Animal Planet Investigates: Dog Fighting Exposed

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Marinepits » January 21st, 2010, 8:15 pm

http://press.discovery.com/us/apl/press ... ere-anima/

THE BRUTAL WORLD OF DOG FIGHTING IS UNCOVERED IN PREMIERE OF ANIMAL PLANET INVESTIGATES
Dog Fighting Rings are Exposed in new Tell-All Documentary on January 25

January 6, 2010

(Silver Spring, MD, January 6, 2009)- Cruel and inhumane "sports" involving animals for human spectacle and entertainment have been part of underground culture for decades, but the Michael Vick case truly opened up America's eyes to the vicious world of dog fighting. ANIMAL PLANET INVESTIGATES: DOG FIGHTING EXPOSED shows that his case was only the tip of the iceberg. Kicking off Animal Planet's new ANIMAL PLANET INVESTIGATES anthology strand, this special investigation features unparalleled commentary and shocking, never-before-seen footage in a rare look into the secretive world of organized dog fighting. This hour, which premieres Monday, January 25, at 10 PM (ET/PT), is the first in a line of quarterly ANIMAL PLANET INVESTIGATES specials that will take a comprehensive, investigative look at timely issues that impact both humans and animals.

With the help of law enforcement officers who between them spent years as undercover dog fighters, ANIMAL PLANET INVESTIGATES: DOG FIGHTING EXPOSED delves into the minds of those who breed dogs and raise them to fight. These officers share their experiences of dealing with criminals, high-stakes gambling and uncontrolled brutality while infiltrating top dog fighting rings. A female ex-dog fighter gives a glimpse into the mindset of those who exploit their dogs in this lucrative business, and interviews with local citizens show what happens when easy money attracts youth to the brutal practice. The special examines cases across the United States, including Ohio, Texas, Georgia, Michigan and New York, to show the scale and complexity of the problem, while also offering glimmers of hope.

"By bringing viewers the true and uncensored reality behind dog fighting, we intend to raise public awareness about this cruel and inhumane practice," says Marjorie Kaplan, president and general manager of Animal Planet. "The brave men and women working tirelessly to expose and dismantle these fighting rings are using daring tactics and thanks in large part to their efforts we were able to share this powerful story with our viewers in an in-depth and unprecedented way. Some of the images might be tough to take, but it's vitally important that these stories are told."

A problem commonly found in urban areas, ANIMAL PLANET INVESTIGATES: DOG FIGHTING EXPOSED shows that dog fighting has tentacles that reach beyond the dark basements and garages to seemingly respectable homes and businesses where the fights take place. Gang activity and crime are often associated with these dog fighting rings, and the culture of abuse encompasses much more than just the dogs. Because of the large amounts of cash passed around at these fights, dog fighters invest a lot time and money into breeding and training a champion. The sad reality, however, is that a champion often earns its title at the expense of its adversary's life - and often its own. Losing dogs rarely die in the ring, but they are routinely and brutally killed by their owners.

While breaking up these rings is still a battle, the special highlights some of the great strides that have been made. There are now harsher punishments for dog fighters, and what was once considered "sport" has now been labeled a felony in all 50 states.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jcoffey917 » January 22nd, 2010, 9:56 am

I'll have to set this to record, I'm sure it will make me cry though!
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby madremissy » January 22nd, 2010, 12:15 pm

I am not sure I will be able to watch. I am not sure how I feel about it yet. :confused: Right now, I don't know if it is the best way to try to help stop dog fighting.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Ino » January 22nd, 2010, 1:08 pm

I like some of the Animal Planet shows; however, recently I have been picking up on some unsettling Pit Bull themes and comments their shows. For example- the correlation with Pit Bulls and criminals on 2 different rescue shows and a comment on their new show Wild Recon (episode 3- Bounty Hunter)where Donald Schultz was trying to catch a wild crocodile and it was snapping at him so he said something like "it's snapping at me like a Pit Bull- it's insane" :rolleyes2: . I felt that comment was totally not necessary and could have been easily edited out of the episode. I actually was so shocked that I rewound it put the closed caption on to be sure that is what he said in case I midunderstood him due to his accent- sadly, I did not. There is no reason to compare a wild crocodile's behavior to any domesticated dog breed's behavior- especially a negative behavior with a breed already battling a bad rap. I hope that they are more careful about their presentation in their upcoming Dog Fighting Exposed program.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 22nd, 2010, 1:18 pm

I was ripping through a really good book the other day and the protagonist made a statement comparing a nasty criminal to a "rabid pit bull". :neutral: That one statement coloured my whole opinion about the book and author and I didn't enjoy it quite as much afterward.

I really do try not to let comments like that bother me because I feel that I'm being a bit over-sensitive to the subject, but sometimes an unexpected one sneaks through and just bursts my balloon, LOL. *sigh* :(
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Ino » January 22nd, 2010, 2:02 pm

Sometimes the comments do not bother me, especially when it comes from someone who really just does not understand or know any better. I think the reason that this got to me is that Animal Planet is supposed a channel dedicated to animals and a lot of their programs are geared towards education instead of being only for entertainment so I guess I hold them to a higher standard. I honeslty am more disappointed with the Animal Planet editing crew than the individual who said it, since he deals with wildlife not domesticated animals. I am not refusing to watch AP and I am not angry- more like disappointed, but I do hope they are careful with the presentation of the upcoming show on dog fighting.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2010, 7:54 pm

:bump: This is on tonight!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » January 25th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Gah... the HSUS is involved... that can't be good. :bs: :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL