Daisy

Postby TheRedQueen » September 22nd, 2011, 8:12 am

cheekymunkee wrote:Shouldn't someone access this dog first? I mean my dogs are getting up there, Ollie will be 14 in a few months and still acts like a 2 year old. It would kill me to know she was put down strictly due to her age by people who were not at all familiar with her. Some older dogs are in way better shape than young ones are.

This entire thing is too upsetting for words. I will make DAMN sure that if any of my dogs are still around when I am gone and Amanda cannot take them, they are to go with me. I am writing my will this weekend, I dont have crap to leave anyone but I will make sure my dogs are taken care of even if I have to do it myself.

That may sound contradictory but at least the decision will be made by people who know them.

Ripley is 14 at the end of the month...and I'm guessing he and Daisy are about the same size, and temperament. He wouldn't be willing to be put down just because he's a little shaky in his pins...and he'd go to a new house willingly and get into their crap too.

This is one reason that John's been calling border collie rescues and others in NC, (that no one seemed to give a crap about)...so someone can evaluate her...someone nearby that knows dogs.

If putting her down is the right thing, by all means...I'm behind it 100%. But I need to know that is indeed the right thing.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » September 22nd, 2011, 8:22 am

It just appears to me that everyone has two thoughts now...1. transport Daisy across the country (coast to coast) or 2. euthanize her

I mean, are there other options on the table for the rest of this group...? We'd rather have her put down rather than go into a new home or rescue in the mid-atlantic area?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » September 22nd, 2011, 9:46 am

I've talked to Diana and we BOTH agree if the dogs can find a home locally ghat would be best, the whole reason I am interested in Sepp is that I can give him the medical care he needs and I feel bad for both of them that christine did not make arrangements for them. Christine did a lot for me and i just want to do what I can to help her out. I also think it's sad that her daughter can't stick it out with daisy because she isn't going to live forever but I'm sure she feels overwhelmed and I know she has her own family to look out for. Although we're all here to help I'm sure her daughter we'll be making the definitive decisions for the dogs.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby airwalk » September 22nd, 2011, 9:48 am

Erin, nope I am not of the mind that only one of two options exist...I just want folks to stop, back up and think about what is best for Daisy....and make sure that we are not making decisions because everyone wants something good to come from Christine's death regardless of whether it's good for the dog or not.

If Daisy is ready to begin a next phase ofher life and needs a place to go...I am here, ready, willing and able. I have already transitioned 4 seniors into our house and it has worked well. If Daisy is to be number 5 then great, if not I'm okay with that.

I'm not saying any particular outcome is best. I don't know Daisy well enough to be able to do that. I just want to be sure decisions are being made with critical thought and not all heart...because all heart and no thought often does not reach the best conclusion for the dog.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » September 22nd, 2011, 10:12 am

But when John mentioned on FB that he was looking into BC rescues in NC for Daisy...all he was met with was..."oh no, Diana's going to take her". He mentioned that he was looking into rescues for both dogs, and everyone was aghast at this idea. So yeah, I haven't seen much else on the "find these dogs a home locally" front.

That showed to me that people are indeed not thinking of what's best for the dogs. I'm not saying that YOU, Diana, are doing this. I just haven't seen anything other than these two options. If there are other options being put out there, I haven't seen them.

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » September 22nd, 2011, 10:15 am

plebayo wrote: I also think it's sad that her daughter can't stick it out with daisy because she isn't going to live forever but I'm sure she feels overwhelmed and I know she has her own family to look out for.

I don't think publically blaming Caroline for not wanting to take in a geriatric dog that doesn't like kids is the best idea either. :| I planned on my sister taking Inara if something happened to me, but now that she has kids, I've told her that she won't get her now, because Inara is not good with kids. Seems fair to me.

TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » September 22nd, 2011, 10:29 am

I'm not placing blame, I think it IS sad that a geriatric dog has to be rehomed. I wasn't saying she's a bad person. It's just sad plain and simple. The whole situation is.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby airwalk » September 22nd, 2011, 1:03 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:But when John mentioned on FB that he was looking into BC rescues in NC for Daisy...all he was met with was..."oh no, Diana's going to take her". He mentioned that he was looking into rescues for both dogs, and everyone was aghast at this idea. So yeah, I haven't seen much else on the "find these dogs a home locally" front.

That showed to me that people are indeed not thinking of what's best for the dogs. I'm not saying that YOU, Diana, are doing this. I just haven't seen anything other than these two options. If there are other options being put out there, I haven't seen them.

Well I've kept most of my conversation off the boards because I don't want to get involved in any drama on this. I've told Dee and Michelle if a local home can be found excellent!!! I only want what is best for Daisy & Seppel.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » September 22nd, 2011, 1:16 pm

My opinion for what it is worth, would be to get the animals be it dog, cat, turtle or fish into a local rescue that can assess their mental and physical needs and get them care.

Then everyone will know exactly what the needs of the animal are prior to making arrangements for a cross country transport. Surely whoever works with the rescue can alert them that there are possible candidates for adopting after the needs of the animals have been met.

We all would like to help with the dogs because they belong to Christine and she helped so many of us, but we need to consider what is best short term and long term. I would love to see somone from PBT care for these little creatures as we could all rest assured they would go to loving homes, but for today I'd like to know they are firmly in the hands of someone who will responsibly look after their best interest until they can be placed.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2011, 1:56 pm

I am working on two people to go assess the dogs. One that has met them before, and another who has not. Both are dog savvy. Caroline is ok with meeting with them so that the assessment can be done.

If Daisy is found to be healthy enough - body and mind - to travel, then we have people willing to take her on both coasts. It's also important to note that there are no vet records for her after 2007, so some of the "health" stuff is just on how she looks.

Shanna - at this time, no one has been able to find a local rescue with space for them. If you have any ideas on that front, please feel free to let me know. John has been doing a ton of work trying to find any place that has room, so that is being explored as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » September 22nd, 2011, 2:24 pm

Excellent info.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Klopfer » September 22nd, 2011, 2:56 pm

Christine would NEVER agree on putting Daisy down just because she is old or she has to travel through the country. You all know that!!! I'm speechless...
They say "fighting dogs" grab on and never let go; and it's the truth! Smokey grabbed my heart and never let go.

http://www.schuldig-geboren.de
Klopfer
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2011, 3:11 pm

Klopfer wrote:Christine would NEVER agree on putting Daisy down just because she is old or she has to travel through the country. You all know that!!! I'm speechless...

And Christine did not make clear, finite arrangements for anyone to care for her dogs either. I'm not being heartless, just direct. When someone doesn't make those plans they leave those plans to other people who will do the very best they can to make the very best decisions for the animals in question. Christine was my friend and Dee's friend (and many other people's friend as well. :) ) Dee and I are making the very best decisions for the dogs that we can, and are getting help from a lot of people on those decisions, but in the long run, we can only do what we think is the best choice.

Christine gave me the name of her vet, and she asked me a while ago if I would help with the dogs if they ever needed to be placed. The vet that she referred me to has no records for Daisy at all. We don't really know how healthy she is in the first place.

The instructions for my pets have been in writing for more than five years. If we all learn nothing else from this mess, it is that you MUST have a plan for your pets, and you MUST put it in writing.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 22nd, 2011, 3:15 pm

Klopfer wrote:Christine would NEVER agree on putting Daisy down just because she is old or she has to travel through the country. You all know that!!! I'm speechless...

I don't think anyone is saying that would happen. They are saying if Daisy couldn't handle the changes that, potentially, she could have to make, then the nicest thing for Daisy, would be to let her go.

I think, judging from how Christine handled Luca, is that she would want us to do just what is being done; make an attempt to adjust Daisy to a new life that would be in her best interests, and if she cannot adjust to it, then to help her on to be with Christine herself, Jessica, and Mick.

please everyone, just take a step back from this. Take a deep breath.

Christine would not want this.

I can see that everyone has what is best for Christine's pets at heart here. I don't doubt that what is best for all of them is what will be done.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » September 22nd, 2011, 3:21 pm

Malli wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying that would happen. They are saying if Daisy couldn't handle the changes that, potentially, she could have to make, then the nicest thing for Daisy, would be to let her go.

I think, judging from how Christine handled Luca, is that she would want us to do just what is being done; make an attempt to adjust Daisy to a new life that would be in her best interests, and if she cannot adjust to it, then to help her on to be with Christine herself, Jessica, and Mick.

please everyone, just take a step back from this. Take a deep breath.

Christine would not want this.

I can see that everyone has what is best for Christine's pets at heart here. I don't doubt that what is best for all of them is what will be done.

What I was TRYING to say before but Malli did it so much better. :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hugapitbull » September 22nd, 2011, 3:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:Shanna - at this time, no one has been able to find a local rescue with space for them. If you have any ideas on that front, please feel free to let me know. John has been doing a ton of work trying to find any place that has room, so that is being explored as well.

I do not, but a friend in Knoxville mentioned one last night when I spoke to her. I've emailed her for the name. Knoxville is a few hours away, cannot remember exactly how far.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby habibati » September 22nd, 2011, 4:41 pm

NO NO NO, NOBODY has the right to let Daisy go to CC, Jess and Mick. REALLY NOBODY. Please, don´t do that. UUUFFF; I go crazy now, more than before.
Christine - Jess - Mick - forever in my heart <3
habibati
Just Whelped

Postby habibati » September 22nd, 2011, 4:43 pm

i can´t believe what i had read here, this is not a argument, Daisy is old, she ever lived with christine, god, i am soooooo angry
habibati
Just Whelped

Postby habibati » September 22nd, 2011, 4:47 pm

i remember, when my sister was gone, i bet some ppls from the forum, to help with the dogs; oh, i remember also that they said, we will help if her daughter need help with the dogs.

Why i read than now this???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
habibati
Just Whelped

Postby madremissy » September 22nd, 2011, 5:05 pm

Steffi,
What was suggested was just that, a suggestion, an idea. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made to do what is best for dogs. A suggestion doesn't mean that is the final answer.
As of right now I don't think that idea is being considered. I know that a lot of people are trying very hard to get Daisy vetted, and transported to a rescue or a new forever home. Since she hasn't been to a vet in several years, she has to be up to date on all vaccinations in order to travel anywhere. There is little that we know about Sepp and Daisy's temperment around other animals so people will have to go see them to evaluate and see what kind of home would be best for them both. One with no other dogs, with only female or male dogs. Cats, children and other conditions have to be looked at also.
Everyone here cares deeply for everyone's animals on this board. We only want this best for them.
Caroline has giving Michelle and Dee permission try to help and take care of the dogs. All ideas have to be talked about and explored, no matter how hard it may be to hear.
I hope you can understand what I am saying and know that people are trying really hard and putting in a lot of work trying to do what is best for them. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue