Family Lab Shot After Police Respond to House Alarm

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2010, 1:13 am

HappyChick wrote:Oh Honey...if it makes you feel better to BLAME me for the ways of the DICKS, go ahead! I'm so totally used to being blamed for the other gender's shortcomings... no worries here! MWAH!!! Love you too!!!

You are literally too dumb to understand anything I write.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby SLS61185 » October 14th, 2010, 1:53 am

Patch is crated when we're gone only because he would eat the house and destroy everything in his path if not.... However, his crate is right by the front door, basically. You walk in, it's the dinning roon and there's his crate. So, he's the first thing someone sees.

Angie, I'm with you, though... I would like to know how in the hell that was even justified.

And wow... Some people....

My uncle is an officer in DFW and has been for like 15 years or so... He's now in charge of close to 100 people, if not al ittle more.... So I 'understand' the need for their safety, but I'm slowly starting to dislike a lot of them, now.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2010, 2:02 am

SLS61185 wrote:Patch is crated when we're gone only because he would eat the house and destroy everything in his path if not.... However, his crate is right by the front door, basically. You walk in, it's the dinning roon and there's his crate. So, he's the first thing someone sees.

Angie, I'm with you, though... I would like to know how in the hell that was even justified.

My uncle is an officer in DFW and has been for like 15 years or so... He's now in charge of close to 100 people, if not al ittle more.... So I 'understand' the need for their safety, but I'm slowly starting to dislike a lot of them, now.

This has been answered in this thread. Did you read the responses or just post?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby CinderDee » October 14th, 2010, 5:07 am

DemoDick wrote:
HappyChick wrote:Oh Honey...if it makes you feel better to BLAME me for the ways of the DICKS, go ahead! I'm so totally used to being blamed for the other gender's shortcomings... no worries here! MWAH!!! Love you too!!!

Demo Dick

Wow. That is just so rude. :nono:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 14th, 2010, 7:09 am

Alright, EVERYBODY step away from your keyboards for a bit. The attitude in this thread is getting ridiculous. Don't make me lock it.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SLS61185 » October 14th, 2010, 1:02 pm

DemoDick wrote:
SLS61185 wrote:Patch is crated when we're gone only because he would eat the house and destroy everything in his path if not.... However, his crate is right by the front door, basically. You walk in, it's the dinning roon and there's his crate. So, he's the first thing someone sees.

This has been answered in this thread. Did you read the responses or just post?

Demo Dick

Oh I read them alright... Doesn't mean I agree, like, nor accept it.
Stac

SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2010, 6:49 pm

SLS61185 wrote:Angie, I'm with you, though... I would like to know how in the hell that was even justified.

Shooting a dog that is charging an officer? How isn't it justified? I've had my hand chewed on by a dog that I was evaluating, and I had been working with that dog for a half hour and I was not expecting it.

Of course the family said the dog was ancient and arthritic and couldn't move, etc etc etc. Read accounts of our breed's history - they fight with broken legs and win. An angry dog will ignore a lot of pain and infirmity if it thinks its home is in danger. A bite from a 14 year old dog hurts just as much as one from a 3 year old dog, because at that moment, that old girl had no idea she was 14... like someone else already said she was protecting her property.

No one wants to put any blame here where it belongs - on an owner who left a dog out and set an alarm. The alarm went off. The police officer did his job and went to the house. The dog did her job and went after an intruder. Unfortunately, the intruder that she went after happened to be the police officer.

Everyone wants cops to "read dogs" and "asses situations" and "use less lethal tactics." I want owners to be responsible for their dogs. YES officers make mistakes. MAYBE this was one of them. I have no idea. When I had officers at my house once because of an alarm, I let Ruby out of her crate because she was flipping out (it was before Demo was an officer) she ran up to one of them, sniffed him, and then ran to the door - yes, he could have shot her in my kitchen. I had no idea that I was doing the wrong thing, and it would have been my own damn fault. I would have been horrified, and screamed about her being a therapy dog, and never hurting a fly and all the rest... but I would have still let my dog out of her crate (where she had been perfectly safe) and she charged an officer who had no idea what she was going to do.

Is it better for him to have a career ending injury because "maybe this one is friendly" or "maybe I can outrun this one" or "this one wants to play" or "this dog is only protecting it's property, I'm in the wrong here" No. Not hardly.

I kinda doubt he went there and just shot the dog while she was curled up sleeping in the corner. Seriously... does anyone think that there wasn't a reason that an officer would pull a gun on a dog? I haven't met any personally who find it fun to kill dogs, so they don't do it if they don't think it's necessary.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2010, 7:22 pm

SLS61185 wrote:Oh I read them alright... Doesn't mean I agree, like, nor accept it.

Tough. That's how it is. It has been explained to you by people who actually know what they are talking about.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2010, 7:23 pm

CinderDee wrote:Wow. That is just so rude. :nono:

And factually correct.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby HappyPuppy » October 14th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Just makes me wonder re the logic of it all -- do officers really need to shoot the dog of the house just because an alarm went off in the house? Would they be libel (liable?) for having responded without going in if there ended up being a perp hiding in the closet who came out later...? Or could/should it just be a "too bad for you, homeowner, we couldn't get past your dog to investigate?" I totally understand the officer's side of things but it's unfortunate that the dog got shot in THAT situation when the officers might have just said they wouldn't go further because of the dog that lived there... I know in a lot of areas, including my hometown, that officers have stopped responding to nuisance alarm activations due to the sheer number of them - I believe I read that, at least there, approx 90% of alarm activations were bogus....
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2010, 7:53 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Just makes me wonder re the logic of it all -- do officers really need to shoot the dog of the house just because an alarm went off in the house? Would they be libel (liable?) for having responded without going in if there ended up being a perp hiding in the closet who came out later...? Or could/should it just be a "too bad for you, homeowner, we couldn't get past your dog to investigate?" I totally understand the officer's side of things but it's unfortunate that the dog got shot in THAT situation when the officers might have just said they wouldn't go further because of the dog that lived there... I know in a lot of areas, including my hometown, that officers have stopped responding to nuisance alarm activations due to the sheer number of them - I believe I read that, at least there, approx 90% of alarm activations were bogus....

You are missing the point. I assure you that the officers did not shoot the dog because "an alarm went off". They shot the dog because the dog charged them while they were doing their jobs. This is so simple, so basic, and so completely overlooked here...I really don't know how it could possibly be explained more simply.

You are assuming that withdrawing was an option. Could YOU navigate your way out of a house you are unfamiliar with with a dog attacking you before the dog actually got a hold of you while trying to avoid getting killed by the burglar himself? I can't and I've literally responded to and cleared HUNDREDS of homes and commercial buildings, and many of these actually *did* have suspects inside or flee which I then caught.

It's pretty simple, the Officers entered and while searching were charged. The dog was just doing his job, but unfortunately for him so were the Officers and they were armed. If K-9 had been called to search the interior of the house and the homeowner's dog attacked the Police K-9, he would have likely been shot as well.

Does anyone here expect the police to show up at THEIR house when their alarm is going off and say "Gee, we have an obvious break on this door/window and there might be something or someone dangerous inside, so let's just leave"? If you have an obvious dog barking inside the house you call an ACO, but that ACO isn't walking into a dangerous environment before it has been cleared by armed, trained Officers.

Crate your dogs when you are not home or be prepared to lose them in an incident like this. How you personally "feel" about a dog getting shot has NOTHING to do with the facts of the matter. There is nothing else left to discuss.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Oh, one more thing. No Officer has to "draw and fire" in a situation like this. When responding to an alarm, your weapon had damn well already be in your hand and off-safe, as you were trained. No one except a complete moron who wants to go home dead searches the interior of a building with an alarm going off with his weapon holstered.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby airwalk » October 14th, 2010, 9:29 pm

DemoDick wrote:
CinderDee wrote:Wow. That is just so rude. :nono:

And factually correct.

Demo Dick

I would not call that factually correct...it is more your opinion.
airwalk
I live here

Postby HappyChick » October 14th, 2010, 10:21 pm

DemoDick wrote:

Demo Dick

Mods and Owner, please tell me how this insult to me is okay with the rules of this forum. Insults to other members should never be tolerated. Or does this one get special treatment because he's banging the owner???

Just a little FYI, I'm not nearly as DUMB as you think, but you are totally as blind as I thought. Have a super day big guy!!! Get the smurf over yourself DICK.
Last edited by HappyChick on October 14th, 2010, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » October 14th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Good points, Demo.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyChick » October 14th, 2010, 10:30 pm

PEOPLE! Where did it say in the original media report that the dog "CHARGED" officers??? That's bullshit. You all morphed it into that or maybe a later press release stated that, but come on, give me a fuckin' break! We all have emotions when we read these kind of reports. Nobody has to be a dick about it. Isn't this forum about education? Does that education really need to be presented in a negative "You are dumb" sort of manner? I don't know about the rest of you, but I was raised with the old adage "you catch more flies with honey that you do with vinegar". Can anybody figure out what that means besides me???
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » October 14th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Angie, I know you are peeved and frankly, in my opinion rightfully so. Mods I too am a bit disconcerted that if any of us had called someone too dumb to talk to...I'm pretty sure you would have been all over us...I'm sincerely hoping that Demo was getting some very direct PM's and we just don't know about it, but please don't lower yourself to Demo's level of communication by assuming that everyone else here isn't just as disgusted and irritated and wouldn't have preferred those comments were deleted before they were ever posted.

Demo..shame on you. I'm pretty sure you are a much better communicator than that. That was reverting to a 3 year old name calling session.
airwalk
I live here

Postby SLS61185 » October 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm

The shooting death of Gloria comes just a few months after an Oakland officer shot and killed a young deer that found its way to a resident's back yard, prompting Police Chief Anthony Batts to call for a policy review

This was never put in the OP.... also, on the site, when you go to the Police Chief's name it'll pull a second story of it up and this is what's at the bottom of it.

This is the second animal killing involving an Oakland police officer in just a few months. On May 1, an officer shot and killed a young deer found in an East Oakland back yard. The officer who ordered the deer be shot has been demoted and the officer who pulled the trigger has been disciplined in that case.
Stac

SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2010, 11:40 pm

HappyChick wrote:
DemoDick wrote:

Demo Dick

Mods and Owner, please tell me how this insult to me is okay with the rules of this forum. Insults to other members should never be tolerated. Or does this one get special treatment because he's banging the owner???

Just a little FYI, I'm not nearly as DUMB as you think, but you are totally as blind as I thought. Have a super day big guy!!! Get the smurf over yourself DICK.

Honey, I didn't notice that this morning, or I would have said something... but I see that Liz did, and she is perfectly able to handle things. But calling me out and accusing me of playing favorites because of who I sleep with is NOT how to get my attention in any way that you want my attention. All it does is piss me off.

I'm not stupid, the backhand swipes started on page one with the "dick" comments. And, no, he did not need to retaliate. So both of you can calm down and grow up.

"you're a dick" "well you're dumb" nah-nee-nah-nee boo-boo stick your head in dog doo :rolleyes2:

From the very first post:
Oakland police say Gloria began growling and barking and then made a threatening move toward the officers as they approached

What I put in italics is what people have changed to "charged." It doesn't matter what she did, she was growling and barking and advanced towards them, that was enough for them to decide that she was enough of a threat that she might continue to advance.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby HappyChick » October 15th, 2010, 12:15 am

I made no accusations. I simply asked if banging you made the difference. Thank you for your clarification. There is no need to be pissed off. Thank you for being upstanding. I think maybe you all deal too much with people who don't mean what they say and I absolutely mean what I say. Does Demo get banned for three days for clearly calling me dumb? Let's not play the semantics game. I mean seriously. There is a clear difference between calling for no dick answers and calling someone dumb. Can you agree? I mean HE picked the username and I should not be held responsible for that....

I am sick of posting my opinion and having someone retaliate with how "dumb" he thinks I am. I am not dumb by any means....I have genius IQ, if that's what it's about, but it should not be in my estimation. It should be about learning and this is why I joined this forum. Not to be ridiculed, but to learn.

For the record, if Liz is the Mod who should address the insult to a forum member, then I'll be very comfortable with her decision. Will you??
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

PreviousNext

Return to All the news that's fit to print