Apartment hunting-no fun!!!!

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby Ino » December 17th, 2009, 10:53 am

So, I am trying to move back home to central Florida around June.....so far- apartments in the area I am looking to move to are not renting to people with a "dangerous breed" :x . I am not willing to relocate unless I can be sure I will not get down there and get evicted over the breed restriction rules. Giving Ino up for an apartment is NOT AN OPTION. I am hoping I can find someone to overlook the breed thing, but am thinking I may have to find a place that is not part of a large apartment complex- something along the lines of where I live now- a private landlord who wishes to rent their property out. If I don't find a place- I stay where I am and try to get a good job in the green career field I am going to school for and save up for a house down payment then move. What is hard is my current location does not have many decent paying jobs at all. It is a small, low income county. I am not upset with my choice to have Ino at all- he and the kitties are my world!!! I knew that this issue could (and most likely would) arise initially, so I I am not shocked but I guess my frustration is just that I wish we as an "intelligent species" would be past this kind of crap! I really wish it was easier and that so many people weren't so damn ingorant!!!! :rolleyes2: Guess I will just keep looking- I have some time before I plan to move.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » December 17th, 2009, 11:16 am

Taken from http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweile ... cific.html

COLOR LEGEND:
BLACK = breed specific law in place
RED = breed specific law repealed
GREEN = decided against a breed specific ordinance

FLORIDA(City of Pembroke Pines and the City of Hollywood soliciting to amend prohibition of BSL state-wide)
Coral Springs, Dade County/North Miami, Deltona, Sunrise, Tamarac

According to this site as well http://www.floridaanimallaw.com/2008/03 ... ation.html
First Coast News reports on the proposed legislation in the Florida house that would allow local governments to enact breed-specific bans for certain types of dogs. While not mentioning them by name, House Bill 101 is aimed at allowing pit bull-bans and would repeal an 18 year-old state law that prohibits local governments from passing regulations that target specific breeds of dogs. Currently, Miami Dade is the only county in Florida to ban pit bulls, having passed its local ordinance before the state law was passed. The article captures some of the controversy behind the legislation by first describing two recent attacks by pit bulls and then countering with arguments from individuals and groups opposed to the legislation. The article specifically notes opposition being offered through a new blog at the Florida Doberman Pinscher Rescue Ring.

You may have already googled that information, but it doesn't look like it's state wide. What County are you looking to move to? If Miami Dade, I'd say definitely choose somewhere else in Florida to live! Besides Florida has all those hurricanes, you sure don't want to be at the bottom! ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Ino » December 17th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Jenn wrote:Taken from http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweile ... cific.html

COLOR LEGEND:
BLACK = breed specific law in place
RED = breed specific law repealed
GREEN = decided against a breed specific ordinance

FLORIDA(City of Pembroke Pines and the City of Hollywood soliciting to amend prohibition of BSL state-wide)
Coral Springs, Dade County/North Miami, Deltona, Sunrise, Tamarac

According to this site as well http://www.floridaanimallaw.com/2008/03 ... ation.html
First Coast News reports on the proposed legislation in the Florida house that would allow local governments to enact breed-specific bans for certain types of dogs. While not mentioning them by name, House Bill 101 is aimed at allowing pit bull-bans and would repeal an 18 year-old state law that prohibits local governments from passing regulations that target specific breeds of dogs. Currently, Miami Dade is the only county in Florida to ban pit bulls, having passed its local ordinance before the state law was passed. The article captures some of the controversy behind the legislation by first describing two recent attacks by pit bulls and then countering with arguments from individuals and groups opposed to the legislation. The article specifically notes opposition being offered through a new blog at the Florida Doberman Pinscher Rescue Ring.

You may have already googled that information, but it doesn't look like it's state wide. What County are you looking to move to? If Miami Dade, I'd say definitely choose somewhere else in Florida to live! Besides Florida has all those hurricanes, you sure don't want to be at the bottom! ;)

I am looking to move to Brevard County, which is on the east coast of Central Florida. There is no BSL in the county (they do have a dangerous dog law but it is based on an individual dog's behavior not their breed). The breed restrictions seem to be rental specific and mostly due to insurance issues for the complexes.

Here is the dangerous dog info for brevard county which is listed on the animal services website:

What is a Dangerous Dog?

Any dog that, according to the records of Brevard County animal services and enforcement:

(1) Has, without provocation, aggressively bitten, attacked, or endangered a human being, or has inflicted severe injury on a human being on public or private property; or

(2) Has, without provocation, severely injured or killed a domestic animal while off the owner's property; or

(3) Has been used primarily, or in part, for the purpose of fighting, or is a dog trained for dog fighting; or

(4) Has, without provocation, chased or approached a person upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in an aggressive, menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack; provided that such actions are attested to in a sworn statement by one or more persons, and dutifully investigated by the appropriate authority.

(5) A dog shall not be declared dangerous if the threat, injury, or damage was sustained by a person who, at the time, was unlawfully on the property or, while lawfully on the property, was teasing, tormenting, abusing, or assaulting the dog or its owner or a family member.

(6) No dog may be declared dangerous if the dog was protecting or defending a human being within the immediate vicinity of the dog from an unjustified attack or assault.

If Animal Services finds sufficient cause to declare a dog as "Dangerous", the owner is notified in writing. At this point the owner has three options:

1) Appeal the notice of sufficient cause to the Dangerous Dog Council, who will hold a hearing and either accept or rescind the declaration (note: if the Council accepts the sufficient cause findings, the owner may appeal their decision to the County Court); or

2) Comply with the Dangerous Dog Restrictions (listed at the bottom of the page); or

3) Sign the dog over to Animal Services and Enforcement.

To comply with the Dangerous Dog Restrictions a dog owner must have:

1) A current certificate of rabies vaccination and animal license tag for the dog.

2) A locked, secure enclosure to confine the dangerous dog, and the posting of the premises with a clearly visible warning sign at all entry points that informs both children and adults of the presence of a dangerous dog on the property.

3) Proof of permanent identification of the dangerous dog, such as a tattoo or an electronic implantation, as specified by the Animal Services and Enforcement Director, within twenty-four (24) hours of release.

(4) Payment of the applicable annual fee for the issuance of certificate of registration required by this section. The annual fee shall be established by resolution of the Board.

(5) Proof that the owner has procured liability insurance in the amount of at least one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) covering any damage or injury, which may be caused by the dangerous dog during the twelve-month period for which licensing is sought. The owner shall name the county as a certificate holder and notify Animal Services and Enforcement of any cancellation, modification, expiration or termination of the liability policy required by this section.

(6) The owner shall obtain a dangerous dog tag from the Animal Services and Enforcement Director or designee that shall be worn by the dog at all times. The purpose of the tag shall be to provide immediate identification to Animal Services and Enforcement and the public that the dog has been declared dangerous.

(7) The owner shall have the dangerous dog sterilized and shall present appropriate evidence of said sterilization by the veterinarian who performed the operation within sixty (60) days of the effective date of the dangerous dog declaration.

(8) Within ninety (90) days, the owner, at his or her own expense, shall complete approved owner responsibility training and provide proof of completion to the Animal Services and Enforcement Director.

(9) Five years after the date that the dog was declared dangerous, the owner may request a reduction of the annual dangerous dog certificate fee, as provided by resolution. Any such request shall be granted in the event that there have been no violations of this article since the dog has been declared dangerous.

For further information on Dangerous Dog laws, please refer to our "Ordinance Book " sections 14-49 and 14-50. "
http://www.brevardanimalservices.com/DD ... 202009.htm
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby reign99 » December 17th, 2009, 1:13 pm

From the description of "dangerous dogs" there I don't see how yours would fit the criteria, unless he's bit someone before (or was a fighting dog)?
reign99
Just Whelped

Postby Ino » December 17th, 2009, 2:32 pm

Nope- Ino does not fit that criteria, he has never attempted to bite anyone :dance: . I actually think their guidelines are reasonable and am all for the requirements for owning a dog deemed dangerous there (owner responsibility training, mandatory liability insurance, visible warning signs, mandatory sterilization, permanent ID, etc). They also put up a pic of the dogs on the website and the owners name/address. Also, atleast if the behaviors change- you can eventaully apply to have it overturned. Atleast the ones on the list arent ONLY the dogs portrayed as "dangerous and unpredictable" by the media on the county's list. Although there are quite a few pit bulls, rotties,a chow and Shepherd mixes- there is also a lab, husky, malamute, mastiff mix, dane mix, 2 hound mixes and akita. The county takes problem animals on a case by case basis. I think it is more human aggression they target. The neighbors 2 dogs stalked then killed my mom's 2 cats and the animal control officer felt that both were in the wrong- dog off leash, cats outdoors- so no citation was issues and the dogs werent placed on the list. I only posted that info because it explains the ordinance there and that the county does not have BSL. The problem for me is that apartment complexes have their own rules for liabilty reasons, which is making it a difficult searching process.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 19th, 2009, 10:26 pm

I would definitely recommend a private renter over a complex, you're much more likely to get fair treatment. But, no matter what that landlord tells you, make sure that the pet policy is very specific and in writing on the lease / renter agreement.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Ino » December 20th, 2009, 6:04 pm

I contacted a few people who listed apartments on craigslist that did not look like part of a complex to ask their pet policy and I also called the local shelter there- who told me they have a pet gazette newspaper that lists the pet friendly apartments in the area that may be worth calling. I am definately going to make sure that they put it in writing so there are no problems later. Thanks for the response, Michelle. :D
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Fuego » January 7th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Hi,

You're not alone. I have just been looking for a new flat for seven weeks. I made 189 applications which resulted in six appointments. :cry: At least five of them failed of other reasons than the dog.
Now I have found a nice flatmate who works at a shelter and had an AmStaff for a few years :D
Never give up hope :wave2:
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby Ino » January 10th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Fuego. I did find one place that does not have breed restrictions. They are a little out of the area I would prefer to be in, but at long as I am in the county I want to be in and Ino is allowed, I am happy. My friend is going to stop in and check it out for me to be sure it is not in a drug infested area and does not seem to accommodate criminal activity. The managers seem nice- the guy had a sense of humor. When I asked about his pet policy, he joked that giraffes were a little too big for the apts, hippos can be problematic and he won't even go into what happened with the rhinos. He said they prefer to meet the dog, but if it is not possible- he will take a letter from the vet stating that Ino has no bite history ( he has 2 vets that know him so that will be easy) and a letter from my current landlord will go a long way to show that he is not destructive. I did tell him Ino initially barks and growls at strangers but has never tried to bite anyone (I wanted to be honest so there are no surprises for them). I will be looking for a trainer down there so we can get to the point where when I say enough, the barking stops and he will sit. If he never is totally comfy walking right up to a new person that is ok, but I can't allow him to bark/growl in a larger complex like he does here. We are somewhat isolated here and the few people living on the property have known him since he was a pup so it does not scare him like it would to someone who does not know him.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Ino » March 22nd, 2010, 7:55 am

I got a call the other day about that apartment- I am approved!!!! It is more than double the space of the apt I am in now! :D
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 22nd, 2010, 7:59 am

Well done!!! Congratulations!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » March 22nd, 2010, 5:31 pm

Whoo Hoo! Party at YOUR APT.!!!! :bananaDance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » March 22nd, 2010, 5:52 pm

Fantastic!!!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Ino » March 23rd, 2010, 9:17 am

Thanks, ladies! I am very excited!!! :D Party at my new place in June!! lol It will be a good move for all of us- the kitties will enjoy the new place since it is much bigger and most likely- the air quality will be better (no trash burning outside my place and better maintenance). Ino will benefit from more exposure to new people because we are pretty isolated here...it will be good!!! I just have to make sure to take my longer walks with Ino really early and late when the sun is not too harsh, with short walks in the shade to relieve himself when it is hot- he is super sensitive to heat!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Ino » May 11th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Well, I decided to stay in NY for a while...that apartment complex back home seemed shady and there are no other non-breed restricted apts that I could find. Since giving up my boys to move isnt an option, looks like we are staying where we are. The goal now is to find a decent paying job after I graduate (Saturday) and save up for a down payment on a house. :|
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » May 17th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Well, congrats on graduating!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Living with your Pit Bull