The Classic Car Litter need homes!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 13th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Since they're with me now, I figured I'd start a new thread...with their progress and pics for anyone that might be interested. I've got people coming over on Sunday for socialization and handling...and hopefully we'll get stacked pics. I'm gonna teach the kids how to stack a puppy and what you're looking for, etc.

The first round of pics are in the gallery section...new pics should be up tonight or tomorrow...as they're getting more active and going outside now, I've got good pics.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34380

I'm going with the Puppy's Rule of Sevens for raising these pups...

The Rule of 7's

By the time a puppy is seven weeks old he/she should have:

*Been on 7 different types of surfaces: carpet, concrete, wood, vinyl, grass, dirt, gravel, wood chips

They've been on linoleum, concrete, foam sheets, blankets, plastic trays, metal surface, brick, grass, stone patio, snow, ice, carpet, wire grating on the floor and wood

*Played with 7 different types of objects: big balls, small balls, soft fabric toys, fuzzy toys, squeaky toys, paper of cardboard items, metal items, sticks or hose pieces

They've played with tennis balls, a football, a big tennis ball, soft fuzzy toys, rubber toys, cardboard tubes, water bottles (half full and empty both), a frisbee, firehose, plastic bag, a broom, rope toys, udder toys, holey roller ball, foam balls

*Been in 7 different locations: front yard, back yard, basement, kitchen, car, garage, laundry room, bathroom

They've been in the bathroom, the van, different crates (vari-kennel, wire, x-pen), laundry room, crate room, furnace room, backyard, driveway, tub

*Met and played with 7 new people: include children and older adults, someone walking with a cane or stick, someone in a wheelchair or walker

They've only met a handful of people so far...so we're visiting my sister (two toddlers) and doing a puppy socialization day on Sunday

*Been exposed to 7 challenges: climb on a box, climb off a box, go through a tunnel, climb steps, go down steps, climb over obstacles, play hide and seek, in and out of a doorway with a step up or down, run around a fence

They've climbed up and down steps (stone and concrete), climbed up through a doorway with a step up (linoleum), climbed onto a plastic box, gone under a metal grate, climbed over a wooden partition, gone through the wire fence and around the chain link gate, over top of the upside down baby pool, under the agility pause table and onto the wobble board (really a teeter board set on a dip in the ground)

*Eaten from 7 different containers; metal, plastic, cardboard, paper, china, pie plate, frying pan

They've eaten from metal bowls, plastic bowls, a frisbee and a cardboard box so far

*Eaten in 7 different locations: crate, yard, kitchen, basement, laundry room, living room, bathroom

Eaten in the van, in a wire crate, in a vari kennel, in the laundry room and in their x-pen
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » January 13th, 2011, 8:43 pm

While I don't think what you are doing can hurt, this kind of stuff is not something I am into for pups. But I recognize that I come from a totally different viewpoint than rescue.

Best of luck with the litter. I hope that all this socialization and exposure gets you what you are looking for.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » January 13th, 2011, 8:55 pm

wtg, Erin! Sounds awesome.

since you sort of had this land in your lap, I think you're really doing amazing.

What about different noises? Bangs and crashes, that sort of thing. And things to play with? Milk bottle with rocks or pennies in it and the lid taped on, something like the crinkle toys they make for cats, that kind of thing...

again, I've done this with the babies at work, so although it was only 8 hrs/day, I totally sympathize. Great job!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 13th, 2011, 8:57 pm

furever_pit wrote:While I don't think what you are doing can hurt, this kind of stuff is not something I am into for pups.

How come?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » January 13th, 2011, 9:08 pm

I assume, yes there is that word again, that part of this isto cut down on any fear issues. Correct :?

If so, my suggestions are from experience with Kinzyl.
People wearing hats, camouflauge clothing, vacuum cleaners, and people in a uniform. :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 13th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Thanks for the great ideas so far! I hadn't thought about noises so much...they've experienced some loud bangs of their own making (knocking stuff over)...but no noise maker toys.

And hats...I was just thinking about that today...I'll ask my puppy cuddlers to wear some interesting things this weekend!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby furever_pit » January 13th, 2011, 9:33 pm

amazincc wrote:
furever_pit wrote:While I don't think what you are doing can hurt, this kind of stuff is not something I am into for pups.

How come?

These kinds of exercises are designed to expose and stimulate puppies to different elements of the world in the hopes that it will assist in the prevention of fear issues like environmental or noise sensitivities.

Personally, I prefer to see the raw material when I go to check out a litter. The litter that I picked Cairo from experienced most of their firsts right in front of my eyes. I got to see how they reacted naturally (and thus what lies in their genes) without the interference of any pre-exposure. When done this way, these things act as a test for the puppies that exhibit character strengths as well as flaws.

I can't say one way or another but it seems to me that intense "socialization" of the kind that Erin describes could potentially mask noise or environmental sensitivities and potentially affect how puppies are picked and what homes they are sent to.

Again, I am coming from the viewpoint of a working dog. My whole mission is to weed out the weak temperaments and capitalize on the strong. I want to know what the raw dog brings to the table because that's what you breed on.

However, for a litter of rescue pups who come from (if I remember correctly) at least a fearful mother and potentially a fearful father...it might be a good idea. I don't know. I am quite interested to hear what Erin observes with these pups and how her interpretations of the individuals develops over time. All in all, I think it's pretty cool that she is so dedicated to put all that work in.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » January 13th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Thanks for explaining. I was just curious. :)

All in all, I think it's pretty cool that she is so dedicated to put all that work in.

