Grain Free Food at Costco

Postby Hundilein » June 17th, 2011, 11:18 pm

My roommate just discovered a grain free food at costco today. It's called Nature's Domain. Apparently they make a salmon and sweet potato formula and a turkey and sweet potato formula, but our costco only carries the salmon one. Has anyone heard anything about this food?

Their website is: http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/.

They list the ingredients in alphabetical order on the ingredients page, but on the about page it has all the nutritional information, including an ingredient list. The first ten ingredients in the salmon formula are: Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » June 17th, 2011, 11:24 pm

I meant to check on this, I'm guessing it's pretty much the same as TOTW, as Diamond makes the Costco food normally...so it'd make sense for them to use the same stuff as TOTW, as they make that too.

I used to use the Costco food, but it's too far away now, and with gas and the membership price, it's easier for me to buy the regular Diamond food. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » June 18th, 2011, 1:44 am

It's similar to TOTW... I've been feeding it for 6+mos. Seth is sensitive to crappy food and he sheds more/gets flaky skin. I tried the turkey and he started shedding really bad and got flaky. I've used the salmon and was giving fish oil but ran out last month and haven't been to costco yet [I don't have a card and have to go in with a member] he's been doing fine just on the food without the fish oil caps. I like the price it's decent quality without being expensive. I have two dogs and a bag lasts me about 5-6 weeks.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » June 18th, 2011, 6:13 am

Interesting how some Costos carry certain items and some don't. My Long Island ones don't carry it last time I was in the dog/cat aisle. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » June 18th, 2011, 9:15 am

What is the price for the food, does anyone know? Can you only buy the big bags?

I get a small bag of TOTW at Tractor Supply for $11.99 It's much cheaper there than at the pet stores. I buy my Diamond there too
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » June 18th, 2011, 9:45 am

It comes in 35lb bags, it was $29.99 but is now $33.99. TOTW here is usually really expensive, their big bag is $50+ here.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » June 18th, 2011, 9:51 am

plebayo wrote:It comes in 35lb bags, it was $29.99 but is now $33.99. TOTW here is usually really expensive, their big bag is $50+ here.

Ouch...at TSC, the big bag runs around $40, last I looked. (eta: the TSC website puts it at $39.99) I feed it to Fig, so I only buy the small bags. So with the membership, and gas costs...I'm still doing well on food prices.

TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » June 18th, 2011, 10:08 am

TheRedQueen wrote:
plebayo wrote:It comes in 35lb bags, it was $29.99 but is now $33.99. TOTW here is usually really expensive, their big bag is $50+ here.

Ouch...at TSC, the big bag runs around $40, last I looked. (eta: the TSC website puts it at $39.99) I feed it to Fig, so I only buy the small bags. So with the membership, and gas costs...I'm still doing well on food prices.

The only places that carry it here are Nature's Pet they are really overpriced. We don't have a TSC, we have a Coastal but their prices are somewhat inflated depending on the product. I don't even think coastal carries TOTW, I did buy the Chicken Soup food there for a while, it was about $33 a bag whereas at Nature's Pet it was about $45. I would totally buy TOTW if it was closer to the $40 range, $50 can just be kind of painful when it's like a 30lb bag.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby babyreba » June 18th, 2011, 7:45 pm

I really wish my Costco would start carrying it so I could try it ... since we moved to Florida, the dogs are off raw and on TOTW kibble, which is reasonably priced (we pay $25.99 for 15 pounds or $42.99 for 30 pounds). But I'm sure the Costco would be cheaper. Maybe it'll start showing up here soon ...
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » October 5th, 2011, 12:08 pm

I know this is a few months old - but EVERYONE please use the Costco feedback/request "suggestion box" for this. I didn't remember the name above but last week, I sent in my request for my local store to start carrying it. Dunno if it will result in anything but I/we can hope!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » October 5th, 2011, 9:13 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I know this is a few months old - but EVERYONE please use the Costco feedback/request "suggestion box" for this. I didn't remember the name above but last week, I sent in my request for my local store to start carrying it. Dunno if it will result in anything but I/we can hope!

I bought a mineral block from my costco and asked if they ever would carry any other large animal products and the guy strongly suggested using the suggestion box/talking to customer service. I bet people in your area would go for it if they carried it... it used to be $28 when they first started carrying it here but the price has jumped to $35 I imagine because it has become a popular dog food.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies