Fitting a Prong Collar

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » June 4th, 2010, 12:53 pm

I'm on a new forum and there is some discussion going on about prong collar fitting. As usual, people are being sent to the leerburg site, but I really don't like that article all that much because in my opinion the collar being used is too big for the dog and it still sits pretty low on the dog's neck. Dobermans have giraffe necks, and it should still be up under the ears. :wink:

So, here are Riggs and Connor modeling their collars.

Connor works on a size small - there are 12 links in his collar.

Riggs works on a micro - 18 links in his collar

The collars fit right up under their chins, and the leash ring belongs at the top of their neck behind their ears. This keeps the prongs at the most sensitive part of their neck - where you can give the most efficient correction possible. You should not have to yank on the collar, a finger twitch should get a response from your dog. I had a 110 pound woman handle her 130 pound dog aggressive Great Dane on a medium prong in my class with no problem, as long as it's where it belongs.

If your dog is under 75 pounds, get a size small collar and just get extra links for it. Smaller links and more of them make for better, more efficient corrections, which means that you'll have to give fewer of them! I've had a Mastiff and a Great Dane in my classes, I have yet to have a dog need anything bigger than a size medium collar. When I want a backup collar for safety, I used a nylon slip lead. I highly recommend using a backup collar at all times, you can never be too safe. Using a flat collar as a backup collar will interfere with your prong collar unless you are using two leashes or have a coupler.

In my opinion Herm Sprenger is the best brand. They have rounded prongs, which are better for corrections. They also have a small plate at the end for putting the collar on. I never use rubber tips on the collar, blunting the corrections defeats the purpose of the collar... don't use it in the first place if you don't want to give your dog corrections. You will just create conflict, if your dog needs a light correction, give it a light correction. If you can't give it a light enough correction without rubber tips on the collar, then it doesn't need a prong collar. :)

A note about micro prongs - Riggs competes in weight pull and has pulled a ton in training. Yes, a ton. He is plenty strong. He could straighten those links out, but he is at a point in his obedience training where that is not an issue. I very rarely use a prong on him in training at all, but when I do, that is the one I use. Micros are not appropriate for dogs that are above "toy" unless they are into advanced obedience. They are not very strong, but at the same time, they are capable of giving quite harsh corrections.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » June 4th, 2010, 4:15 pm

thanks so much, Michelle!!!
I took your advice last year and got Dar Herm smaller size prong, but now I see I must not have it on nearly tight enough, as it slides down to this lower part of the neck by the time we take 3 steps.

I knew it needed to go high up, but MAN, I guess it has to be a lot tighter to make it more efficient.
THIS could be the MAIN reason i can't control Dar on the prong. I simply haven't been able to correct hard enough when I needed to. *like when he sees a squirrel . NOTHING, not even cooked chicken treats has been enough to get him to stop lunging for the critter dejour.... :(
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby hugapitbull » June 4th, 2010, 6:27 pm

How do you get the collar on that tightly without pinching them putting it on?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » June 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm on a new forum

Uhm... WHAT?!?!? :shock: >( :nono:

lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » June 4th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Those two boys are simply gorgeous!

I didnt know much about prong collars, then I came here. I followed your guidance with Vinny's prong collar (from Sprenger) and it worked wonderfully! He was a different, calmer, dog using that prong collar and your training instructions. Thanks again!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » June 4th, 2010, 10:43 pm

amazincc wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I'm on a new forum

Uhm... WHAT?!?!? :shock: >( :nono:

lol

Yeah, Like she thinks We'll Just Let that Slide..... :nono: :sad2:
ArtGypsy

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2010, 12:40 am

lmao

Never you mind that... don't know why I posted it except for this thread seemed to come from nowhere, though in retrospect, no one probably would have asked... duh Michelle. :rolleyes2:

No worries, my friends, you are all my number ones. Always. :D

hugapitbull wrote:How do you get the collar on that tightly without pinching them putting it on?

Just put it on :| Once you've done it once or twice it's easy. The micro is a bit of a pain because it rolls.

The collars fit. The skin on the neck is loose enough that I just pull it out of the way, put the collar on, and then arrange everything back to where it needs to be. I have to pull rolls of it down below the collar anyway to get it up where it belongs.

Both of those collars spin around their necks without a problem, they fit, they are not over-tight.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » June 5th, 2010, 1:00 am

I am forever struggling with this issue. We use a small prong collar, and one link out means it's too tight, I can't spin it around on her neck, and one link in means it's too big, it slides down her neck. That means that when it's on her she's in this state of perma-half-correction.

I admit, we use it as a band-aid lately, she behaves better with it on so we still use it even though I can't get the fit right.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2010, 1:27 am

BullyLady wrote:I am forever struggling with this issue. We use a small prong collar, and one link out means it's too tight, I can't spin it around on her neck, and one link in means it's too big, it slides down her neck. That means that when it's on her she's in this state of perma-half-correction.

I admit, we use it as a band-aid lately, she behaves better with it on so we still use it even though I can't get the fit right.

I would err on the side of it being too small, and make sure the leash is in a big J shape at all times while walking her. Put it on a half hour before her walk, and leave it on for a half hour after her walk - supervised of course. Use a nylon slip as a backup at all times.

After two weeks, add the other link in. At this point, if you've been consistent with having the collar on before and after your walks, and been consistent with her handling you probably won't be giving her any corrections anyway. Keep using the nylon slip as backup.

Another two or three weeks, and you may be able to start weaning her off of it.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » June 5th, 2010, 7:58 am

BullyLady wrote:I am forever struggling with this issue. We use a small prong collar, and one link out means it's too tight, I can't spin it around on her neck, and one link in means it's too big, it slides down her neck. That means that when it's on her she's in this state of perma-half-correction.

SAME HERE!!! :shock:

I'll try and get it on him with one link taken out, but I remember thinking "Holy cow, that's too tight">
but sure enough if I add a link it slips right down.

The thing with Dar, too, is he's so damn jumpy. Always have been. :|
Sometimes if he even sees stuff that's weird comin' at him, he BOLTS and dashes around the house.
I like to NEVER got his monthly heartworm/flea drops put on his back yesterday. It was smeared ALL over his back.... :nono:
Just like the vet........had to muzzle him cause he just was NOT going to stand still for that shot.
Last night, I went to take him out and put him on the Yard'Tie Out so he could Poop...(we have two tie outs...one close to the house, on the porch so he can potty, and one yard one). I had to take a flashlight and he wouldn't even hold still because of the flashlight in the same hand as his collar. Had to sit the flashlight DOWN, (let him see it was not close to him and would not HURT THE POOR BABYY) and then snap on the leash.

After just typing all this , I realize this is most likely another topic entirely..... :neener:
ArtGypsy

Return to Training & Behavior