Agreed. Especially with NINE puppies... :shock: :swoon:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 15th, 2011, 9:49 am

Puppies are continuing to do well...they rarely have poops in their pen (only about 3-4 per day...out of nine puppies that poop 2x day!)...and pee only on their pee pads (not in their bedding in their vari kennel).

They follow me out of the basement outside after being released from their pen (through three doorways, and around a corner) to get outside to pee and poop...so the housetraining is going well. They even know to go up the two steps through the gate and into the yard. Smart puppies!

They're getting bolder every day and are enjoying exploring the yard more...and the things in it...they're walking on propped up boards onto the patio, and falling off, and getting back up to do it again. They play all over the wobble board (no issues with uncertain footing)...and race around the patio and jump off the 3-4" drop to the yard. Goofy things.

Shelby, the shy one, is now coming to me with the rest of them for petting...so her socializing/handling is going well. She's usually one of the first to explore something new still.

Hudson, the big pup, is still a plodder, but adventurous...he'll wander off, and find his way back...without whining or whimpering if he gets "lost" from the pack. He's mellow and cuddly.

Dart loves to get up on things...he's the first one to climb onto a new thing...and he'll fall off multiple times, and keep trying until he gets it...he doesn't give up.

Fiat still follows me around a lot, but does explore quite a bit...he's a nice well-rounded puppy that doesn't hesitate to do things, but will whimper if he gets "lost" from me.

Charger has lived up to his name...he's a big pup, and charges into any situation...but still likes to come to me for snuggles.

Galaxy is perfectly happy on her own...a lot like Shelby (the other girl) but more willing to come to me for love and affection. She's very bold, and loves to play with new things.

Gremlin is still unsure about the world at large...he'll go explore, but often times winds up at my feet whimpering. He's a bit of a butthead with the other pups and will grip ears and tug a lot. You hear a lot of snarling/growling when he's playing.

Falcon has become a nice little boy...he's a lot like Fiat and Dart...he'll try anything once and wanders off a bit like Hudson.

Nash has gotten more bold and doesn't whimper/cry whenever I'm away from him anymore. He'll explore in the middle of the pack, but won't go off on his own much.

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » January 15th, 2011, 12:26 pm

While I know this is an ENORMOUS job you have taken on, I would love to have all those puppies at my house. Well, for an hour. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 15th, 2011, 1:03 pm

iluvk9 wrote:While I know this is an ENORMOUS job you have taken on, I would love to have all those puppies at my house. Well, for an hour :)

x2 lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » January 15th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Did they have people around when they were younger?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2011, 8:25 am

Malli wrote:Did they have people around when they were younger?

The property (farm) was owned by an elderly man (who died recently)...he had his son over, and the dad of the young girl that informed me of the pups. So I'm guessing maybe at the most a dozen people. And we're not talking people that wanted to play with puppies (except for Emma). For one thing, the room they were in STUNK...so picking up the puppies took a strong stomach or stuffed up nose. They were filthy and stinky.

Shelby came to me this morning, pawed at my legs...and wanted to be picked up for cuddles...she then licked my nose repeatedly (*gag* puppy breath is awful).

They went to visit VA yesterday, and met my sister and my nephew, Archer, who is almost three. The pups and Archer had a BLAST, running around their acre yard...tiring each other out. My sis should be sending me pics and video soon! 8)

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » January 16th, 2011, 9:11 am

Puupy breath is awful??? I keep hoping they will make Puppy Breath Perfume. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2011, 9:13 am

iluvk9 wrote:Puupy breath is awful??? I keep hoping they will make Puppy Breath Perfume. :)

nasty poopy-puppy breath... :puke:
Last edited by TheRedQueen on January 16th, 2011, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » January 16th, 2011, 9:14 am

TheRedQueen wrote:They went to visit VA yesterday, and met my sister and my nephew, Archer, who is almost three.

All NINE of them??? Bless your heart. :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2011, 9:19 am

amazincc wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:They went to visit VA yesterday, and met my sister and my nephew, Archer, who is almost three.

All NINE of them??? Bless your heart. :shock:

Oh yes...plus seven adult dogs and John...we all took a visit. :) The pups were great...and didn't have any accidents in their crate but peed/pooped in the yard only.

They had a great time running and tackling Archer...lol

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » January 16th, 2011, 9:40 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Oh yes...plus seven adult dogs and John...we all took a visit. :)

Madness. :shocker: :swoon:

But I'm very glad that everyone had such a great time. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2011, 9:52 am

amazincc wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Oh yes...plus seven adult dogs and John...we all took a visit. :)

Madness. :shocker: :swoon:

But I'm very glad that everyone had such a great time. :D

We don't do anything halfway. ;)

We left Daisy and Vesta behind...otherwise it would have been 9 adults and 9 puppies. But since the other girls don't seem to be fond of the puppies, and Daisy can't be with Vesta or Inara, it seemed safest to leave them home.

TheRedQueen

Postby furever_pit » January 16th, 2011, 11:58 am

I love puppy breath. It's such a distinct smell.

Glad you guys had fun in VA. Sounds like the pups are doing well.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Rescue