PrePackaged RAW

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » January 22nd, 2006, 8:56 pm

i once tried Oma's Pride.. it was super expensive. but the dogs loved it.. jesse is allergic to chicken and turkey, so i would have to give other kinds of meat... there is also Bravo, and some others.. has anyone tried any of these, and if so, what is your opinion of the pre made raw diets? while i give the Timberwolf food, i am always trying to keep my options open with a dog that is basically allergic to every grain possible and chicken and turkey....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 22nd, 2006, 10:05 pm

I've used Bravo for over a year. I've had really good results with the dogs on it. I also will sometimes buy the Nature's Variety patties, but they are expensive.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 23rd, 2006, 6:52 am

ME, I would love to go that route, but I can't afford it right now. Why don't you try it again?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2006, 11:31 am

Wally eats the Nature's Variety: Prairie. I tried Bravo but he refused to touch it. His coat has gotten absolutely gorgeous on this stuff. I tried to do homemade raw for about two months and it just wasn't the same, so we're back on the Prairie. It's expensive, but it's totally worth it.

And it makes me laugh at people who scoff at purchasing a $40 bag of Innova, which lasts them a month, and complain that they can't afford it and need to switch back to Ol' Roy. Gimme a break!! I spend WAY more than that each month and just have to buy Pabst Blue Ribbon instead of Sam Adams :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 11:49 am

the problem i have is jesse.. she cant have any grains at all..or chicken and turkey..

i am thinking of doing natures variety again.. the other 2 dogs loved it, jesse the queen b took a while to like it.. but then she ate it.. i was told the natures variety has too much bone ratio in it.. does anyone know if thats true??

i spend $90 every 5 weeks on 3 16lb bags of Timberwolf dry food.. if i buy the 33 lb bag its usually $150 every 5 weeks... so the price of raw is not a big deal to me, i tried the homemade way, rufus and sonny loved it, but had the runs something fierce, and then were bound up.. so i obviously did something wrong.. their detox was horrible too.. bad coat, stinky, etc... i did it for 2months.. jesse actually had the worst detox out of the 3 dogs.. i am seriously thinking of doing the premade raw again.. i can get natures variety , oma's pride at the feed store , and possibly bravo too..

which ones are the best??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Maryellen wrote:the problem i have is jesse.. she cant have any grains at all..or chicken and turkey..

i am thinking of doing natures variety again.. the other 2 dogs loved it, jesse the queen b took a while to like it.. but then she ate it.. i was told the natures variety has too much bone ratio in it.. does anyone know if thats true??

i spend $90 every 5 weeks on 3 16lb bags of Timberwolf dry food.. if i buy the 33 lb bag its usually $150 every 5 weeks... so the price of raw is not a big deal to me, i tried the homemade way, rufus and sonny loved it, but had the runs something fierce, and then were bound up.. so i obviously did something wrong.. their detox was horrible too.. bad coat, stinky, etc... i did it for 2months.. jesse actually had the worst detox out of the 3 dogs.. i am seriously thinking of doing the premade raw again.. i can get natures variety , oma's pride at the feed store , and possibly bravo too..

which ones are the best??

My nutritionist (or rather I should say, my dog's nutritionist) prefers the Nature's Variety. She thinks that the Bravo is one step down, and she does not feel that the Omas is complete enough and needs too many supplements. Some dogs have found the NV to be too high in bone content (which causes some of the pukies) so you can just add some extra ground meat to the meal so that there is more of a meaty cushion if it makes you feel better.

It is definately way cheaper to make it yourself, but like you, I obviously did something wrong as Wally had the hershey squirts on and off the whole time. I need to make an appointment to sit down with the nutritionist and go over a full menu.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Nutrition & Health