Itchy skin solutions

Postby xrayspex27 » January 7th, 2011, 12:50 am

The dog i had growing up was a pure bred golden retriever and had miserable allergies, she was getting allergy shots and was on 2 or 3 different meds for her whole life and they still were never completely cleared up. Right now i have an american bulldog/pit mix Skeet who also has some sort of allergies. Sometimes his feet bug him and he licks them till they're bright red and raw, he constantly get's rashes on his tummy, and now he's got something popping up on his head.

Fish oil seems to help. Prednisolone always kills the belly problems and the feet thing in a dose or two. No such luck with the one on his head though.

Anyways, I'm really looking for topical cremes or natural options instead of having to drug him up all of the time, i know sometimes that's the the only option, but i'd certainly like to use that as a last resort. So what are your favorite skin soothing solutions?
xrayspex27
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » January 7th, 2011, 1:36 am

Has he been seen for the "thing" on his head?

I don't really want to recommend anything unless I know what the "thing" is. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby xrayspex27 » January 7th, 2011, 1:59 am

Yeah we were at the vet, haven't figured out the cause just yet. He gave me some pred, we'll be back in a few weeks if it doesn't clear up. We're not sure if it's another allergy or possibly demodetic mange. The scrape was clean but that doesn't mean much. Even if not for the head, i'm just generally curious about what has worked for different people for different skin problems. They can be so hard to diagnose and treat, it might be helpful for other people too.
xrayspex27
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » January 7th, 2011, 6:07 am

It is hard to treat allergy-related skin issues topically.

For localized flareups I've used Topagen successfully, but it isn't by any means a natural product.

I'm surprised your vet didn't want to look into the "thing" a bit more...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies