DrinkBetter Bowl

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » March 28th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Has anyone tried the drink better bowl?

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/drinkbetter/

Mia has a drinking problem. She gulps down water so fast that she vomits it right back up. It doesn't matter how much water is in the bowl she must drink it ALL!! I've been regulating her water intake so she can only get a little at a time, and putting her in her crate to let it "settle" after she has a big drink. However this is getting old. I was hoping she'd grow out of this... but has not.

This bowl says it will help? Anyone use it?
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » March 29th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Never used it, but it seems like it would slow her down. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » March 29th, 2010, 6:23 pm

My Mac has the same issue with water. We tried putting some rocks in his bowl to slow him down and all it did was make him frantic because he couldn't get his water fast enough. More mess, more air inhaled, more burping, and eventually more vomiting. :shake:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » March 29th, 2010, 6:49 pm

The vet suggested putting ice cubes in her bowl. Little good that did! She slowed down just long enough for her to crunch the ice cubes in half and swallow them. She acts like she has never seen water before, and she is dying of thirst every time she has access to water. Free drinking, she drinks much more than is "normal" for her weight. I guess I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work she has an expensive pretty pink water bowl!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby call2arms » March 29th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Giving small amounts of water at a time may be a better option... A coworker has a crazy (and I mean will bark and turn her bowls over frantically for water kind of crazy) weimaraner, and the only thing she can do is give her something to dring every 2 hours, in smaller amounts. She calculated how much she needs to be well hydrated and that's all she gets... Sad but otherwise she'll gulp down the largest bowl of water until there's nothing in it, and ask for more.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » March 29th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Thats what I'm doing now. Mia's water is regulated, she only gets a small amount of water in her crate at one time. Then she goes out to potty about 20 min later, if not she pees on the floor! But I'm tired of hearing a paw smack the water bowl from my other dog. I can't leave a bowl of water down, because as soon as Mia comes out of her crate she darts to the waterbowl to see what she can find. I'm hoping this may be helpful in slowing her down. If not I'll continue to regulate water in her crate, and Kodi gets some when he asks for it and when Mia gets hers.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle

PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » March 30th, 2010, 6:33 am

I am sure you checked, but it's not a medical problem or OCD that makes her drink so much water? Only reason I ask is because when I got 10 year old Lenny last year, he was OBSESSED with water. Vet checked his urine and he had some number a little high. (Duh, forgot what is was.) But it seemed it was just an OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR because he was never allowed water while in his crate 24/7.

He just sat by the water all day and sipped it, all day. Then of course, he had to pee a lot and being older, and in poor health, wasn't able to hold it in. Now that his routine is ya know..more humane :rolleyes2: ...he isn't obsessing.

I know Standard Poodles can be a bit obsessive....my DIL's family has one and she is loving called, "The Village Idiot".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 30th, 2010, 9:33 am

iluvk9 wrote:I am sure you checked, but it's not a medical problem or OCD that makes her drink so much water? Only reason I ask is because when I got 10 year old Lenny last year, he was OBSESSED with water. Vet checked his urine and he had some number a little high. (Duh, forgot what is was.) But it seemed it was just an OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR because he was never allowed water while in his crate 24/7.

He just sat by the water all day and sipped it, all day. Then of course, he had to pee a lot and being older, and in poor health, wasn't able to hold it in. Now that his routine is ya know..more humane :rolleyes2: ...he isn't obsessing.

I know Standard Poodles can be a bit obsessive....my DIL's family has one and she is loving called, "The Village Idiot".

I asked on here a while back about this problem (before Kat joined PBT)...and even Dr. Blabs said that it can be learned or hereditary.

Mia's sister (Shimmy, the SD in Training) has the same problem...as does their father, Logan. Their aunt, Lily, has the same problem also. Shimmy was with me for a while for training/socialization, but I had to send her back to the breeder and a different trainer, because she couldn't be loose in my house because of the water obsession...I have 6 dogs and 6 cats that rely on water bowls being down at all times...and Shimmy would just drain them and then pee a giant puddle on the floor, usually after she urped up a giant puddle on the floor! :nono:

So far no medical reasons have cropped up, and they all live in different houses...so there is no exact reason for the behavior.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » April 25th, 2010, 11:35 pm

This bowl is AMAZING!!! :mrgreen:

So I was a little skeptical at first when I read the reviews on this bowl but I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place with her drinking. I had to try something!

I've had the bowl for over 24 hours now, and it has been full of water the entire time. I haven't been able to leave a full bowl of water down sense she came to live with me in November. There has been no water regurgitation so far. Usually we'd have up to 3-4 a day.

I'd say she is drinking like a normal dog for the first time in her life. She isn't acting like she's never seen water before, and it is the last time she'll ever see it. She still drinks a lot, but in a slower, very controlled manner. She no longer gulps down mouthfuls at a time until the bowl is empty. She is also a much quieter drinker now! The 10 foot trail of water that followed her from the bowl has disappeared too. I'm hoping this continues.

I think I'll be purchasing another! This time in pink. I've been very pleased so far! :dance:
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle

PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies