living in a small apartment

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby hicker233 » February 27th, 2009, 12:08 am

I would like some advice.

I recently moved into a shared apartment, I had to left my dog behind. Now I don't know what to do, I asked my roomate if I can bring her in. He says it's ok, but I am not sure.
I go to college so I will be out say 6 hrs in the afternoon, and I will start working in a week or so, night shift.
Any thoughts? What should I do? Any of you living in a small apartment, how do you do it?
hicker233
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » February 27th, 2009, 12:41 am

I think anything is doable. :) Walking, crating, and plenty of human time, and I think she will be perfectly fine. Dogs are much more adaptable than we give them credit for. If she is high strung than make the time daily to spend time with her, take her for walks, and wear her out. As long as you do what you can, give her time, and exercise I think she'll be fine. Where did you leave her?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hicker233 » February 27th, 2009, 1:38 am

I left her with my dad, but he is moving out of state. She will be definitely far away, in a different environment... I guess she will be alright, I just don't want her to go, I don't know what is better for her ...and me. I'd rather keep her, I want to keep her, but I don't know if I will have the time to be with her and I don't want her to suffer.
hicker233
Just Whelped

Postby Fuego » March 16th, 2009, 5:36 am

Hi,

Maybe there's the possibility to find a kind of dog-nanny who takes care for her during the day. A second family where she can stay and is well cared for. Another possibility would be a dog walker who comes when you're away so she doesn't have to wait so long. A lot of people who don't want to or can't have an own dog do this around here. You just have to make sure the person is qualified, responsible and comes along well with your dog.
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » March 16th, 2009, 7:35 am

Hey there! I live in a very small semi-studio with my two dogs and my rabbit, so I feel your pain!!

Though currently I can take my dogs to work with me, once I start school that won't be the case. I will be putting up kennels in my garage for my dogs to stay in during the day.

A walk before you go to work, a walk before you go to class if you have time, may be sufficient. But if you don't think you can do that, hiring an experience dog walker would be a great idea.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Living with your Pit Bull