Hypothetical Question Regarding Foster Homes

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Violet » February 26th, 2011, 2:44 pm

I DID want you to go get to know her. I had no idea how she would react. I asked BOTH of you to give me a day to sort it out. Neither of you did. It WAS a resolvable issue.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » February 26th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Violet wrote:I DID want you to go get to know her. I had no idea how she would react. I asked BOTH of you to give me a day to sort it out. Neither of you did. It WAS a resolvable issue.

I'm hoping it will all work out with your her, the dogs and the org. Good luck!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 3:23 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:The argument is that Animal Control has been out there many times (kennel license) as well as Dept of AG after a litter of puppies was pulled from CA and came up with parvo. So the argument is that this foster home has been checked out more thoroughly than any other foster home. Although no one outside of a government employee has set foot on the property and certainly no one with the rescue org.

While I know you and I know what you meant by that...I do take a bit of offense for obvious reasons. I know what you meant, I know how you care for your dogs (thus my sending Dash to you), but the way it is written is really quite derogatory (sp)

Government employees are good enough to enforce law, enforce care...but not good enough to do an inspection or to determine if a rescue is satisfactory to care of their animals???
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I find it a bit funny that these people are sort of taking pride in being okayed by AC. I'm not trying to be derogatory at all towards AC or Govt. folks, but don't you usually go out if there's a problem that needs to be checked on? Does AC check all kennel licenses usually?

I mean, I've had AC to my house...and though I was in the clear (angry neighbors), it wasn't FUN...nor would I brag about having AC here. :| I just find that a bit odd.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Actually we do annual inspections on multiple dog licenses. We were only doing them on new licenses and we had one in our County tip over and get busted...so yes we inspect every year.

And why would it be funny they take pride in being cleared by A/C...as you yourself found out, complaints are often unfounded and being inspected and cleared typically will be used as a source of clearing future issues.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Violet » February 26th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Being as that particular AC has revoked kennel licenses for multiple rescues it IS a point of pride that hers passed muster and then some.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 4:23 pm

I don't take pride in the fact that AC came...sorry, just don't. ;) It's a worry for me...I'm not crazy about having to talk to authority figures...so it's nothing that's ever fun...or something I brag about. That's why I said that *I* didn't understand.

Thanks for clearing that up...I didn't know that AC would automatically inspect licenses...around here, AC doesn't show up unless there have been complaints...which is embarassing and troublesome. Because even though AC was okay with my place, I still had to deal with neighbor issues! lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Violet » February 26th, 2011, 5:12 pm

yeah..if it were a situation of there being complaints that would be completely different.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby DemoDick » February 26th, 2011, 5:45 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Thanks for clearing that up...I didn't know that AC would automatically inspect licenses...around here, AC doesn't show up unless there have been complaints...which is embarassing and troublesome. Because even though AC was okay with my place, I still had to deal with neighbor issues! lol

Same here. AC doesn't show up until there is a complaint or a report of a problem. Honestly I'm not a fan of AC being proactive at all. I've seen way too many holy rollers on power trips to think that's a good idea.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 6:16 pm

DemoDick wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Thanks for clearing that up...I didn't know that AC would automatically inspect licenses...around here, AC doesn't show up unless there have been complaints...which is embarassing and troublesome. Because even though AC was okay with my place, I still had to deal with neighbor issues! lol

Same here. AC doesn't show up until there is a complaint or a report of a problem. Honestly I'm not a fan of AC being proactive at all. I've seen way too many holy rollers on power trips to think that's a good idea.

Demo Dick

seen the same thing from LEO's when they deign to respond to animal complaints. Every profession has it's problem children.

If there isn't a problem, then us showing up shouldn't be a problem. Better to head off a problem than to have to go to the amazing expense of cleaning one up.

Additionally, I always love when we are told not to be proactive, but when all hell breaks loose then we get told we should have known and should have done something sooner.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » February 26th, 2011, 6:33 pm

airwalk wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:The argument is that Animal Control has been out there many times (kennel license) as well as Dept of AG after a litter of puppies was pulled from CA and came up with parvo. So the argument is that this foster home has been checked out more thoroughly than any other foster home. Although no one outside of a government employee has set foot on the property and certainly no one with the rescue org.

While I know you and I know what you meant by that...I do take a bit of offense for obvious reasons. I know what you meant, I know how you care for your dogs (thus my sending Dash to you), but the way it is written is really quite derogatory (sp)

Government employees are good enough to enforce law, enforce care...but not good enough to do an inspection or to determine if a rescue is satisfactory to care of their animals???

