Big backslide

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2012, 10:33 am

Geez, it's been so long since Inara had any issues with people...I really have kind of forgotten that she's HA, fear aggressive. It's become something I tell people..."no really, this is how she was!" She's been so friendly and loving towards new people lately...I just truly had been taking her for granted.

But last night...at a client's house...after dark, taking their puppy out for play and potty. Took Inara over, since she loves puppies. They were romping in the dark, when suddenly from around the house, the owner came out...backlit by the house lights, dressed in dark clothing, African-American...so just a dark silhouette...ugh.
She saw him first and let out her barkscreamofdeath...and rushed him. She *almost* nailed him, but stopped short. He of course...being a first time dog dad, and owning a lab pup...almost had a heart attack. He literally was hyper-ventilating. I called Inara...and she.......

IGNORED ME.

:bs:

I finally got her somewhat under control, but she had no collar on (we had just come down the street from my house...so I didn't put anything on her just to drive down a few blocks)...and I had no leash. She downed, but kept jumping up to rush over to bark at him.

We actually discussed her...and I told him the difference between labs and Aussies...lol. He told me..."at first I was really scared because I thought it was your pit bull." I assured him that he had more to worry about from my NON-pit bulls....the Aussies and Wiener are way more likely to bite. lol

I came home...and slowly recovered...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 1st, 2012, 10:40 am

That's so disappointing, but those conditions were ripe for reactivity. Maybe it was just that exact scenario that set her off and she'll still be fine 99% of the time like she has been.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » February 1st, 2012, 3:09 pm

Ack! And this is where we kick ourselves because dogs do have brains of their own, on occaision ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior