Family Lab Shot After Police Respond to House Alarm

Postby SLS61185 » October 15th, 2010, 12:18 am

mnp13 wrote:From the very first post:
Oakland police say Gloria began growling and barking and then made a threatening move toward the officers as they approached
What I put in italics is what people have changed to "charged." It doesn't matter what she did, she was growling and barking and advanced towards them, that was enough for them to decide that she was enough of a threat that she might continue to advance.

There's two different pages of that story.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/topics/?topic=Anthony+Batts
The second one is the one that got posted here - except the VERY last part of that story, about the deer.
Oakland police say Gloria began growling and barking and then made a threatening move toward the officers as they approached. The officers shot three times -- one shot hit the dog in the head.

The first one wasn't posted here.. However it says
The officer, who sources identified as Victor Garcia, said the dog was growling and running toward him as he retreated backwards. As the dog continued to advance, the officer fired three times, hitting Gloria in the head with one of those rounds.

It would help if they would atleast make the story the same and not change it :?
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 15th, 2010, 12:33 am

This is from October 1
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-be ... 56058.html
The Oakland Police Department is apologizing for the death of a family's dog.

Gloria, a yellow Labrador, was the only one home Tuesday when offcers arrived to check out a burglar alarm call. The Hallock family says 11-year-old Gloria had arthritis in her hips and had trouble getting around.

Oakland police say Gloria began growling and barking and then made a threatening move toward the officers as they approached. The officers shot three times -- one shot hit the dog in the head.

Mary Kate Hallock arrived home from running errands to find a note from officers on the front door of the home explaining that the dog had "advanced on officers in a threatening manner before being shot and killed."

The Hallocks say they want to know what police didn't use Taser, mace or pepper spray on the dog instead of going right to the deadly force of a handgun. They say they don't want to sue the department, but they want the change the department's policy nobody else has to go through same turmoil their family id dealing with now.

Police say the officer who pulled the trigger has not been placed on leave and continues to work.

The shooting death of Gloria comes just a few months after an Oakland officer shot and killed a young deer that found its way to a resident's back yard, prompting Police Chief Anthony Batts to call for a policy review.

This article was from October 2:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-be ... 19533.html
As an Oakland family mourns their beloved yellow Lab shot and killed by an Oakland police officer earlier this week, the department's chief assures they are investigating the incident and reviewing their policies.

Police went to the Hallock family's home on Burgos Avenue in the Oakland Hills on Tuesday to check out a burglary alarm. While checking the house for possible burglary suspects, one of the officers encountered the dog going out the open back door, Officer Jeff Thomason said. Gloria was the family's 11-year-old yellow Lab who suffered from arthritis and had trouble getting around.

The officer, who sources identified as Victor Garcia, said the dog was growling and running toward him as he retreated backwards. As the dog continued to advance, the officer fired three times, hitting Gloria in the head with one of those rounds.

"It is an unfortunate incident when you have a family pet protecting its home and officers responding to protect the property," police Chief Anthony Batts said in a statement.

"The end result is not something we wanted and my heart goes out to the family who has lost their dog," Batts said. "We are investigating the incident to ensure that proper policies and procedures were followed and evaluating possible ways to improve outcomes related to future contacts with animals."

Mary Kate Hallock arrived home from running errands to find a note from officers on the front door of the home explaining that the dog had "advanced on officers in a threatening manner before being shot and killed."

The Hallocks say they want to know why police didn't use Taser, mace or pepper spray on the dog instead of going right to the deadly force of a handgun.

No burglary suspects were found inside. Garcia has not been placed on leave pending an investigation into the incident.

This is the second animal killing involving an Oakland police officer in just a few months. On May 1, an officer shot and killed a young deer found in an East Oakland back yard. The officer who ordered the deer be shot has been demoted and the officer who pulled the trigger has been disciplined in that case.

It looks like maybe it was a followup article with more detail.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » October 15th, 2010, 7:21 am

I detest cowardice. Passive-aggressive behavior is the manner of a coward. Take a backhanded swipe at me and I will respond as I did in this thread, every time, guaranteed. Yes, a number of the moderators know me personally and I promise you that when you took that swipe they knew exactly how I would respond. And to then insinuate that the mods here are too dumb to see EXACTLY what you did, and then try to weasel out of it, and further insinuate that my relationship with mnp13 entitles me to "special treatment", when YOU are the one who started the shit-slinging with an expectation that it would go unnoticed is insulting to anyone of reasonable intelligence. I am no one's doormat and will not tolerate such behavior. Golden rule-treat others how YOU want to be treated. Pull that cowardly bullshit on me on the internet or in person and I will respond the same way every time. If you doubt this, ask anyone who knows me.

As to your claim of a genius level IQ? Prove it. Which test did you take and what year was it taken? Every IQ test uses a particular model and each has problems which may be associated with it. Since the curve is standardized to a recent cohort, we can assume your score would be faithful to roughly within a half standard deviation (3-4 points in either direction).

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby mnp13 » October 15th, 2010, 11:06 am

HappyChick wrote:I made no accusations. I simply asked if banging you made the difference. Thank you for your clarification. There is no need to be pissed off. Thank you for being upstanding. I think maybe you all deal too much with people who don't mean what they say and I absolutely mean what I say. Does Demo get banned for three days for clearly calling me dumb? Let's not play the semantics game. I mean seriously. There is a clear difference between calling for no dick answers and calling someone dumb. Can you agree? I mean HE picked the username and I should not be held responsible for that....

I don't know, should you be gagged for continually baiting him and keeping this going? Who started it? On this thread? Or do we go back to the other thread - since this is clearly a carry over from the other one. And from there, do we go back to the one before that, and before that and before that?

I agree, let's not play the semantics game.

I am sick of posting my opinion and having someone retaliate with how "dumb" he thinks I am. I am not dumb by any means....I have genius IQ, if that's what it's about, but it should not be in my estimation. It should be about learning and this is why I joined this forum. Not to be ridiculed, but to learn.

Ok, yet this is the third post where I read the word "banging" in relation to myself. You'll have to excuse me if I raise an eyebrow to your protests over someone being rude to you.

For the record, if Liz is the Mod who should address the insult to a forum member, then I'll be very comfortable with her decision. Will you??

Don't you EVER state, nor imply, that I don't have faith in my staff to run this forum. I quite frankly don't care if you are "comfortable" with her (or any staff member's) decision or not in any matter. My staff has edited my posts in the past, I don't get much special treatment.

Liz addressed it yesterday, I'm addressing it now. You're both going to knock it off, because I'm tired of it from both sides. When the staff decides what the staff is going to do, we will do it.

For God's sake, I can map out every thread that involves a cop shooting, people will be horrified that it happened, talk about all the things that cops should do instead of shoot dogs, and the single cop on the board will post that if a dog threatens a cop the dog will likely die, and everyone will freak out. Said cop will then get pissed off, then everyone else will get pissed off, then tempers get short, then everyone pushes the limit on the rules, then the staff gets a pile of PM's telling us how Demo is an asshole and needs to be banned because all he does is bully members and he's mean. If I'm really lucky, I'll get a few PM's telling me that I play favorites and that if anyone else did what he did they would be banned in one minute (though we have banned seven people in almost five years so that's not exactly true).
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to All the news that's fit to print