Losing weight

Postby AllAmericanPUP » April 19th, 2010, 8:26 pm

What would cause a dog who is eating normally and is still 100% active to lose weight? He's getting the same amount of food and exercise he has always got but is losing weight..?
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby amazincc » April 19th, 2010, 8:37 pm

How much weight has he lost, and in what amount of time?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » April 19th, 2010, 8:42 pm

how old is the dog, what breed...what type of food.

Score loses weight substantially in the spring...he eats a certain amount during the winter, and he exercises heavily throughout the winter (sproinging through 2 feet of snow helps with exercise! lol).

Come Spring, he has to go up at least a cup of food for a while...as his body adjusts...and you can count every rib and vertabrae...it's sad to look at for a while! :rolleyes2: Looks like a neglect case (except for the muscle)...since he doesn't have much to lose in the first place.

He normally eats 2 cups of Extreme Athlete food...high protein/high calorie food...this spring, he's gone up to 3 1/2 cups of the same food, to get some weight back on.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby AllAmericanPUP » April 19th, 2010, 10:57 pm

he's 6 1/2 yrs old, golden retriever mix. has lost enough weight to where you can feel his hip bones and spine. has lost the weight in the past month.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby amazincc » April 19th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Hmmm... I would probably get him to the vet for a check-up and some bloodwork asap. He's almost due for his senior profile anyway. :wink:
I don't want to start speculating over the Internet... unexplained weight loss can be a symptom of any number of illnesses, or it could be "nothing" (like Erins Score).
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » April 19th, 2010, 11:09 pm

yeah, I'd take him in to the vet...if he's "older" and dropped weight suddenly, that's a warning flag for me...vet time!

Keep us updated!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » April 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:if he's "older" and dropped weight suddenly, that's a warning flag for me...vet time!!

Yup, same here.

Is this Ozzy? Hope he's okay!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby AllAmericanPUP » April 19th, 2010, 11:52 pm

yup yup its ozzy.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Malli » April 20th, 2010, 3:08 am

yeah a bit of a red flag, I'd get him in pretty promptly.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies