Goodbye, George.

Postby pitsnok » January 6th, 2011, 4:56 am

I got a heartbreaking text message from my mom this evening saying, "Will you go with me to put George down? He can't live like this any longer."

George was born on December 12th, 1993. 1993!!! I was in first grade when my step dad got him for my mom... for an anniversary present I think. I remember thinking it was an odd surprise, as I don't think she had ever mentioned wanting a chihuahua. After all, we already had two english bulldogs. But that winter George came to our family and I never could have imagined the life he had ahead of him.
My baby sister was only seven or eight months old when we got him. They grew up together. I remember teaching him recall in the garage with my neighborhood friend... we would call to him, "Come here pretty puppppyyyyyyyy" as he ran back and forth to both of us. We thought we were so clever in singing, "Georgie Porridgey, pudding and pie, kissed the cats and made them cry, when the dogs came out to play, Georgie Porridgey ran away!"
His mom only weighed 4lbs... and somehow George ended up peaking at 15lbs (I think.) His norm was around 11 though. Crazy enough, he wasn't even fat! He was just... big. (he fit in with the family.)

George was so ornery. I think we all had that, "he's small so it's cute" mentality that I now despise. Like a typical chihuahua, he wasn't the most inviting... as a matter of fact he was known as "the mean dog" amongst mine, and my siblings' friends. When my little brother came home from being born in 1996, George bit him on the foot. It didn't hurt my brother, but I remember being terrified that we were going to have to get rid of him. But after all, he was a chihuahua, and it was no big deal. He bit several people in his younger days... but never injured anyone. We were lucky that most people also thought it was "cute". He was prescribed valium for circumstances requiring visitors to the house.
He was wonderful with us though. He loved burrowing under the covers. He would curl up in the bend of my knee, like a little donut. Most of all I liked that he wasn't a weird little dog. He was tough. He was cool. He didn't shiver or hide from things. He mostly just lounged around, or barked at passersby...whichever.

George apparently was a bionic dog. When I was in third grade he ate an entire 'personal' sized chocolate cake...with chocolate icing. No joke, the cake was as big as he was. We thought it was safe on the dining room table, but apparently that was before we knew he had learned to use the chair to get to the goods. I cried my eyes out that night... I just knew he was going to die.

As he got older, George became much more tolerant of people. I think he finally realized that being nice gets nice things in return. He always slept in bed with my mom. She always said, "George has been the most reliable man in my life...the only one to stick around." My siblings and I used to argue about who was his 'favorite'... next to my mom of course. I never was really his favorite, until recently. I think my dog skills have improved.

In the past week George had been sick. He had been to the vet multiple times, and even had to stay overnight for barium xrays a few days ago. He was severely anemic, but the vet was having a hard time determining the cause. She said he was totally healthy other than his blood count, and she couldn't believe he was 17. Today, when he refused to even drink chicken broth from a syringe, and yet was still vomiting, my mom realized that it was time for him to go. I had told her a few days ago that I wanted to be there if she had to put him down.

When we arrived, the vet told us that his test results showed his bone marrow was unable to produce enough red blood cells. My mom asked for the vet's reassurance that it was the right decision to let him go...and of course it was.

I had never lost a pet before. Our family has never lost a pet before. My mom and her fiance were absolute wrecks when I showed up at their house. It broke my heart to see them both so upset, but also made me glad to know that George was SO loved.

My mom and I held him as he went. It was peaceful. I said to my mom just before that he seemed ready...He was tired... He just wanted to sleep. I haven't cried like that in a long time. It was a sobering experience, and was one of the most emotional things I have ever been through.

George was a member of our family. The same age as my sister, and older than my brother. He has been a comfort for us during times of sadness, and provided us with unconditional love that only a dog could show.

I am heartbroken, but okay. I just worry about my mom. He was her baby.

In his young days:

Me and George when I was a kid:

In his golden years:

Thanks for letting me put this out there...
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 6th, 2011, 6:49 am

I am so sorry! :( Your memorial to Georgie-Porgie was very touching. Between my tears, I was giggling at his antics.

Please pass my condolences on to your family.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » January 6th, 2011, 6:58 am

Wow, what a wonderful long life George had. That is a blessing in itself. I am so sorry it was time for your beloved friend to leave.

RIP George. Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 6th, 2011, 7:34 am

What a wonderful tribute you posted. Sounds like George lived a good, long, happy life with your family.

RIP George. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » January 6th, 2011, 8:16 am

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

What a handsome boy. RIP George :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby copperlegend » January 6th, 2011, 10:15 am

Rest in peace, George

What a tough looking little guy!
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » January 6th, 2011, 10:51 am

Sounds like he was a lot of fun for you kids growing up...despite his antics. ;)

RIP George...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PetieMarie22 » January 6th, 2011, 11:03 am

So sorry about George. All dogs ask for is to be treated good and loved until the day they die. It sounds like he was very well cared for and loved very much. RIP George.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 6th, 2011, 11:12 am

Sorry for your loss, it's always the worst when it's the first.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » January 6th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Every dog should be so lucky to eat an entire chocolate cake at least once in their lives.

RIP George, thanks for living life to the fullest!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TinaMartin » January 6th, 2011, 12:59 pm

RIP George. Sorry for your loss.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby madremissy » January 6th, 2011, 2:29 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP George. You lived a good and exciting life.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitsnok » January 6th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Thank you for all of your kind words.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » January 6th, 2011, 6:30 pm

:( I'm so very sorry for your loss... RIP George
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby plebayo » January 7th, 2011, 2:17 am

I'm sorry for your loss. It sucks losing a childhood friend.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » January 7th, 2011, 11:58 am

My parents put my childhood dog down this morning. She was only 2 months younger than George. He sounded like a little spitfire just like Lacy was in her younger days. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » January 7th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Sleep well little Georgie. :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ArtGypsy » January 7th, 2011, 9:10 pm

So Sorry...
R.I.P. Sweet Georgie...
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 16th, 2011, 11:07 pm

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers for you and your family! Hold him in your heart and he lives on with you...
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Our Departed Friends