American Temperment Test www.atts.org

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby katiek0417 » February 12th, 2010, 11:57 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I just wondered about the equipment and if they'd make exceptions for someone with a disability for some reason...just like you'd accept that the dog was protection trained, so okay it'll behave a certain way. John has to use a scooter...and I'd have him test Sawyer, as that's HIS dog. But honestly, he uses a short leash because anything else wraps around the back of the scooter...and John cannot PHYSICALLY get the leash untangled...and will get annoyed if he can't get Sawyer loose (which would completely change Sawyer's behavior...lol)

Just picking your brain! 8)

(FYI...for normal use, he uses a short leash, and if Sawyer needs to move out away from him, he takes the leash off the arm of the scooter and lets Sawyer go with the leash draped on his back...essentially "off-leash).

That's a great point, Erin....there is a specific REASON that John has to use a short leash...and, in my opinion, a much better reason than why Cy or Nisha would lunge after gunfire...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby dlynne1123 » February 12th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Let me see how accomadating they are for situations like these. Our last test was in the woods on a back trail to avoid busy distractions at the park. Its wasn't the most hospitable of trails. I imagine a scooter could go up it though. We had one woman with a cane and a service dog (rotti-great dog by the way) but she did the test herself, with a helper bringing the dog back and forth to the test site for her. I have to find my manual or email my cheif tester for this may! Let me get back to you on that one. I remember the tester asking her if she was testing herself or if she had someone else to test the dog.

Let me look for an answer for ya!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » February 12th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Ok, until I hear back from the big guy. It sounds like there are options, as far as who can test the dog. As far as your client testing you want to find about the course ahead of time. Some are in fields, some are in the woods, etc. Still has to be a 6 foot leash, and strictly no off leash dogs during testing. If someone lets go ofthe leash in case of emergency thats ok, so long as we're confident we can get the dog back. And if its not a trail that he can maneuver, he can have anyone he trusts walk the dog. Again, its really about the dogs reactions, with or without the owner.

If I get anymore details from my cheif tester I'll let you know!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 12th, 2010, 12:57 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:Ok, until I hear back from the big guy. It sounds like there are options, as far as who can test the dog. As far as your client testing you want to find about the course ahead of time. Some are in fields, some are in the woods, etc. Still has to be a 6 foot leash, and strictly no off leash dogs during testing. If someone lets go ofthe leash in case of emergency thats ok, so long as we're confident we can get the dog back. And if its not a trail that he can maneuver, he can have anyone he trusts walk the dog. Again, its really about the dogs reactions, with or without the owner.

If I get anymore details from my cheif tester I'll let you know!

Hmmm...okay.

(BTW, John's my BF...not my client)

Doesn't sound very accessible for people with disabilities...okay, I'll have to make sure to ask if I ever find a test in my area. John won't like this...;) There's no way he's taking his scooter into the woods unless the trail is paved. And I don't think everyone would appreciate picking his ass back up after he tips over and falls out. So I'd have to handle his Service Dog...hmmm... :neutral:

I mean, it's not like I don't handle Sawyer often...but to make John NOT able to do so... :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 30th, 2010, 11:03 am

Is anyone going to the test on April 25th in Malta NY? I'm considering it. I've never done anything like that before.
What are the benefits of having a ATT cert.? I may want to try to take CGC or do theropy work in the future. Will this help or give me an idea if she is cut out for those type of activities?
I think she would do well, she is a very socialized dog.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby StalkerBlueDog » March 30th, 2010, 11:33 pm

A little twist for those of you who regularly deal with breed profiling in general..

My little sister took her blue sheltie boy to a TT. Someone went through the test examples before hand and explained how certain breeds don't react well to certain tests.. shelties were used for mutliple examples.. Not knowing what breeds people were testing of course.. She was the first to test and the person who explained the test just looked down and apologized.

My sister looked at him and said no need to apologize. He'll do just fine.

Hardest thing for her boy honestly was the no talking to him as an obedience dog/velcro herding dog.

He passed with flying colors though.. difference between her and me.. that's when I would have turned to the person who introduced the test and said "now you can apologize"..
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior