Eggs

Postby Fuego » May 10th, 2009, 10:53 am

Hi,

Twice a week I put vegetables in the mixer and add one egg. My dog weighs about 25-30 kg (haven't weighed her for a while). Do you think I should feed more eggs?
Also I'd like to know if it's ok to feed goose or even ostrich eggs. :?
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » May 13th, 2009, 9:56 am

I would not have a problem with feeding either to Gator. I tend to give Gator a few eggs a week. 3 on average.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby LMM » May 13th, 2009, 10:04 am

I usually give all 5 of mine one egg daily.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Fuego » May 22nd, 2009, 4:32 am

Thanks for the replies.
I will give more eggs now, probably three to five each week, depending on what I feed.
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » May 22nd, 2009, 4:49 am

I probably wouldn't give a whole ostrich egg in one meal... those things are HUGE. :shock: :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyPuppy » June 15th, 2009, 11:51 am

I understand that feeding daily eggs is too much. I forget about feeding them but I wouldn't do more than 2-3 a week (I usually only remember to feed 1 egg a week). I also grind up the shells and feed shell with each egg that I feed. I have also read that dogs absorb like 40% more egg when it's cooked or slightly cooked but I hate to wash extra pans so I haven't committed to cooking dog eggs yet... Any type of eggs is good!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » June 15th, 2009, 11:55 am

HappyPuppy wrote:I understand that feeding daily eggs is too much. I forget about feeding them but I wouldn't do more than 2-3 a week (I usually only remember to feed 1 egg a week). I also grind up the shells and feed shell with each egg that I feed. I have also read that dogs absorb like 40% more egg when it's cooked or slightly cooked but I hate to wash extra pans so I haven't committed to cooking dog eggs yet... Any type of eggs is good!

OH.... :shock:
I've been stirring an egg with Dar's afternoon feeding for several months now. And with this morning feeding, I give him 1/4 cup cottage cheese.

I feed half/half of Innova Large Breed puppy and Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy...

Does this sound okay???

I wonder if I just hard boil a bunch a week, then give him a hard boiled egg, so he absorbs the nutrients. *uh. this sounds like more work*....

:D
((jody, who doesn't mind admitting to a bit of laziness.........
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby HappyPuppy » June 15th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Well...I was going on memory - now, I can't find any articles to back up my statements.... Cheeky was the last person I remember commenting on cooking vs not cooking eggs (not for salmonella but for percentage of digestion) - maybe she'll chime in. I also just read that Cheeky said (in an old thread) it's OK to feed eggs daily and I would trust her experience tho I personally still feel that I wouldn't mess with eggs on a daily basis - I'll send her a PM. :)
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » August 16th, 2009, 8:19 pm

I have chickens, and therefore homegrown eggs. I don't feed my dog's eggs all the time, but I simply give them the entire egg and they eat it shell and all. Now that we're starting to feed raw I think it's something I'll do maybe once a week.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » August 16th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Raw egg whites bind with biotin, so if your dog has hair loss issues you don't want them to have raw eggs.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » August 16th, 2009, 10:00 pm

mnp13 wrote:Raw egg whites bind with biotin, so if your dog has hair loss issues you don't want them to have raw eggs.

does this have ANYTHING to do with causing a dog to start shedding??

Dar has just started t shed....and here I though maybe I had found the shed-less breed of dog!!!
ArtGypsy

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 16th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Inara's molting as well.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » August 16th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Maybe it's the time of year...........

((hey wait. doesn't a song start out that way???)) **humming...maybe it's the time of year, maybe it's the time of man.....Hey! It's that woodstock Song.....))) :dance: :dance:

----Jody, who needs herself for endless entertainment
ArtGypsy

Postby mnp13 » August 16th, 2009, 10:25 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:does this have ANYTHING to do with causing a dog to start shedding??

Yes and no. well, No, I don't think so. But when a dog has thin hair, adding biotin to the diet can help their hair get thicker by keeping the hair in longer (the same way it works for people)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Raw Feeding