Daisy

Postby mnp13 » September 20th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Hey everyone, Dee and I have offered to be the "point people" for helping to find Daisy a new home. We're hoping that someone has space for her as a perminent home, but if you can foster please let me know as well.

If you have room for another dog, know of a rescue that has room, or if you are able to foster, please contact me and we'll go from there.

She's a senior (we're waiting on her exact age) and apparently doesn't have issues with other dogs. Her health is ok, she has some tremors in her back legs, but gets around pretty well.

If the people who have met her in person would give their thoughts that would be great.

Please direct any questions to myself or Dee and we'll do our best to answer them! :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » September 21st, 2011, 12:02 am

Ugh I hate living on the wrong coast!! I would take her in a heart beat if it were possible.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby SisMorphine » September 21st, 2011, 12:46 am

Wish wish wish wish wish wish WISH I could take her. I will do whatever I can to find her the best possible home. For Daisy. For Christine. <3

ETA: Since she's not DA could probably take her on as a foster at work. I will discuss with the bossman if needed.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » September 21st, 2011, 2:43 am

She is the one I feel the worst for :( Poor thing must really be freaked.

I thought she was about 15, but I may be mistaken.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 21st, 2011, 5:50 am

Malli wrote:She is the one I feel the worst for :( Poor thing must really be freaked.

I agree. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 21st, 2011, 8:26 am

I can help out with Daisy...if needed, temporarily...but I've currently got two foster pit bulls and a stray pit bull too...so my house is rather full.

If anyone can get me exact details on them both, I can shoot my rescue contacts some emails.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » September 21st, 2011, 9:32 am

If I weren't West Coast I would take her.
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 21st, 2011, 10:31 am

Daisy was born 5/10/1998, and is not up to date on any vaccinations. Her last 3 year rabies was in 2007.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hundilein » September 21st, 2011, 10:11 pm

I did not spend much time with Daisy when I visited Christine, so unfortunately, I don't have much info to add. When I visited, Christine was keeping Daisy and the boys separated. All I really remember was her being friendly and happy to see me and really liking her tennis ball.

I wish I knew more. :sad2:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » September 21st, 2011, 10:33 pm

I know that this is going to be hard for everyone - but I would like to have a more objective discussion about Daisy. Daisy, as I understand it, has lived her entire life with Christine. She has never known another home and is now almost 15 years old and her health may be failing. For a Border 15 is getting very geriatric.

If a home can be found that doesn't involve a huge transport and an adjustment into a home that is far more active than she is used to then wonderful.

If we, for just a moment, set aside our feelings for Christine and our desired make something in her death right - and look at Daisy as we would any other dog - are we asking far more from a very old dog than we really have any right to? If coming here to live out whatever time she has left will give Daisy good quality of life....if Daisy can make that type of adjustment and be happy and healthy....then I'm for it. If, however, we are only buying her a bit more time and making her miserable in the process, are we doing what is right and responsible for her?

Michelle and I talked tonight and I told Michelle - unless we can find her a perfect home, or she is healthy, happy, social and coming her will be a good quality thing - my recommendation is to euthanize and let her be with Christine, Jessica and Mick.

I know that sounds cold - but I spent today stepping out of my "for Christine" mode and stepped into my object Shelter mode and realized that transporting her here and asking her to adjust to a busy household with people and dogs she doesn't know at 15 years old...is likely a very unfair thing to ask of her.
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 21st, 2011, 11:19 pm

And let us all write this down as an epic day in history...

Diana, I agree completely. ;)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » September 21st, 2011, 11:22 pm

Sorry I miscalculated, it appears that Daisy is nearing 13, which for a Border is still reaching geriatric.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » September 21st, 2011, 11:31 pm

mnp13 wrote:And let us all write this down as an epic day in history...

:swoon: :wink:

I really wish that I could take her. :( I do understand and appreciate what you said Diana.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » September 21st, 2011, 11:31 pm

mnp13 wrote:And let us all write this down as an epic day in history...

holy cow, quick someone double check hell I'm pretty sure it just froze over :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » September 21st, 2011, 11:55 pm

Shouldn't someone access this dog first? I mean my dogs are getting up there, Ollie will be 14 in a few months and still acts like a 2 year old. It would kill me to know she was put down strictly due to her age by people who were not at all familiar with her. Some older dogs are in way better shape than young ones are.

This entire thing is too upsetting for words. I will make DAMN sure that if any of my dogs are still around when I am gone and Amanda cannot take them, they are to go with me. I am writing my will this weekend, I dont have crap to leave anyone but I will make sure my dogs are taken care of even if I have to do it myself.

That may sound contradictory but at least the decision will be made by people who know them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » September 22nd, 2011, 12:14 am

Deb under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you and my larger concern isn't about finding her a new home. That is something she will either adjust to or not. My larger concern is that she is 13, if she comes to me it's a cross country transport which is highly stressful - then she has new people, new dogs, new life adjustments to make ... and my question is, is that fair to ask of her and is she up to it.

I don't know the answer to that question, because it appears of late, Christine and Caroline are the only ones that have been around her and Christine can't help us and I'm not sure if Caroline is able to either, right now.

I'm with you .. I told my son, I fed you all those years and taxi cab'd you....if I go before my dogs..they are my gift to you for the rest of their lives :D and my dogs (right now) aren't that old.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » September 22nd, 2011, 12:38 am

In my experience rehoming elderly dogs who have spent their whole lives with one family rarely goes well. But there's always the exception.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Violet » September 22nd, 2011, 12:43 am

hmm..I have rehomed a LOT of elderly dogs. Many from Diana's shelter. I have not met one that has not adjusted. But I think that the stray period then the shelter period makes them more willing to adjust.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 22nd, 2011, 5:55 am

Lenny was given to me at 11. I was TOLD he was 9. He adjusted fine. He only had to move 20 miles to live with me, but I doubt he knew that. He was stressed from having the freedom of NOT living in a cage, having 3 new dogs and a cat, new food and my rules (which I doubt he ever had).

I think whoever is kind enough to adopt Daisy will do right by her and she will be fine.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » September 22nd, 2011, 6:50 am

Everyone, please remember that everyone does want the best for Daisy. All possibilites have to be looked up and talked about. I know that everyone is not going to agree on what decision is made, whatever it might be, but the main thing is what is best for Daisy. I hope as adults this can be done amongst everyone with respect and level heads. :)
Michelle, what does Caroline want to do? I think the same conversation that we are having here should be had with her. She needs to look at all angles herself. (I am not saying that you haven't, just asking :) )
Remember this is just my two cents. :wave2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Next

Return to Rescue