Introducing Vinny to RAW

Postby hugapitbull » August 7th, 2009, 1:16 pm

And it's not just the cancer/chemo that is lowering his immune system -- the Lepto is also going to play a large part in that. I personally would wait for any major diet changes until after the chemo and doxy treatments are done and Vinny's system stabilizes.

I agree with this one. Make as few changes as are necessary until they get ALL of the issues under control.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby HappyChick » August 7th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Thanks Everyone for the great input. I read all the links Christine sent and listened to the words Dr. Blakeley said too. All say RAW is fine for a dog with a HEALTHY immune system and I understand that Vinny's immune system is compromised at this time. This is what I've decided:

1. Vinny is not getting dry dog food aka Purina anymore. It feeds the cancer so it is out of the question.
2. Vinny is getting a variety of food which includes the k/d Prescription Diet from Dr. B, cooked food which includes; plenty of meat and fat (no bones and taking care when introducing new meats), as many veggies as I can get him to eat, and a couple of other foods to maintain balance. I did some research and came up with some good, balanced recipes - all lightly cooked.
3. Vinny will occasionally get some raw beef fat BECAUSE Dr. B said it was o.k.
4. Vinny will be getting an immune boosting supplement recipe, that again, Dr. B was not AGAINST and it is packed full of vitamins and minerals that he needs.
5. Vinny is drinking purified/filtered water instead of tap water.
6. Vinny is no longer allowed to drink water that he finds outside!

He is doing SUPER right now!!! He ate terrifically yesterday and today. His appetite is great! No vomiting, no nausea, and soft, formed poo. He seems to have more energy, is feeling playful again, and had a bark fest with the neighbor dogs today. Thanks again, everyone, you helped me a great deal in making the decision as to what to feed and not to feed my heart dog! :D
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » August 7th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Yay for feeling better! :D
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hugapitbull » August 7th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Great Update. Way to go Vinny :dance:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » August 7th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Yup, what Shanna said!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » August 8th, 2009, 12:31 am

HappyChick wrote:Thanks Everyone for the great input. I read all the links Christine sent and listened to the words Dr. Blakeley said too. All say RAW is fine for a dog with a HEALTHY immune system and I understand that Vinny's immune system is compromised at this time. This is what I've decided:

1. Vinny is not getting dry dog food aka Purina anymore. It feeds the cancer so it is out of the question.
2. Vinny is getting a variety of food which includes the k/d Prescription Diet from Dr. B, cooked food which includes; plenty of meat and fat (no bones and taking care when introducing new meats), as many veggies as I can get him to eat, and a couple of other foods to maintain balance. I did some research and came up with some good, balanced recipes - all lightly cooked.
3. Vinny will occasionally get some raw beef fat BECAUSE Dr. B said it was o.k.
4. Vinny will be getting an immune boosting supplement recipe, that again, Dr. B was not AGAINST and it is packed full of vitamins and minerals that he needs.
5. Vinny is drinking purified/filtered water instead of tap water.
6. Vinny is no longer allowed to drink water that he finds outside!

He is doing SUPER right now!!! He ate terrifically yesterday and today. His appetite is great! No vomiting, no nausea, and soft, formed poo. He seems to have more energy, is feeling playful again, and had a bark fest with the neighbor dogs today. Thanks again, everyone, you helped me a great deal in making the decision as to what to feed and not to feed my heart dog! :D

I think this is a GREAT idea!

For veggies, cook them & pureee them. You can try freezing them into cubes & give as a treat. If that doesnt work you can also add the cooked meat into the puree & hide the veggies that way. When I was feeding veggies I made liver protein "shakes" for my crew. :puke: I used raw liver but you can cook it for him. Also ( if you can find it) beef heart is a WONDERFUL meat for him to eat, and the price is usually around $1 a pound...for me anyway

What about fruit? Does he like apples or pears? Could you substitute fruit for veggies?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby hugapitbull » August 8th, 2009, 9:19 am

The fruit and vegetable thing may not be an issue. Trouble loves them. She will eat broccoli stems for a treat :crazy2:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » August 8th, 2009, 10:07 am

I'd be careful with too much fiber via fruits/veggies, though. In combination with doxy, you may get explosive results, LOL. :shock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Previous

Return to Raw Feeding