Diana, that was meant as in 'no one I personally know/affiliated with the rescue' has been on the property. As far as I know we haven't utilized them for home checks. How on Earth would they know what we look for? Inspection for a kennel license and a home check for a potential foster are two different things, IMO.
Last edited by BigDogBuford on February 26th, 2011, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Well, I don't know. We often use other ACO agencies to do home checks for us when a rescue is out of area, and I've, at least thus far, never had a problem.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » February 26th, 2011, 6:37 pm

airwalk wrote:Well, I don't know. We often use other ACO agencies to do home checks for us when a rescue is out of area, and I've, at least thus far, never had a problem.

That's a great use of resources, good job. However, I assume you've gone over with them the things you'd like checked? That would require a conversation about what you're looking for, yes?
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Typically yes; however, I am often communicating wth a dispatcher. Sorry I typically trust that ACO's are good at their jobs and assume they are as interested in assuring that rescues that take dogs into their area are as solid as I hope they will be. They are the ones that are going to have to deal with the situation if not.

I tend to believe that the average Government Employee is trying very hard to do their job well and right. You don't work as an ACO or shelter for the money or the glory, so I assume the most are there for any length of time because they care about what they are doing.

Now before everyone tells me how wrong I am...I and any member of our staff could have and have worked private sector in a number of different capacities. We work where we are because we choose it every day.
airwalk
I live here

Postby DemoDick » February 26th, 2011, 6:43 pm

airwalk wrote:seen the same thing from LEO's when they deign to respond to animal complaints. Every profession has it's problem children.

You have cops pushing the legal limit on animal complaints? It must be quiet out there. We're generally so backed up that we play defense all day rather than go stir crap up and create extra work.

If there isn't a problem, then us showing up shouldn't be a problem. Better to head off a problem than to have to go to the amazing expense of cleaning one up.

The idea of a governmental official showing up with no probable cause, no reasonable suspicion, nothing at all, just to make sure there isn't a "problem" is pretty much the opposite of what this country used to be. It makes my skin crawl. Unfortunately it is what the people of this country have come to tolerate, indeed expect.

Additionally, I always love when we are told not to be proactive, but when all hell breaks loose then we get told we should have known and should have done something sooner.

The people saying that are retarded. Proactivity is basically tyranny sold under the guise of safety.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby BigDogBuford » February 26th, 2011, 6:46 pm

airwalk wrote:Typically yes; however, I am often communicating wth a dispatcher. Sorry I typically trust that ACO's are good at their jobs and assume they are as interested in assuring that rescues that take dogs into their area are as solid as I hope they will be. They are the ones that are going to have to deal with the situation if not.

I tend to believe that the average Government Employee is trying very hard to do their job well and right. You don't work as an ACO or shelter for the money or the glory, so I assume the most are there for any length of time because they care about what they are doing.

Now before everyone tells me how wrong I am...I and any member of our staff could have and have worked private sector in a number of different capacities. We work where we are because we choose it every day.

Here's where I'm coming from with this, and I apologize if I inadvertently offended you. When we have our yearly inspection for our kennel license, they check our permits and ask us how we dispose of waste and take a cursory walk through the kennel. That's it.

There are many other things I'd do, check and ask before giving the thumbs up for a foster home for my rescue.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 6:50 pm

When the LEO's choose to bother with an animal complaint at all...they typically cause far more problems than they solve. If they realize what they are looking at, they screw up the evidence and/or make moves that freezes the investigation completely.

While I may agree with you personally, the local code provides for the acquisition of a dog license and offers an opportunity for a multiple dog license if they have enough dogs to save money that way. If they don't want an inspection, then simply license each dog individually and that goes away. If you wish to participate in a multiple dog license program, you are obligated to permit an inspection to ensure that you have and use the ability to provide (at least) minimum care standards.

While you may consider them retarded, I can quite assure you the local media and animal lovers are the first to point fingers at local ACO's and complain that more should be done. of course they have no desire to pay for that more..but it should be done.
airwalk
I live here

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Jeanine, I'm sorry that is the system you see. Perhaps there is far more being noted that you see. I know there are many folks that underestimate our Officers every day. They think we are just dumb dog catchers...that is until the read the rest of the report.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » February 26th, 2011, 6:55 pm

airwalk wrote:Jeanine, I'm sorry that is the system you see. Perhaps there is far more being noted that you see. I know there are many folks that underestimate our Officers every day. They think we are just dumb dog catchers...that is until the read the rest of the report.

I guess so. You'd think perhaps after five years of it I might have noted more. But hey, I'm just a dumb kennel worker. WTF do I know? :|
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » February 26th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Okay, I'm not sure what I did to warrant that response. I am not denigrated you, I just suggested that perhaps they are noting more than it appears

Never mind, I'm out this conversation is only going to piss me off.
airwalk
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk