Why do my dogs have "tail rub"?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » September 11th, 2011, 3:25 pm

They have had it "forever". Even Truman has it, but his shows up as RED fur, not like the others, but the same spot. :giggle:
Vet checked Darlene's out years ago, and it wasn't mange.

So, what do YOU think it is? They sleep on dog beds, wood floors, ceramic tile floors or my bed! :confused:

Darlene

Harley

Truman (look near my nail for the reddish fur!)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 11th, 2011, 3:45 pm

That's really weird. I look forward to seeing theories from others.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » September 11th, 2011, 3:49 pm

I think the weirdest thing is that Truman just has reddish fur in that spot. It was never rubbed off. :|

Just to add more facts: they don't lick or bite their tails and they don't seem to lay ON their tails at those points. :?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 11th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Isn't there a gland of some type at that spot in their tail? Inara's fur there is a smidge coarser and thinner than elsewhere.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » September 11th, 2011, 3:59 pm

I googled that gland, Liz, and came up with: Supracaudal Gland Hyperplasia also called Stud Tail. But it seems to be located at the base of the tail, so I don't know if the "rub spot" can be so far down the tail.

Everyone, GO CHECK YOUR DOG'S TAIL and let me know if they have it. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 11th, 2011, 4:24 pm

By the name "stud tail" they make it seem like only boys would have it...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » September 11th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Can dogs get stud tail? I know Tom cats can get it but it's usually really greasy and obvious at the base of the tail.

I'm not sure what it is but imagine it might be some kind of patterned hair loss, a lot of dogs lose hair on their tails, I've never asked why :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 11th, 2011, 5:37 pm

According to what I googled, dogs can get it. :|

Suzanne, don't you find it odd that my THREE dogs have it? And look at Truman's. 8) He never lost the fur, but it is really red fur now. He is jet black everywhere else. :confused:

I just find this so perplexing.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » September 11th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Scoots has it too, but Magic and Doogie don't. :|
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » September 11th, 2011, 6:20 pm

I've never run across a dog that has this, much less all three, non-related dogs in the house.

Even if they were rubbing against a piece of furniture or something, they all wouldn't have it at the same spot, since the Pony is taller.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » September 11th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Riggs has it. He gets it from wagging his tail in his crate.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » September 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm

mnp13 wrote:Riggs has it. He gets it from wagging his tail in his crate.

Mine are never in the crate with the door closed. And you saw how big the crate is...so Truman can turn around in it comfortably.

TheRedQueen wrote:... much less all three, non-related dogs in the house.

Even if they were rubbing against a piece of furniture or something, they all wouldn't have it at the same spot, since the Pony is taller.

EXACTLY!!!

airwalk wrote:Scoots has it too, but Magic and Doogie don't. :|

So, breed doesn't seem to matter.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » September 11th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Oscar has a bare spot on his tail. In his case, I believe it was caused by a localized skin infection(well, I KNOW he had the skin infections) and subsequent follicle scarring...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » September 11th, 2011, 11:33 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Riggs has it. He gets it from wagging his tail in his crate.

Mine are never in the crate with the door closed. And you saw how big the crate is...so Truman can turn around in it comfortably.

Riggs has more than enough room in his crate, but when he wags his tail it hits so I always assumed that was it. He's the only dog in our house with a tail, so I don't have much to compare to!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » September 12th, 2011, 12:40 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:By the name "stud tail" they make it seem like only boys would have it...

I once had a boyfriend that hat a massive case of "Stud Tail'. but THAT'S a different Story All Together!! :woowoo: :woowoo:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby iluvk9 » September 12th, 2011, 3:21 pm

:giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 12th, 2011, 3:23 pm

The Wiener wants to know what this "stud tail" is...and where he can get some

on a related note, I bought him a new t-shirt on clearance at Marshall's today...it says "I chase tail" 8)

TheRedQueen

Return to Nutrition & Health