to help you out with the ins and outs of showing.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hzumstein » January 16th, 2009, 12:40 pm

I am not ear cropper anyway. I just wondered what they preferred. I will be showing UKC. She is regitered with ADBA also so it is possible I might cross over. I am not sure.
The Zumsteins: Toby, Heather, Toby-Allen, Ellie-Grace, Diesel, Hope, Stormy, Daisy & Lou Lou.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hzumstein » January 16th, 2009, 12:48 pm

There are a couple of clubs around here but I haven't been able to get ahold of any of them. The guy that I got Daisy from is two hours away and I am going up there next month but a little advie never hurts. :wink:
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 19th, 2009, 7:37 pm

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. I showed Miniature Horses for years, but never dogs.
What has helped me a bunch is going on "You tube" . You can find conformation shows on there so you can see what the judge does and expects, and what you are to do. That way at least you have an idea of what to expect, and how to react. :D hope that helps.
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 19th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Make sure he is 100% comfortable with being handled. Head, mouth, feet and tail. Riggs gets all sorts of fussy when he feels like he is being "man handled" and no matter how he compares to the other dogs in the ring, a fussy jerk is not going to (and in my opinion, should not) be put up over a dog with good manners.

Judges want to see the teeth, some want to look themselves. They will look at the ears, feel the shoulders, might rearrange the feet, touch the tail and "check the boy parts."
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » January 19th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Hi there!
I don't think natural ears are a problem in UKC,or ADBA.
In AKC it would be a problem ,but not in UKC or ADBA. IMO
The best thing you can do is find a training facility which offers conformation training,or just go to a show and learn from the handlers.
Go to this site and you can find many in TN :wink: http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/tra ... e&state=TN
Also many good tips for newbies on the UKC website
http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebP ... ingStarted
http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/DogTraining

Good luck! :wink:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby hzumstein » January 21st, 2009, 5:11 pm

Thanks for all the information this is the first time I have been able to get on here this week. You have given me a lot of good information. I have watched a bunch of shows on tv and I have made sure she doesn't mind being handled. She doesn't mind the vet handling her at all and he gives her the good look over. Her only problem is she is very excitable. That is the only thing that I worry about. I excerise her daily even in the freezing weather so I am hoping she will start calming down a little bit. I guess if confirmation doesn't go well we can always do agilty or fly ball. Thanks for all the help. :wave2:
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » January 21st, 2009, 7:32 pm

Your welcome!
How much are you willing to travel for a show?
I'll be in VA in Feb.,they'll have a 3 day show-WP weekend.Can help you out if you need to! :wink:
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby hzumstein » January 22nd, 2009, 10:00 am

I might be able to make it. How ols do they have to be to show? Is it 8 month? Which she will be 8 months old on feb. 17. Hopefully I will have all of her paper work straightened out by then. When is the show and where?
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » January 22nd, 2009, 4:05 pm

hzumstein wrote:I might be able to make it. How ols do they have to be to show? Is it 8 month? Which she will be 8 months old on feb. 17. Hopefully I will have all of her paper work straightened out by then. When is the show and where?

You can show your dog in the regular classes by 6 mo.,so yes she's good to go! :wink:
Here is the show information:

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Upcoming.nsf/ByM ... enDocument

There will be a specialty for APBT's on Friday night.
If you have any questions let me know.There is a Motel 6 near by the show/and the cheapest motel in the area/and no fees for dogs.
If you decide to go, you can pre-enter before the show, it can save you some bucks...
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby hzumstein » January 23rd, 2009, 12:42 pm

Thanks I really hope we can make it I have to ask the hubby because I am not the driver in the family makes me to nervous.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » January 23rd, 2009, 7:48 pm

Great!
Do you have any pictures of the pup you're planning to show?Side,front etc?
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby hzumstein » January 24th, 2009, 11:57 am

I do but I have been having problems trying to get them uploaded on my computer. I am going to go this weekend and put them on a disk so I can put them up. I will try to have them on some tine toward the beginning of next week.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Conformation