How to begin an awareness group in OK?

AZ, NM, OK, TX

Postby pitsnok » August 28th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Bad Rap recently posted on facebook an article about the Newkirk, OK dogs and the 'punishment' the man was given for his crimes. It is graphic, but I highly encourage reading it.

http://badrap-blog.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... -dogs.html

I haven't even seen anything on this story from the local news since it happened...and that is NOT OKAY with me. This is something we as Oklahomans should know about. We should know how lightly animal abuse is taken in our state. If someone was caught growing marijuana they would NOT have been able to pay $10k and get out of it...so why should someone be able to do that when LIVES were taken by his hands?

This has gotten me thinking. We don't really have any organized pit bull awareness groups in the area. Luckily national groups got involved with the Newkirk case, otherwise who knows what would have happened to the dogs.
Although I have very little free time in my life right now I feel like I NEED to be doing something. I am not okay with doing nothing when I know things like this are going on, and people are so misinformed.

So, I'm wondering, from those of you who are active in your community in raising pit bull awareness, where can I start? Do I call news stations, and papers and ask them to run a story? Do I get involved with the only bully rescue in our state which is a few hours away? Where do I start? What can I do to make the people of my great state see the truth?!

If anyone from Oklahoma would like to maybe schedule a meeting, or something so we can do some brainstorming please PM me. I am just feeling helpless and I truly think this is my calling.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 28th, 2010, 3:48 pm

I don't know, but I applaud your endeavor. :clap:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Tubular Toby » October 10th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Hey, I would be interesting in helping out too! Not sure where to start really, but I'm in if you're still wanting to do it.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Return to South West