Switching Reno and Guido's Dog Food

Postby HappyChick » March 23rd, 2010, 3:49 pm

I did some research, trying to find a decent quality dog food for the boys. Celena eats raw, but the boys refuse to eat it. I was looking for something better than regular commercial dog foods (yuck), not too expensive (as I'm living on my income only now), and something available within a reasonable driving distance (tired of paying shipping costs for everything).

So I found 4health dog food. Here is what one reviewer said: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -food-dry/.

I went yesterday to Tractor Supply Co. in Galesburg (40 min. drive) and picked up a 35# bag for $30 and also picked up some natural and organic treats. I read online that the price is so reasonable because it's made specifically for TSC to sell so there are no middle men. I'm mixing it with their other dog food and so far so good.

Does anyone else on this forum feed 4health to your dogs? What do you think of it?

Thanks!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2010, 4:13 pm

Is this the TSC brand...in nice new plastic-type bags? If so, I thought about switching my gang last time I was there, but I can get the Diamond Naturals for a cheaper price, for what I consider slightly better ingredients. The Diamond isn't perfect, but it's a better deal, imho.

I put the bags side-by-side and compared ingredients, and then price compared. I get the Diamond Naturals Chick/rice for $34.99 for 40# and the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete (chick/rice also) for $37.99 for 40#.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby HappyChick » March 23rd, 2010, 5:09 pm

Yep, this is the one in the plastic-type bags.

I almost got Diamond Naturals instead, but I hadn't found much online about it. I do see that it is a little higher in protein and lower in carbs than the 4health. Wish I'd have asked before I went shopping. :rolleyes2:

Thanks, Erin. :)
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2010, 5:51 pm

HappyChick wrote:Yep, this is the one in the plastic-type bags.

I almost got Diamond Naturals instead, but I hadn't found much online about it. I do see that it is a little higher in protein and lower in carbs than the 4health. Wish I'd have asked before I went shopping. :rolleyes2:

Thanks, Erin. :)

yeah, I've been feeding the Diamond Naturals for a while now...my guys were on the Kirkland version (Costco), but it cost too much to get the Costco membership just for dog food...lol. So we switched to the regular Diamond Naturals. Not the best food ever, but good for the price! Score looks fantastic and only has to eat 2 cups of the Extreme Athlete (he was eating 4+ cups of the regular chick/rice).
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » March 25th, 2010, 1:10 am

What do they do when you try to feed them raw?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » March 25th, 2010, 5:58 am

mnp13 wrote:What do they do when you try to feed them raw?

Their locking jaws probably get closed tight around the bones. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » March 25th, 2010, 8:08 am

mnp13 wrote:What do they do when you try to feed them raw?

They leave it sitting in their bowls. They don't even show much interest when I'm preparing Leni's food. I fed Reno raw for awhile last year when I started cooking Vinny's meals. He seemed to like it at first, then he started liking it less and less until he just stopped eating it. Guido never acted like he liked it.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyChick » March 30th, 2010, 5:23 pm

So Erin, do your dogs get really bad gas from the Diamond Naturals? Reno's gas from the 4health is so rank it makes my eyes tear up and I actually felt a little nauseous last night after he tooted. :puke: When I got home from work the day before yesterday, the house smelled like rotten eggs and I had to run Lavender Oil in the Brethe to get rid of the smell.

I think we will be switching food again after this bag is gone if this is what I have to look forward to....I can't live life in a gas mask.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 30th, 2010, 5:29 pm

HappyChick wrote:So Erin, do your dogs get really bad gas from the Diamond Naturals? Reno's gas from the 4health is so rank it makes my eyes tear up and I actually felt a little nauseous last night after he tooted. :puke: When I got home from work the day before yesterday, the house smelled like rotten eggs and I had to run Lavender Oil in the Brethe to get rid of the smell.

I think we will be switching food again after this bag is gone if this is what I have to look forward to....I can't live life in a gas mask.

Nope, we don't get gas here unless they've gotten into the cat food...lol

FYI...Michelle...I have a "OHMYGODWHATISTHATYOU'RETRYINGTOFEEDME?!?!?!?!" raw hater here...Inara refuses to eat raw meat. Well, she'll eat a dainty bite of fatty meat that I cut off my chicken or steak, and she's been known to eat a chicken heart just so the boys can't have it. She also enjoys a raw marrow beef bone...but tires quickly of them. But to try and feed her raw? I got them all chicken necks as a treat the other night...boys crunched and gulped...Fig was eating pieces almost as big as he was. Two of the cats snagged necks and ran off to eat them. Inara was NOT impressed, and would not put her lips on a gross, raw, slimy neck. She held out till I gave her some kibble so she would have something in her belly.

TheRedQueen

Postby airwalk » March 30th, 2010, 6:21 pm

OHMYGODWHATISTHATYOU'RETRYINGTOFEEDME?!?!?!?!"

You must have been watching Scooter the last time I tried to just give him a raw bone!! :D :o
airwalk
I live here

Postby Jenn » March 31st, 2010, 12:16 pm

You could try Taste of the Wild, it's what my two eat and I get it at Tractor Supply as well.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby madremissy » March 31st, 2010, 12:56 pm

Jenn wrote:You could try Taste of the Wild, it's what my two eat and I get it at Tractor Supply as well.

Ditto, when I was looking for a decent food I was sent to the only place around that had anything and I got TOTW. It has done wonders for Sammy's skin and Kinzyl's coat. I just have to watch Travis when he feeds them because he seems to think that they are not getting enough but 2 1/3 cups is plenty. Some days too much for her.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies