Needing homes for Shelby and Justus

Postby TheRedQueen » October 2nd, 2011, 9:03 am

I thought about this more last night...
if I came onto PBT (or any of my dog forums/groups) and said that I had to rehome any of my *own* dogs...despite the large numbers of fosters that I have at any given time, the work I do for rescues, etc...I would most certainly expect, or at least not be surprised by people questioning what I'm saying and doing. If I came on and said..."I'm rehoming Score"...I'd expect to get my ass reamed out.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » October 2nd, 2011, 1:51 pm

And I would expect the group as a whole to take into account what you have done on so many levels and support your decision for what ever reason it was made.

When we made the choice to work with Duke and give him a chance, we did it with the reality of knowing we may one day have to call it quits. If that day should ever come, I won't be coming here to have judgements made about why I have come to this decision.

I have watched the actions and reactions of the folks here for a long while. I certainly do not think we should all agree all the time - as Demo points out, it is a discussion forum. The differences of opinion are sometimes what makes us grow. But, over time there has been a slow and steady decline about how opinions are presented. Discussions are one thing, judgements are another.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » October 2nd, 2011, 2:25 pm

Why is this all being taken so personally??? It's just the Internet? I don't think anyone is casting judgements, just disagreeing with someone's desire to rehome their animals.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » October 2nd, 2011, 3:43 pm

plebayo wrote:Why is this all being taken so personally??? It's just the Internet? I don't think anyone is casting judgements, just disagreeing with someone's desire to rehome their animals.

Yes.

:| And I don't even think it's all "disagreeing" but more questioning the why's and how's...which we didn't get in the first place.

As I said, I'd expect my actions questioned...of course if I posted that The Wiener was being rehomed...I think there would be a waiting list...the ladies love him. :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » October 2nd, 2011, 3:59 pm

plebayo wrote: I don't think anyone is casting judgements, just disagreeing with someone's desire to rehome their animals.

There is some judging going on, that's the nature about any discussion. If I didn't "judge" that the idea of re-homing a pet was "wrong" then I would jump at the chance to help. (At least that's how I see it.)

When we made the choice to work with Duke and give him a chance, we did it with the reality of knowing we may one day have to call it quits. If that day should ever come, I won't be coming here to have judgements made about why I have come to this decision.

I did the same with Riggs, but with the understanding that I could return him to his breeder. When I found out that his breeder's plan was to put him down, and if he didn't, Riggs would likely go back to living his entire life in a crate; I didn't really have a decision to make. If/when I ever decide that Riggs can't be here anymore, he won't be anywhere.

As I said earlier, what I have said in this thread I have said to many people. If you don't want the dog that you have raised since it was a puppy, as a pet, with expectations of that dog being a pet - why would anyone else want it? Yes, I feel a little differently about dogs adopted/purchased for a specific task; up to a (very definitive) point.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby copperlegend » October 3rd, 2011, 9:58 am

What my issue is with this is that SO MANY people just expect to be able to re-home their dog(s), someone that belongs on a forum full of rescuers and fosters should know how utterly ridiculous the "I'm moving" or "I just had a baby" excuse is. And yes, to me IT IS AN EXCUSE.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby hugapitbull » October 3rd, 2011, 10:46 am

copperlegend wrote:What my issue is with this is that SO MANY people just expect to be able to re-home their dog(s), someone that belongs on a forum full of rescuers and fosters should know how utterly ridiculous the "I'm moving" or "I just had a baby" excuse is. And yes, to me IT IS AN EXCUSE.

This topic isn't about the need to 'justify' whether or not it is acceptable. I would hope I am never faced with this decision, but if I were and I adopted your philosophy, what are my alternatives - turn them loose in the street or just shoot them? I think the usefulness of this discussion has run it's course.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby TheRedQueen » October 3rd, 2011, 11:04 am

hugapitbull wrote:
copperlegend wrote:What my issue is with this is that SO MANY people just expect to be able to re-home their dog(s), someone that belongs on a forum full of rescuers and fosters should know how utterly ridiculous the "I'm moving" or "I just had a baby" excuse is. And yes, to me IT IS AN EXCUSE.

