Looking For a Recipe

Postby Marinepits » December 30th, 2009, 10:56 am

Does anyone have a recipe for sugarless peanut butter "cookies" or treats for dogs?
Please share! :dance:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » December 30th, 2009, 11:19 am

Here's one I make for Xander ("Roo")...he loves 'em...and you can use sugar-free p.butter...it's easy and they love them.
The first recipe on the page:
http://www.red-rover.biz/ripleysrecipes ... reats.html

And here's one of my favorite treat websites...the peanut butter treat page
http://www.dragonbear.com/rec-pb.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » December 30th, 2009, 11:29 am

Does it have to be peanut butter? Sarah sent a box of 'ginger bones' with Trouble's SS and both dogs LOVE them, and they smell heavenly. I'm tempted to try one myself :shock: I'll post the recipe if you want it.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » December 30th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Erin -- thanks! Those recipes look GREAT!

Shanna -- please do post the recipe. It's not like Shorty will turn down a treat, LOL. :rolleyes2: :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Hundilein » December 30th, 2009, 10:05 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Does it have to be peanut butter? Sarah sent a box of 'ginger bones' with Trouble's SS and both dogs LOVE them, and they smell heavenly. I'm tempted to try one myself :shock: I'll post the recipe if you want it.

They actually don't taste that good because they have no sugar in them. Yes, I tasted them :oops:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » December 30th, 2009, 10:11 pm

I've tasted them, too....they taste like health food. :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » December 30th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Most dog treats don't have a lot of sugar, or no sugar...John and I always say..."Just add some sugar and fat to these, and they'd be tasty!" lol

These are my new favorites...they smell DELICIOUS! (they taste pretty good too) I used a finely grated apple, not applesauce.

1/4 pound low fat Neufchatel cream cheese
1/2 cup all natural apple sauce, no sugar added
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 ° F (165 ° C).

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Knead dough on a floured surface. Roll dough 1/2-inch (12 mm) thick. Cut with cookie cutter of choice. Put on cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn off oven and let cookies sit in oven 1-2 hours to harden.

This recipe from Kooper's Doggie Desserts by Cheryl Gianfrancesco, is reprinted with permission of the kind folks at Kooper's Products. If you love to spoil your dog with, special and tasty, nutritionally sound treats, get this book!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Marinepits » December 30th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Ha, I should probably add that I'm looking for recipes that will help Shorty keep weight ON, not these healthy recipes! :giggle: The little bugger burns up calories so quick!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » December 30th, 2009, 11:32 pm

Marinepits wrote:Ha, I should probably add that I'm looking for recipes that will help Shorty keep weight ON, not these healthy recipes! :giggle: The little bugger burns up calories so quick!

Satin balls?

TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » December 30th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Full fat yogurt and salmon oil?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » December 30th, 2009, 11:39 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Satin balls?

Nah, I want to keep muscle on her, not just "empty" weight/fat. She's doing quite well with a bit of extra kibble, and I've added cottage cheese, full-fat yogurt, eggs, and peanut butter to her diet (thanks, Matt!), but I really want to just keep/add muscle without all the mess that those foods create -- she's a sloppy eater and doesn't appreciate me cleaning her face, LOL. Hence the cookies and treats. :lol3:

BigDogBuford wrote: salmon oil?

Thanks, I'll check that out!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » December 30th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Marinepits wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Satin balls?

Nah, I want to keep muscle on her, not just "empty" weight/fat. She's doing quite well with a bit of extra kibble, and I've added cottage cheese, full-fat yogurt, eggs, and peanut butter to her diet (thanks, Matt!), but I really want to just keep/add muscle without all the mess that those foods create -- she's a sloppy eater and doesn't appreciate me cleaning her face, LOL. Hence the cookies and treats. :lol3:

BigDogBuford wrote: salmon oil?

Thanks, I'll check that out!

I've never had a problem with dogs not keeping/gaining muscle on satin balls...I've always used them to put weight on quickly, and my guys are never fat with them...just don't have sticking out hip bones. ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby hugapitbull » December 31st, 2009, 12:19 pm

OK, I must admit I have placed the recipe in the Christmas clean up 'away' place. I will find it as I pick up clutter in the next day or so and get it posted. :oops:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies