Tie pet too long...get fined

Postby iluvk9 » January 19th, 2011, 7:02 am

Dog owners face fine if pet tied too long
Published: January 18, 2011 9:13 PM
By ERIK ORTIZ. amNewYork

Pet owners in New York City who tie up their pooches for more than three hours outdoors will land in the doghouse - or even the big house.

The City Council voted Tuesday to ban the practice of leashing pets for long periods, which members called "cruel and unusual."

"Chaining a dog and leaving it for hours is fair neither to the dog nor the people who must walk past it," said Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. (D-Astoria), who sponsored the bill and has been gathering support for it since 2007. "This type of abuse can turn the nicest pet into an attack dog."

The legislation, which is awaiting Mayor Michael Bloomberg's signature, also prohibits tethers that are too heavy, likely to become entangled because of their design or are considered "choke" or "pinch" collars.

Owners slapped with a first offense will get a warning. A second violation will cost up to $250, and subsequent offenses would draw up to a $500 fine and 90 days in jail.

From Newsday 1/19/11
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby AllAmericanPUP » January 19th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Legislation like this really doesn't do much good. It's not about how long a dog is tied out for, its about the conditions in which the dog lives in.

While i do not condone keeping dogs chained up outside(yes i know that makes me a hypocrite considering that's how my dogs currently live) I also know that not everyone who keeps their dogs chained up outside neglects them.

My dogs get regular exercise and attention plus they are fed a good food, and bathed regularly. They have good housing and bedding and i clean up the yard regularly.
I cannot keep them inside because i currently live with my parents and they will only allow henry paul inside and they have to be chained because our fence got destroyed a few years ago in a storm.

I hate having to keeps my dogs on tie outs but it's my only choice right now.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby iluvk9 » January 20th, 2011, 6:35 am

The area they are talking about is an extremely large, overpopulated and close living/working quarters. I don't think there are ANY dogs tied up outside who have actual LAND around them, with houses to sit in. I am guessing where you live, that is how it rolls.

What these people do, is tie their dogs up in front of their apartments or on their stoops. The dogs have a sidewalk in front of them, which is heavily traveled on foot by people, with cars, buses and taxi's two feet away in the road.

Again, it is more of a "status symbol" to have your growling, unsupervised dog (yes, usually Pit Bulls) tied to a lamp post or railing for HOURS, by use of a chain around his neck and a "leash" that could pull a tugboat. I doubt anyone's Chihuahua, wearing a coat and pink collar is out there.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » January 20th, 2011, 10:40 am

I think that's pretty awesome.

I know invisible fencing isn't the be-all-end-all if your dog REALLY want to go eat someone, but the thing is there IS invisible fencing, there's really no reason for dogs to be chained outside. There's also these cool things called dog runs that you can put your dog in too.

I agree, especially for certain neighborhoods in new york, you see it all the time on Animal Cops - people have their Pit Bulls chained to the apartment stoop, and I agree with Joyce, it's more of a status thing.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby AllAmericanPUP » January 20th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Yea i'm sure it's completely different in the cities. Didn't think bout that!
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Return to All the news that's fit to print