This topic isn't about the need to 'justify' whether or not it is acceptable. I would hope I am never faced with this decision, but if I were and I adopted your philosophy, what are my alternatives - turn them loose in the street or just shoot them? I think the usefulness of this discussion has run it's course.

I think it's the fact that they're saying that there are other circumstances, but used the convenient excuse of "we had a baby"...instead of giving more insightful commentary. It's not like they're new to this forum, or to rescue work in general.

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » October 3rd, 2011, 1:55 pm

"Just shoot them?" Yup. That's what has been said here. Take them out back with a Colt .45.

Actually, in my opinion, and what I say to pretty much all of the "I don't want my pet anymore" owner rehomes is to put the pet down. Unless it is a rare breed or toy breed with people just lining up to get one, there are likely no rescues with space, most shelters are a dead end anyway. And I have put my money where my mouth is on that.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » October 3rd, 2011, 11:45 pm

My objection is not that the questions were asked, but the tone in which they were asked. Paul gave us part of the information, he asked for resources and assistance.

I'm absolutely certain, that the judgments (and yes that's how they read to me as well) changed his mind. It helped him find appropriate placement. It make him feel that this was a community that was trying to help ...NOT.

When I say help, that doesn't necessarily mean agree, but it does mean being a community - instead PBT is increasingly become judge, jury & executioner.

After all, I'm sure that if someone else is having difficulty and feel they are reaching the end of their rope, they will, after reading this thread, come here to discuss their decision, to seek assistance....again NOT.

I too work in a field where I see dogs rehomed for ridiculous reasons every single day of the week. I hear excuses like...he/she is too active, won't house train, doesn't match the couch, car, lifestyle....but I also hear valid excuses of folks trying to find resources because circumstances have changed sufficiently to make what has worked before no longer work. Ya know what...it is not my place to sit in judgment of someone else. Which of us have never screwed up, never made a decision that was either very hard or ended up not being right...which of us is so perfect that we can afford to throw the first stone....cause frankly I haven't seen that person post here yet - but I wait with anticipation.
airwalk
I live here

Postby HappyChick » October 5th, 2011, 10:12 am

I did not think my post was so awful...

In a private message a few days ago, I apologized if I did offend him AND I offered to do a courtesy posting of the dogs on our rescue forum. I still need to know what is going on if I am going to get involved in any manner.

Diana - true my "tone" may not have been the most sympathetic, but the little bit of story originally posted did not garner much sympathy on my part. However, I couple of little Texan birdies gave me some background on Paul and I now see things a little differently.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » October 5th, 2011, 11:53 am

HappyChick wrote:I did not think my post was so awful...

In a private message a few days ago, I apologized if I did offend him AND I offered to do a courtesy posting of the dogs on our rescue forum. I still need to know what is going on if I am going to get involved in any manner.

Diana - true my "tone" may not have been the most sympathetic, but the little bit of story originally posted did not garner much sympathy on my part. However, I couple of little Texan birdies gave me some background on Paul and I now see things a little differently.

Angie, I find in my line of work, there is often far more to the story than what I originally am told or hear. There is often a backstory that changes things substantially. Which is why I prefer to ask questions and have courteous and helpful discussions.

I believe that a community is much more effecitve if it educates and supports rather than tears down and sits in Judgement.

I nearly reached the end of my rope with Magic several years back, so I know how that feels. Fortunately, PBT, at that time, was by and large still a courteous and helpful community and thus, while asking lots of questions were supporting so he still is with me.
airwalk
I live here

Postby DemoDick » October 6th, 2011, 7:45 pm

People who think that being "judgmental" is a bad thing are almost invariably the first ones to adjudicate and silence opinions and viewpoints they don't like, often by saying "don't be judgmental!" Anyone else see a glaring problem here?

With respect to the issues in this thread PBT is actually much less judgmental than it has ever been. If anyone tried to rehome their pets three years ago the mods would have had to step in before the first page flip.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Previous

Return to Rescue