Today is National Pet Obesity Awareness Day

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 3:06 pm

http://www.petobesityprevention.com/awareness_day.htm

On Wednesday, October 14, 2009, the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention will conduct our third national pet obesity study. Our mission is to obtain real-world data concerning pet obesity in the United States in the Third Annual National Pet Obesity Awareness Day Study. The first two studies included approximately 100 veterinary clinics, schools and pet-related organizations.

In order to better understand the growing pet obesity epidemic and trends in overweight dogs and cats, we need your help. On October 14, 2009 we are asking you to record simple information for each pet that you perform a routine examination on that day. How many pets and the detail of information you obtain is up to you. Obviously the more the better but our goal is to determine more accurately the exact number of pets in the United States that are overweight or obese. Our experience with the previous two studies indicates this should add no more than 2-3 minutes to your normal physical examination routine.

If you are interested, simply complete the form and we will contact you with handouts, instructions, and measuring tapes to complete the study. This study is independent of any and all corporate sponsorships or involvements. It is important that this study remain neutral to protect the integrity and interpretation of results. If you have any suggestions, questions, or concerns feel free to contact me directly: DrWard@PetObesityPrevention.com or
call 910-579-5550.

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Obviously the more the better but our goal is to determine more accurately the exact number of pets in the United States that are overweight or obese.

I'll save them the trouble of doing research. The answer is "all of them."

Dmo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Malli » October 14th, 2009, 4:20 pm

oh good grief Demo :rolleyes2:

I can't even believe they need to make this a day :doh:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » October 15th, 2009, 6:54 am

Ms. Darlene Linguine resents this thread. And may resemble it.
:neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » October 15th, 2009, 12:34 pm

just a little bit :wink:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 15th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Malli wrote:oh good grief Demo :rolleyes2:

I can't even believe they need to make this a day :doh:

On Monday nights we have 70 dogs in the training building for classes. I can honestly say that 75% of them are obese. Most of the rest are chubby (including Ruby.) I don't think more than a handful are actually at a truly healthy weight, and I don't even mean a Riggs/Kayden weight, I just mean healthy.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 15th, 2009, 1:59 pm

I can't say I've noticed it is quite THAT bad here...
but there are a number of obese dogs.

I'm not sure how the owners don't see it...
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 15th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Malli wrote:I can't say I've noticed it is quite THAT bad here...
but there are a number of obese dogs.

I'm not sure how the owners don't see it...

Honestly? Because I don't think they know what to look for, and don't have any guidelines. If you look at the average show dog they are severely overweight, and the average owner looks at a picture of "their breed" on breed posters or other publications and show dogs are what they see. So they follow that guideline.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » October 15th, 2009, 3:45 pm

I have been told numerous times that I should feed Gator more. I am sure when Sorsha gets older I will hear the same thing about her.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 15th, 2009, 4:52 pm

I always get people appalled at Inara - "I've seen greyhounds fatter than her!" :rolleyes2:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » October 15th, 2009, 5:56 pm

My old basset...I could put both hands around her waist and they'd meet on both sides.

I talked to a woman in a pet store once, while I was walking Harding (my basset):

Woman: "Oh, cute dog, she's part basset, right?"

Me: "No, she's all basset...100%"

Woman: "She can't be...she's so skinny!"

8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » October 16th, 2009, 5:32 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:My old basset...I could put both hands around her waist and they'd meet on both sides.

I talked to a woman in a pet store once, while I was walking Harding (my basset):

Woman: "Oh, cute dog, she's part basset, right?"

Me: "No, she's all basset...100%"

Woman: "She can't be...she's so skinny!"

8)

:giggle:

I like to keep my dogs on the lean side of healthy, I am paranoid about DJD. I can't even tell you how often I get comments, especially at dog classes, about how thin she is. I can't even be shocked anymore, people just don't know what a healthy dog should look like.

Michelle, I think you are totally right. When all people see on TV and in movies, etc... is blobular dogs, why would they not think that's right? I think an awareness day is a good idea, maybe it will give people a chance to find out how dogs should look.

ETA Oh, and to illustrate the point of perception, I say I keep my dogs on the lean side of healthy but compared to Riggs and Kayden, Shelby is a chubba wub.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby kera09 » October 17th, 2009, 11:46 pm

i've been told duge needs to put on a few lbs, you can slightly see his ribs but no other bones!!! hes a lean mean muscle machine, hehe. As for ava ummm i feed her to much what can i say.. :confused: she looks cute a little chunky. And lulu well shes in between duge and ava :dance:
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » October 18th, 2009, 11:46 pm

Maddie is FAT, you can rest a plate on her fat ass back! I don't know, she's suddenly just putting on weight right and left, is that possible? I'm going to take her to the vet sometime next few months, just because not because I'm worried.. I've cut back on her food, and she seems to be going around scrounging for anything. :nono:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby BullyLady » October 18th, 2009, 11:51 pm

Jenn wrote:Maddie is FAT, you can rest a plate on her fat ass back! I don't know, she's suddenly just putting on weight right and left, is that possible? I'm going to take her to the vet sometime next few months, just because not because I'm worried.. I've cut back on her food, and she seems to be going around scrounging for anything. :nono:

That's a pretty classic symptom of hypothyroidism, they will probably want bloodwork with a T4.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » October 19th, 2009, 12:47 pm

BullyLady wrote:
Jenn wrote:Maddie is FAT, you can rest a plate on her fat ass back! I don't know, she's suddenly just putting on weight right and left, is that possible? I'm going to take her to the vet sometime next few months, just because not because I'm worried.. I've cut back on her food, and she seems to be going around scrounging for anything. :nono:

That's a pretty classic symptom of hypothyroidism, they will probably want bloodwork with a T4.

agreed. My vet says its fairly common in the breed.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » October 19th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Hmmm... Thanks ladies very interesting, going to have to read up on that.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby blabsforbullies » October 23rd, 2009, 10:47 am

When I used to take all my dogs to work with me everyday :crazy2: , I used to use them as a "this is how your dog SHOULD look" example. :smileUp: Every day, multiple times a day, I'd go and get out a dog and show them. Even the doctors I work with would do it. 8) It was awesome. :dance:

It was amazing to me how showing people really made more of an impact than just ne saying it. If they can see theirs next to another, it was quite obvious. :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Pit♥bull » October 23rd, 2009, 12:44 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:It was amazing to me how showing people really made more of an impact than just ne saying it.
"A picture is worth a thousand words" :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies