Rehoming?

Postby Tubular Toby » June 3rd, 2011, 5:06 pm

Without going into details of my brother's life, he legitimately needs to rehome one of his dogs. The dog he wants to rehome is actually Toby's littermate. He is unneutered, well trained to listen inside, but I don't know how he is on a leash. Has lived with my brother's other pit bull, a female, his entire life. No idea how he'd do with OTHER dogs, but I'm going to take a stab here and guess poorly. He's four years old, quite large, and a very sweet dog. He has no trouble with people he doesn't know.

I obviously want to help my brother find a good home for Cody, does anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling it's not going to be easy. =(

-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 3rd, 2011, 6:14 pm

Well, if cuteness helps, he should find a home fast. :) Good luck!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » June 3rd, 2011, 8:00 pm

I agree wow he's really a doll.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » June 3rd, 2011, 8:52 pm

yep, agree on cuteness.
you may try asking local rescues for a "courtesy post" for him
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tubular Toby » June 3rd, 2011, 9:57 pm

I emailed a rescue a little less than two hours away. They take owner surrenders and specialize in pit bulls. We'll see what they say.
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitsnok » June 4th, 2011, 3:45 am

Was it Bully Breed Humane Society in Lawton that you contacted? If not, definitely get in touch with them.
There is also Great Plains Boxer Rescue that might be able to help, and I think there is also a Mastiff one in the Guthrie area (don't hold me to that though, I'm not positive).

Keep us updated, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 4th, 2011, 10:05 pm

I think most rescues will be more "friendly" about taking him on if he was neutered. It's one less immediate expense.

Good luck!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tubular Toby » June 5th, 2011, 12:34 am

mnp13 wrote:I think most rescues will be more "friendly" about taking him on if he was neutered. It's one less immediate expense.

Good luck!

Oh definitely! We have a low cost spay/neuter program here that is based off of income, so that will be happening. =) Good point
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 6th, 2011, 3:23 am

Good luck, always tough to rehome the bullies. My friend Matt (who posted on here months ago) is STILL looking for a home for his ex's APBT who is a total sweetheart and is already neutered. It's heartbreaking that it's taking so long :( Even when I took back his ex's Alapaha (starvation case) it still took me a while to find a good home for her. I think getting him to the low cost Speuter program will be a great start. And probably testing him with kids/cats/other dogs so you can adequately tell people what they'll be dealing with. The unknown is always the scariest.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 6th, 2011, 10:10 am

I've had way more trouble finding adoptive homes for the bullies in my care for foster, than I do the Aussies...so yeah, there is a big problem with finding GOOD homes.

I second the neutering...and testing him out with different things, like Sis said. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Rescue