Rheumatoid Arthritis

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby pitsnok » December 22nd, 2009, 2:31 pm

Hi guys, I know I haven't really gotten to know everyone on here very well yet, but I am having some health problems and I was hoping someone would have some input, or info or encouraging words, or experience, or anything. I feel like I'm at a dead end and am desperate for some answers, so I'm reaching out everywhere that I can.

For the past several months I have been seriously thinking I have Rheumatoid Arthritis...I have always had bad joints but this is completely different. My knees and ankles have been so swollen at points that my feet were asleep, my wrists and elbows are the newest pain, along with my hips, shoulders, and jaw. I am always absolutely exhausted to the point of having to drag myself out of bed, and I think all of this has led me to become depressed also. My joints are more stiff in the morning, blah blah... typical RA symptoms...In other words,this sucks! >(

So I saw an internist last week to get some blood work and x-rays done, (tested my blood count, sed rate, rheumatoid factor, and for Lupus) and the nurse called this morning to tell me all my labs "came back normal"...I'm not even anemic! So now I am stumped.
I am absolutely NOT making this up, and it's not just typical "joint pain" that I have always felt. People have always told me that "tall women just have bad joints"... (I'm six feet tall), and I know because I have always been athletic they are a little more worn than most, but this isn't fixed with advil, tylenol, or aleve...the only time I have felt 'better' was when I had an allergic reaction and had to take prednisone for a week.

So what I'm so curious about is has anyone else had any experience with RA, or know anything about it? Do you guys think it could be possible that my labs were all false negatives? I've done a lot of googling but personal experience really means more to me because I know all RA cases are different.

Anyway, thanks in advance. It actually even helps a little to just vent and get it all typed out.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 4:42 pm

Fibromyalgia??? There is no definite blood test for it, but it's dx'd according to certain symptoms.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » December 22nd, 2009, 4:47 pm

:hug3: (but not too hard of a hug....)

Maybe Lyme's Disease?

How about going to a holistic doctor?

And if you are making this up, you will be getting coal in your stocking, young lady. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 22nd, 2009, 6:19 pm

I"d say "yeah' to the fibro, except swollen joints isn't a symptom.

If ALL the tests came back negative, (sed rate tests for arthritis specifically) and you ANA (anti-nuclear-antibody) which is a marker for auto-immune disorders like lupus or RA....

I'd take your results to a rheumatologist and see what she/he says......

Being totally exhausted in the mornings........can be fibro, chronic fatigue or depression...
or even sleep disorders...

but this swollen joint thing---to the point the swollen area is causing tingling?? THAT sounds rather ominous....what was said about that???

Don't give up..........
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby cheekymunkee » December 22nd, 2009, 8:30 pm

I have RA and AS. Not as bad as some people but I still have it. I take Meloxicam & it has worked for the better part of a year but lately it isnt working as well. There are some days that I just cannot walk because the pain in my knee & hips is so bad. I manage to shuffle around but it is not a pretty site. My joints swell at times, mainly my right knee & wrist but they dont tingle. The company I work for does not offer insurance & I am on my last refill of Meloxicam so i am not really sure what is going to be next for me. I have found if I take enough Naproxen ( 4 a day, 2 in the am & 2 at bed time) I can move a lot better......but I am probably going to kill myself doing that lol. But without it I cant sit, stand, lay down anything without severe pain. And yes it does suck. Hard

Like was suggested I would see a rheumatologist, there are other forms of arthritis as well. Whatever you decide to do dont give up, people should NOT have to live in constant pain.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby blabsforbullies » December 22nd, 2009, 8:47 pm

I don't have any experience with it, but just wanted to say that you are your own best advocate for your health, so if you haven't gotten the resolution and relief you need, keep being persistent. :wink:

I hope you feel better soon. :thumbsup:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby CinderDee » December 22nd, 2009, 9:32 pm

I'm so sorry you're ill. I have arthritis too but it's osteo. One of the symptoms of CFS is sore joints. I'm not sure about the swelling though. I believe that Fibromyalgia and CFS can overlap and I think one of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia is also aching joints.

I hope you can find out what's going on soon. I feel for you...joint pain is horrible. :(
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Emi » December 22nd, 2009, 10:55 pm

amazincc wrote:Fibromyalgia??? There is no definite blood test for it, but it's dx'd according to certain symptoms.

That's what I was thinking...
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby pitsnok » December 23rd, 2009, 1:58 am

:shock:
Okay well, I know you guys aren't doctors, (or maybe you are)... but I think you guys just hit the nail on the head. I don't know how I haven't thought of, or come across this yet. I am honestly shocked to see the symptoms and how they absolutely everything I have been going through... almost to the t.

When I go back to the doctor, (not until the 18th). Also, it is a little relieving because it seems much less serious than any of the other things I have been expecting.

Thank you so much. Y'all are awesome.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » December 23rd, 2009, 10:05 am

pitsnok wrote::shock:
Okay well, I know you guys aren't doctors, (or maybe you are)... but I think you guys just hit the nail on the head. I don't know how I haven't thought of, or come across this yet. I am honestly shocked to see the symptoms and how they absolutely everything I have been going through... almost to the t.

When I go back to the doctor, (not until the 18th). Also, it is a little relieving because it seems much less serious than any of the other things I have been expecting.

Thank you so much. Y'all are awesome.

Glad we could give you some "insights",,,,but really, that's all we've done. Fibro? yes maybe.
Chronic Fatigue? yes, Maybe.
But both of these 'disorders' can over lap with other health concerns.
If your joints are indeed swelling to the point where there is a restriction of blood flow or pressure on the nerves, causing 'tingling',, this is NOT a symptom of Fibro or CFS.
(tingling on it;s own, maybe, but not edema (fluid) around the joints.

Were your joints swollen when you saw the Dr., and if so, what did he say??

sorry you have to wait til Jan 18th, but at least you have an appt.
and if the x-rays and initial blood tests were accurate, THAT'S good news!

Hang in there............Stay Positive (it helps) ! :wave2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitsnok » December 23rd, 2009, 12:47 pm

I just realized I completely left out that I am going to see if the doctor mentions it when I go back the 18th. I do realize this can still exist with RA or hypothyroidism and other things, it's just nice to have some other possibility. This whole process is so extremely frustrating. So in a way, new possibilities are kind of a glimmer of hope (strange I know).
Thanks again!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Off-Topic