DAP diffuser

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amalie79 » January 27th, 2012, 1:47 am

Luna's been resource guarding from the other dogs. We're working on a lot of management, training, and classical conditioning, and really focusing on reducing the stress in the house for dogs AND humans.

One of the things we've tried is a DAP plug-in. The thing stinks. It smells like it's on fire and melting slowly form the outlet. I thought our diffuser was just faulty, but I tried our trainer's, and hers stinks, too. It worries me that it's a fire hazard, but most of all it gives me a headache.

However, now I have basically a full refill bottle of DAP, and that stuff's not cheap. Any ideas on other diffusion methods? Reeds? Those candle-based oil diffusers? When I do aromatherapy, I put the oil in a cup and add hot water... I just don't want it to go to waste. :|
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » January 27th, 2012, 2:50 am

I knew a vet who had it in a hand sprayer(it came that way in a little spray bottle) and she put it on her dog's blankets :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby FAB dogs » January 27th, 2012, 7:28 am

Wow, I've never noticed any kind of smell from mine. I've had it for years, I wonder if they've changed production methods? Seems to me I've seen where you can buy it in a spray bottle as well. Maybe on the Petsmart website or Entirely Pets website. I don't see why you could't just pour the refill into a small spray bottle and use it that way.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby amalie79 » January 27th, 2012, 8:45 am

The first one is almost 10 years old, so I figured it was just time for a new one. But it's both of them. Maybe I will try putting it in a bottle...and dilute it a bit, I suppose...

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 27th, 2012, 11:02 am

Jenn (fenella) has a collar for Murphy that she uses...I'll tell her to come on and tell you more!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » January 27th, 2012, 11:12 am

I'm wondering if I can dab some on one of her collars... I just hate wasting a whole refill.

We're also using Bach's remedies, the Thundershirt, some TTouch, aromatherapy, L-theanine-- the last two for dogs AND humans. It's definitely helping me calm down. I'm going to put a CD player in the room with their crates to play Through a Dog's Ear. The DAP was one more gun in the arsenal and I hate to waste it now.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Training & Behavior