Arresting parents for letting kids ride their bike

Postby mnp13 » September 9th, 2011, 10:29 am

Parents threatened with arrest for allowing their child to ride her bike to school.

un-freekin-real... the rise of the nanny state...

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2011/09/01/te ... to-school/
Tennessee Mom Threatened With Arrest For Letting Daughter Bike to School
by Tanya Snyder on September 1, 2011

It’s back-to-school time, and along with it, the requisite crackdown over kids getting to school by bike. A few years ago, we highlighted cases from Mississippi to British Columbia where authorities stopped kids from walking alone.

There's no Google street view of the intersection where Tryon's daughter was stopped for riding her bike, but here's the same street, close to the school.
And now, we have the case of Teresa Tryon of Tennessee, threatened with criminal charges for letting her child ride a bike to school.

Bike Walk Tennessee highlighted the case on its blog, saying it was “crazy” to threaten a mother with arrest for doing more or less what all parents should be doing: encouraging active lifestyles for our kids.

“On August 25th, my 10-year[-old] daughter arrived home via police officer,” Tryon said. “The officer informed me that in his ‘judgment’ it was unsafe for my daughter to ride her bike to school.”

Bike Walk Tennessee says Tryon’s daughter’s route to school was reasonably safe, and Tryon herself said Monday that she “passed a total of eight cars in the four times” she was on that road that day. Observers say it is an un-striped, residential street. Police say it’s one of the busiest streets in town, connecting public housing units and subdivisions to the downtown area.

Nonetheless, when Tryon complained to the police, she was reportedly told that until the officer can speak with Child Protective Services, “if I allow my daughter to ride/walk to school I will be breaking the law and treated accordingly.” She asked what law she would be breaking, and was told the answer was “child neglect.” The officer acknowledged Tryon’s daughter wasn’t breaking any laws.

Columnist Lenore Skenazy regularly writes about giving children the independence to make their way around their neighborhoods freely and unsupervised. In a recent post, she points to a child development book from 1979, when six-year-olds could be expected to be able to “travel alone in the neighborhood (four to eight blocks) to store, school, playground, or to a friend’s home.”

Skenazy is regularly chastised for trying to grant her kids a similar level of independence, and in Elizabethton, Tryon is defending herself against possible legal action for doing so.

According to Elizabethton Police Chief Matt Bailey, the street Tryon’s daughter was riding on is a busy street with a blind curve and a hill. Tryon says her daughter has taken a bicycle riding course, but the chief said an officer saw her passing a stopped school bus on the left, swerving into oncoming traffic, on a particularly busy three-way intersection in a manner that he thought was unsafe. When he approached her, he says she admitted that the traffic made her nervous, and he said that’s when he brought her home to talk to her mother about it.

Passing motorists had also expressed their concern to the police, and Child Protective Services had already talked to Tryon about it. Commenters on the Bike Walk Tennessee blog post were suspicious of the chief’s assertion that his only concern was for the girl’s safety, but Bailey said, the police are “just trying to do the right thing” to “protect this child.”

The chief acknowledged that there’s no sensible alternative route or even a safe way to cross that intersection. There are portions of the route with no sidewalk. Apparently taking the school bus wasn’t an option for her – according to the police report, the girl said “she had been kicked off the bus before and did not like it.”

Her mother maintains that the bus isn’t necessarily much safer. “She could take the bus and be bullied, punched, hit, kicked, stabbed,” Tryon wrote. “On the way to the bus she could be hit by a car, attacked by a vicious dog, the victim of a drive by shooting. Realistically the school bus COULD crash and kill her.”

Andy Clarke, president of the League of American Bicyclists, just commented on the League’s blog that Tryon’s is “a frustrating story with no obvious winners and lots of people left feeling aggrieved.” Rather than take a position on whether or not the police were correct to intervene, Clarke makes the case that the situation points to the need for greater investment in safe routes to school for kids.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/aug ... r-1275159/
ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. --
The Elizabethton Police Department and a local mother are at odds over the safety of her ten-year-old daughter. The girl rides her bike to and from Harold McCormick School every day -- one mile each way. Investigators contacted Child Protective Services last week. They think the route is dangerous. The mother, Teresa Tryon, says she knows what's best for her child.

Click the play icon above to watch a video report.

TRANSCRIPT:

CHIEF MATT BAILEY, Elizabethton Police Department: "We would be derelict in our duty if we didn't say, 'Hey, we've got some issues about her safety."

Last Wednesday, an Elizabethton Police officer put his car in park and waited on the school bus parked in front of him.

BAILEY: "The child goes into oncoming traffic, and goes around the school bus, and around his vehicle."

Chief Matt Bailey says the officer watched a car stop to avoid running her over. The next day, the officer saw that girl again.

BAILEY: "He sees the child crest the hill, she starts over the top of the hill on Cedar Avenue, a car comes from behind her and has to swerve over."

Bailey says this time the officer stopped the child, put her inside his cruiser, and drove her home.

TERESA TRYON, mother: "I'm thinking to myself, this is a wide street, she's wearing a helmet, I don't allow her to ride in the dark or in inclement weather conditions. She's an avid cyclist."

The officer told Teresa Tryon her daughter should not ride to and from school unsupervised -- that the roads have too much traffic and too little sidewalk to be safe.

TRYON: "How does the officer know my daughter better than I do?"

Tryon contacted Bike Walk Tennessee. She thinks police overstepped their bounds.

TRYON: "Going to the D.A., that's a little extreme for a 10 year old riding a mile. She's not breaking any laws. This is a judgement -- even according to the incident report. The officer wrote, it is a judgement."

Bailey says no one violated a city ordinance and no one wants to violate bikers' rights.

BAILEY: "No one has any kind of problem with anyone riding their bike to school. We are far, far, far too busy to worry about those kinds of things. But we're never too busy to worry about the safety of a child, period."

*The Elizabethton Police have not filed charges or issued a citation. Tryon says she has not received a visit from CPS.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 9th, 2011, 10:43 am

Yet CPS told John that his nephew was okay, because there was no neglect...since there is no "cure" for Muscular dystrophy.

GAHHHHHHHHHH...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » September 18th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Wow!

It's kind of ironic because I know I was hearing something about some state NOT providing schools buses to children within a mile of the school that don't live on busy roads. :|

Maybe our children should just live in plastic bubbles and never leave the house.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to All the news that's fit to print