One of the more terrifying moments of my life

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby blabsforbullies » January 6th, 2009, 9:36 pm

I'm so glad that everything is ok. You are your own dog's hero!!! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby mnp13 » January 6th, 2009, 11:57 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:I'm so glad that everything is ok. You are your own dog's hero!!! :dance:

Thanks!

From a vet's standpoint, what should I have done differently, what are different options that would have worked?

God forbid I ever have to deal with that again, I'd rather be more prepared next time around!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » January 7th, 2009, 12:01 am

It helps to have a Police Officer in the house. High stress is what we do.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amazincc » January 7th, 2009, 12:10 am

What kind of a bone was it??? Just curious, since I don't have my own PO living w/me... and I would most definitely panic. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby blabsforbullies » January 7th, 2009, 8:23 am

mnp13 wrote:
blabsforbullies wrote:I'm so glad that everything is ok. You are your own dog's hero!!! :dance:

Thanks!

From a vet's standpoint, what should I have done differently, what are different options that would have worked?

God forbid I ever have to deal with that again, I'd rather be more prepared next time around!

Honestly, I think you handled it perfectly. :mrgreen: I always try to pick the dog up and turn it upside down, and let gravity help. But that isn't always possible. :( But, even if you can get the hind end elevated, it helps. Doing it on the side is not easy (and it makes the hard compression difficult to do sometimes), but is the best alternative, as you already said. :| And, although it isn't the prefered option, as we would probably be discussing a foreign body surgery, if you can't grab it with your fingers, get something long that isn't sharp and try to dislodge it the other way towards the stomach. We can deal with a possible foreign body, but not with a dog that can't breathe! :sad2: But you did absolutely great! I don't think I can give you anything to improve on... you saved your dog's life!!!! 8) :D 8) :D
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby mnp13 » January 7th, 2009, 11:23 am

I never thought of pushing it in but in an extreme circumstance that would make sense. If they can breath you can get them to the e-vet immediately. Better emergency surgery then dead dog (uh.. yeah... stating the obvious :rolleyes2: )

I tested it last night with Ruby, she will let me hang her upside down to show someone what I did. Of course, I won't actually do the compressions! lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » January 7th, 2009, 12:07 pm

So I will get to see this on Sat.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby madremissy » January 7th, 2009, 12:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:Thanks :oops:

I never thought of pushing it in but in an extreme circumstance that would make sense. If they can breath you can get them to the e-vet immediately. Better emergency surgery then dead dog (uh.. yeah... stating the obvious :rolleyes2: )

I tested it last night with Ruby, she will let me hang her upside down to show someone what I did. Of course, I won't actually do the compressions! lol

Is there anyway you can take a video of this?? I am so paranoid about them choking on something.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby furever_pit » January 8th, 2009, 1:57 am

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad Riggs is okay.
Way to go to you and Demo for handling the situation.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » January 16th, 2009, 5:29 pm

LMM wrote:Matt if you find any training on that in the area can you let me know?

I just received this from a member on my flyball team. I'm going to sign up. Figured I would pass it your way if you are interested

Canine First Aid and Emergency Treatment Workshop
by Dr. Ailsa Currie DVM

Content of workshop will include: What is “Normal”
How to give a full physical exam
Common Problems
Less Common Problems and Emergencies
Emergency Procedures

Do not miss a chance to learn something that could one save your dog’s life!

Ideal for anyone who teaches dog classes, works in a doggie daycare or kennel or any other canine professional hoping to improve their skills and ability to provide good care for their canine clients!

Where: Canine Sports Complex
356 Hertel Ave, Buffalo, NY

When: Sunday, March 29, 2009
10am until 3pm (light lunch will be provided)

How Much: $50.00
Will include certificate of completion, handbook for review at home and mini first aid kit

Please contact Kim Russell at powertripp11@hotmail.com or 716 225 6646 to register
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LMM » January 16th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Thanks Matt! I'm wondering if the class DOTCORNY is going to have will be anything like this.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TinaMartin » January 19th, 2009, 10:19 am

maberi wrote:
LMM wrote:Matt if you find any training on that in the area can you let me know?

I just received this from a member on my flyball team. I'm going to sign up. Figured I would pass it your way if you are interested

Canine First Aid and Emergency Treatment Workshop
by Dr. Ailsa Currie DVM

Content of workshop will include: What is “Normal”
How to give a full physical exam
Common Problems
Less Common Problems and Emergencies
Emergency Procedures

Do not miss a chance to learn something that could one save your dog’s life!

Ideal for anyone who teaches dog classes, works in a doggie daycare or kennel or any other canine professional hoping to improve their skills and ability to provide good care for their canine clients!

Where: Canine Sports Complex
356 Hertel Ave, Buffalo, NY

When: Sunday, March 29, 2009
10am until 3pm (light lunch will be provided)

How Much: $50.00
Will include certificate of completion, handbook for review at home and mini first aid kit

Please contact Kim Russell at powertripp11@hotmail.com or 716 225 6646 to register

How long is sign up?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » January 19th, 2009, 3:14 pm

The class I'm looking into for DOTCORNY is RedCross, so I don't know that it will be done by a DVM.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » October 26th, 2011, 11:04 am

Almost this exact same situation happened with Patrick last night. Chris woke me up at 1:30 this morning and said that Patrick was choking on a frozen turkey neck. I got up, expecting to see a dog trying to hoark up something stuck in his throat. What I found was a lateral dog, not breathing with gums white as a ghost. Oh crap. That woke me up real quick, let me tell ya.

I reefed his mouth open and shoved my hand down his throat and could feel the turkey neck but just couldn't quite grab it. I ran to grab some pliers and told Chris to keep trying to grab the turkey neck out of his throat. After about 10 seconds Chris ran into the kitchen and said that he'd gotten it out so I ran back out to the porch where Patrick was and he wasn't breathing. I got him somewhat sternal and staring pounding on his sides, trying to wake him up. I was saying his name and pounding on his sides trying to stimulate him and the first sign of life I saw.....a waggy stubby nubbin. Boxers. :crazy2: It took a couple of minutes but he slowly came around and pinked up. This morning he seems fine but I'm going to take him into work with me.

By far, the scariest wake up call I've ever had. Keep in mind, this took place with me naked, outside on the porch in 30 degree weather. My feet are *still* cold and I'm still a little twitterpated about the whole thing.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TinaMartin » October 26th, 2011, 11:55 am

I hover over my guys when they eat. I have to say Gator is better with raw than what he was with kibble. With kibble it didn't matter how little he got at once he would try to inhale it like he had never been fed. With raw he still tries to get it down fast but doesn't have as much difficulty with it. Glad that Patrick looks ok that would have scared me to death!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby DemoDick » October 26th, 2011, 12:00 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Almost this exact same situation happened with Patrick last night. Chris woke me up at 1:30 this morning and said that Patrick was choking on a frozen turkey neck. I got up, expecting to see a dog trying to hoark up something stuck in his throat. What I found was a lateral dog, not breathing with gums white as a ghost. Oh crap. That woke me up real quick, let me tell ya.

I reefed his mouth open and shoved my hand down his throat and could feel the turkey neck but just couldn't quite grab it. I ran to grab some pliers and told Chris to keep trying to grab the turkey neck out of his throat. After about 10 seconds Chris ran into the kitchen and said that he'd gotten it out so I ran back out to the porch where Patrick was and he wasn't breathing. I got him somewhat sternal and staring pounding on his sides, trying to wake him up. I was saying his name and pounding on his sides trying to stimulate him and the first sign of life I saw.....a waggy stubby nubbin. Boxers. :crazy2: It took a couple of minutes but he slowly came around and pinked up. This morning he seems fine but I'm going to take him into work with me.

By far, the scariest wake up call I've ever had. Keep in mind, this took place with me naked, outside on the porch in 30 degree weather. My feet are *still* cold and I'm still a little twitterpated about the whole thing.

It seems that cylindrical foods like pig's feet and turkey necks are more likely to result in choking.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby BigDogBuford » October 26th, 2011, 12:04 pm

No more turkey necks in my house, that's for sure. Because Dash can't chew bones and stuff I grind all the raw food anyway so I guess that's a good enough solution for now.

Whew.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » October 26th, 2011, 1:03 pm

I'm glad to hear he's ok!!!

As an FYI - you can do the Heimlich with a dog that is on the floor. You do compressions at the base of the rib cage, with the same intention - to use the air in their lungs to force the item out. It's easier if you can lift them and have gravity help you, but the premise is the same.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » October 26th, 2011, 1:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm glad to hear he's ok!!!

As an FYI - you can do the Heimlich with a dog that is on the floor. You do compressions at the base of the rib cage, with the same intention - to use the air in their lungs to force the item out. It's easier if you can lift them and have gravity help you, but the premise is the same.

Chris was doing that before he came and got me but it wasn't working. He said he could hear the air squelch out of his lungs but that it almost made it worse. Luckily we were able to grab it.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » October 26th, 2011, 1:52 pm

omg :shock:

I'm so glad Patrick was ok.

as a side note, I believe we're in the same area and I know JUST how cold it was last night :o It was cold, even with a tuque, and 4 layers of shirts on.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health