Lifelong Journey on the Road with Spirit

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby beemerchef » January 26th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Houston, Tx

And why not? I received an e mail yesterday from a reader totally amazed to the fact that we could even be near by Houston. Picking our days we actually spend most of Saturday and Sunday downtown with my Friend Kristi playing the landscape, the skyscraper lines, the moving targets, all with our cameras in front of a dreary background as the weather has turned cold and gray.
Surrounded by her Family when back in her lively home, it has been time to do much cooking, conversations, a taste of an urban Life that both Spirit and I have been bypassing for a long time now. We will start heading back west soon, more Hill Country as we have barely skimmed the surface. Life on the road, a multi direction voyage never ceasing to surprise myself on a daily basis.
The sidecar rig has been in the garage, Old Faithful is resting for these couple days as she is nearing her 200,000 mile mark.
Enjoy the photos, they are of the Hills in the Blog.
Be well… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » January 31st, 2009, 1:36 am

Riding back to “The Oasis”…

Cold snap, night time ice, a couple more days in the Hills. Seems to have to order tires every time I turn around, hopefully they will meet us soon to enable us to take off for Death Valley within ten days at the most. We had much fun downtown Houston, I will have to remember that any Big City can be fun on the weekend when the streets are fairly deserted. The gray skies those two days have added another dimension to all these man made masses of cement, metal and glass standing in front of us. There is an Artistry to it, nothing in my eyes however comparable to Nature itself.
We should be back most likely Friday, I can taste the space awaiting us, same as I will be able to again taste the roads once out of “The Oasis”. It is always the same story! When here, want to be there… when there, want to be here. Trying to keep the balance of it all.
Today we rode “Old Tunnel Rd”, “Grapetown Rd” and “Willow City loop. Endless incredible roads, not much for photography however, but discovered other roads for future photos! Of course. Enjoy downtown Houston…
Be well… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » February 1st, 2009, 11:32 pm

The short way back… Tx
More roads in the Hill Country discovered and put aside for the next round when not under a time restrain. The variety is intense. Some great for riding and some incredible for both riding and photography. Will try to make it back when the wild flowers are blooming making the shoulders and waterfalls of the rivers flowing through some, I am sure, incredible backdrops.
The ride back yesterday was pleasant with a tail wind that moved us smoothly here to “The Oasis” which always welcomes us with open arms.
We are again surrounded by the serenity and silence of the Big Bend Valley.
We rode and stopped in Fredericksburg to look at the old buildings and weathered old doors and stones, we photographed “Stonehenge” and ate the best BBQ I have ever had at “Cooper’s” in Llano. Trying not to look at the photos I took while eating, what a shame it is not next door specially that Spirit also totally agreed with my taste buds.
More photos on the Blog…

Be well, Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » February 3rd, 2009, 6:10 pm

Before Death Valley…

Incessant questions arises always within down time as we have been back to “The Oasis” after experiencing a few pages of the “urban” chapter of this Journey. This “is” the space to think truly, amazingly a fact I had not expected when deciding to base camp here for most of the winter. It is all good…
This might be our last day before leaving tomorrow for Death Valley. Something new… we will take the Freeway all the way! Not an attraction for sure but I just want to get there as back roads will take us over a month knowing very well how distracted I can be! 300 miles or so per day, about 140 miles the last day, we should arrive in 4 days. Never planned a route as I have this time, feels a bit strange, will see how it works out. We will probably stay a month or so, plenty of time to get familiar with the area, listen to I am sure some great tips as to where to go and not. Stovewell Campground at first till we discover better primitive camping areas. Our SPOT will be turned on, not too exciting however the first days!
Some more photos of our last adventures are on the Blog.
Be well…. Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » February 3rd, 2009, 7:04 pm

Be careful and ride safe :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby beemerchef » February 8th, 2009, 11:29 am

Thanks, yes... snow now!!!

Freeways to Death Valley…

Texas to New Mexico was great as after arriving in Van Horn we were able to stay on the back roads all the way to El Paso which we bypassed. And then… now in Casa Grande we had to bite the bullet and ride the Freeway. Of course Murphy’s Law gave us a heavy nose wind dropping us down to 60mph at times and a great upper body work out! It lightened up, started over for some reason every time I read the “dust storm might form” big yellow sign! So it is par for the course. 470 miles from Death Valley right now tomorrow will put us close only if we stop… stopping so often! Old Faithful is doing well, she just turned 200,000 miles today, amazing machine with a unique soul she has been.
Calling for some storms tomorrow maybe while going through Las Vegas, we are well protected, 100% waterproof, except for gloves…
Off the Freeway photos on the Blog…
Till next time, from Death Valley, be well…
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 21st, 2009, 11:53 pm

Sorry about not posting... it took this long to get in touch for us to finally get in... we were locked out! Even Spirit could not fix it... Thanks Michelle...

This first day of Spring…
A new page, a new feel, roads yet not taken I feel are awaiting on this first warmer day welcoming us with open arms.
Too much riding lately, as if there is such a thing!
A couple Blogs have been posted with not much time in between… just writing and photos, day after day they are as being transferred from my soul into the pages that keep accumulating to no end.
Road conditions as I found out have changed to the better giving us a chance to ride them with more comfort. Such is Old Maverick Rd, a pleasant surprise. Happy within our own space, however the external dealings sometimes do not create the same results such as with Kiowa Gallery in Alpine taking down my photos without letting me know, for now a month. They do not go hand in hand with “Cowboy Poetry Nights” that took place a while back… That is what I was told finally when discovering such a fact… Life will be Life always dealing with people’s games they play when the word “business” shows up, I still believe in a hand shake… Right or wrong, that is how I now feel… a bit burned about it all.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

*RSS feed as we move on will always let you know about new postings…
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 25th, 2009, 4:55 pm

An eternal circle, Texas
Deeply engaged in a phone conversation, two strangers pull up and start unloading some wood into my existing pile… I am sure this does not happen every day! The rest of the afternoon was a wide open door of a classroom with so much learned from Mike and Louise, 2 free spirited souls on the road now for 14 months. Yes, there are a few of us, vagabonds, travelers, with no roots deeply embedded into only one space. We drag those roots instead and Mother Nature is our textbook, daily, no bells and no whistles, no clock but only tests moments after moments while we learn to survive within this huge mansion which offers us so much wealth and a self recognition unlike any other space.
We have a new addition now to the fire ring that will enable us to cook and have a fire all at the same time. I learned about Wildlife Refuge areas, I even have a new book on how to cook with a Dutch Oven the day we purchase one. New routes from others are like finding gold on this Journey, we have now become even richer!
Amazing how priorities can change, it feels as it’s pyramid has been reversed 180 degrees!!!
Be well… enjoy the Blog… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 28th, 2009, 10:56 am

Black Gap WMA… Texas
The old saying “It is the Journey and not the destination” applies so well here, and yet, the destination is also one we will return to, as getting caught a bit too short throughout the day. Too much chatting… People met are becoming an important facet of our perpetual unmarked and unplanned route. Peaceful and Friendly souls appear as we suddenly realize what makes our World go around. It is “people” value as I know and always think we cannot buy, lease it or rent it!
That was the case when we stopped in “Stillwell” before getting into the Wilderness area of Black Gap, 100,000 plus acres of desolate and raw space, that day without a soul around.
The SAT phone has become my assurance throughout these isolated parts we adventure ourselves on. As much as I love my buddy Spirit, well… he has never lifted a paw yet toward any kind of bailing out situations… mentally yes, physically? No…
We have also been approved to be sponsored by SPOT, which is great news and a window should be up in a few weeks for “in real live time” tracking from the site… that is only when I have it on!!!
This adventure begins on the Blog…
Be well… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby CinderDee » March 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Congrats on the SPOT sponsorship, Ara!

Safe travels. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby beemerchef » March 31st, 2009, 11:48 pm

Thank you... it is a relief to have it!!!

My own reality check… Texas

Maybe too sheltered? Maybe not enough outside “news”? I even forget to check on the weather at times. We live on the road, we travel, we seek for adventures, new Friends are always on the horizon. “Mother Nature” and “Spirit” are my faithful companions. For that matter “Old Faithful” also which just turned 200 this morning! And yet, new survival aspects make their ways into our lives. Comments are written, some are bad news, some are OK news and some I cannot even think about. They should make me pack up and change planet.
I see all as a pleasant challenge, a “good one” I think as our prize is beyond any fortune one could really afford. It is here and there, it is really “free” and it is not going away. We will find ways to keep company always as it really does not take much, just one to strike away the fear of the fear.
I write about Spirit on my Blog today… I say that he is in all reality the true Leader if there was ever one amongst him and I.
Closer and closer we will be on these grounds that are always welcoming us, no matter what…
Be well… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 3rd, 2009, 11:47 pm

Ardys… 77, riding and having “fun”, Texas

I always thought that as the years flew by us, inconveniently often enough for my taste, that one slows down, specially when it involves a physical activity such as motorcycle riding where the senses need that demanding sharpness.
I had heard of Ardys for a while now, some riders are legends it seems like, and it has been a pleasure to finally make her acquaintance yesterday. (maybe it was the day before! We have both in common some forgetfulness!!!).
It reminded me that there is such a word as “fun”, real fun… often maybe I forget while being in deep thoughts within this beautiful environment we are provided with. Ardys has fun. I watch Spirit play, he has much fun no doubt, so I think it is due time that I have also some more “fun” in a bit more conscience ways.
We had a nice dinner last night around my Center of the Universe, much grilling and much smoke. Sometimes the “adventures” and good times come to us! We don’t have to go anywhere…
Be well… always. Ara & Spirit… with a nice new bone!
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » April 4th, 2009, 11:21 am

Spirit most certainly looks happy, and like he is having fun!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby tri-pod » April 4th, 2009, 12:27 pm

man,what a life.on the open road without a schedule or care,just me and my dog.you have a good life.keep livin it,good reading.
im RICK JAMES bitch!
tri-pod
Just Whelped

Postby beemerchef » April 6th, 2009, 5:44 pm

He always has a good time! Of course... it is my duty to make sure he does!!! :mrgreen:

The greatest loop… Texas

That is what I call this route when leaving from near by Terlingua headed north to Alpine, west to Marfa, drop down through Pinto Canyon, back eastbound to Presidio, finally arriving where we started from.
The weather was incredible, not so today, as the ultimate would have been to spend a night or two at the Chinati Hot Springs with much more leisurely time to explore the area.
It is a very isolated space, the road can be a bit tricky and always advise to ride it from north to south. I actually don’t think we would have made it the other way.
Company is always good, specially in the case of an unpleasant scenario, help could take for ever to get there if communication is not available. It has been a real peace of mind having SPOT track us and also the SAT phone available just in case.
Of course with Spirit around why should I need help? Wrong… Great co-pilot but his help stays limited to the mental attitude, sometimes really the most important one.
More on the blog…
Be well… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 8th, 2009, 11:28 pm

“Pausing” in Texas
After reading a quote by “Salman Rushdie”, I understood better why we are on the road, why I have in the past lived on a sailboat for many years, why I just cannot bring myself to a “normal” way of Life.
We are on the less frequented side of the coin, it is a coin with two green sides, there is no wrong and there is no right, there just “is”.
It is interesting however to know that so many from the other side, “the belongers”, would like to jump over and even if it is for a short time join us, “the non-belongers”. We are a few, circling at times, on a straight road at other times, curvy ones, but all with just about the same goal of finding ourselves within a space we can feel more comfortable.
Simplicity is part of the logistics and at the same time brings on a harder path to deal with when uprooted day after day.
I thought about writing the few intricaties on the Blog while ourselves are “pausing” these last few days on “The Oasis”, trying to make our future path logistically an easier one. The usual sorting “things” out, tires, oil changes… you name it.
Be well… always. Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby airwalk » April 9th, 2009, 10:30 am

We all do so enjoy your living outside of the "normal". You take us places we haven't yet seen. Ride safe.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Pit♥bull » April 9th, 2009, 1:05 pm

Wishing Ara & Spirit a happy Easter :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 11th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Thanks!!! I guess we will have to llok for some real eggs... and not distub them!!!
Have Happy one also... Thank you... Our last weekend here, much to do... and then again... what is a weekend at this point!!! (50mph+ winds by the way right now... Spirit is rocking!!!)

Yes, this too is a ride report… Texas

I cannot help remenisce while trying to leave winter behind and get on destination North, toward my usual freedom, roaming the land that has now become our Home. The retrospect is immense, moments have flashed by, one behind another, but my companions, Spirit and Mother Nature have stood by me. They have both gratified me with greatness, they have truly been the two common denominators that have never deviated from the truth, in dark times and in bright times they have only known one path. The true path.
It is so strange how I can feel being here, wanting to leave and yet, wanting to stay. Everywhere will always be there but we have to go, we will be back here when again the Northern winds push us South. In the meantime, a few more days and the wheels will be rolling longer than the recent past, the camera will get a good work out and my Soul with a smile can only lead me forward.
Be well…
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby CinderDee » April 11th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Happy Easter Ara & Spirit. Safe journey!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk