Training feels good . . . who knew?!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SisMorphine » December 15th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Admittedly, it's been a while since I have trained my own dogs. And frankly, I find OB training to be necessary, but a tad monotonous. (Though still I wish I could, but with Teeny recovering from her ACL tear and Blue STILL being HW+, we're all on rest.)

Today I had two consults, both for large dogs (the first was an Alapaha, the second a Neo mix) with behavioral issues. I LOVE BEHAVIORAL CONSULTS! It just feels so natural. There is something about behavior, both canine and human, that just captivates me. And I don't have to think . . . I just KNOW what I am looking at. It's like I was bred to do this ;)

That's it. Two nice consults, good dogs, and dedicated owners. I was even told by one that she learned more from me in our hour session than she did in ANY of the classes that she has taken at the place she works at (where we used to work together YEARS ago). She even told the old owner, after being offered a private consult from her, that she would rather see me :neener:

So yeah, a bit of a brag, but more of just the happiness in realizing that training, specifically behavior mod, is where I need to be :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 15th, 2012, 6:58 pm

That's awesome, Lys! I'm so glad business is up and running for you, and SO JEALOUS you're working on getting your own building! You have no idea!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » December 15th, 2012, 7:02 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:That's awesome, Lys! I'm so glad business is up and running for you, and SO JEALOUS you're working on getting your own building! You have no idea!

I'm heading to the location tomorrow to figure out how to clean stuff out so we can at least start training, daycare, and day training sometime next month (we'll work on the boarding section later). It really is exciting. And it's days like today where I'm reminded why I am in the business I am in. :dance:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Hundilein » December 16th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Isn't it neat when things just click like that? I'm contemplating getting back into the training business after the first of the year.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 16th, 2012, 1:48 pm

It's such a beautiful thing...I might have a building soon...at least a small one for consults and flyball box work...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SisMorphine » December 16th, 2012, 3:46 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:It's such a beautiful thing...I might have a building soon...at least a small one for consults and flyball box work...

YAY!! That is super exciting :)
SisMorphine

Postby mnp13 » December 16th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Alyssa, are you staying at the building that you had initially looked at?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » December 17th, 2012, 2:51 pm

mnp13 wrote:Alyssa, are you staying at the building that you had initially looked at?

The second building we looked at we are sticking with for now. I should stop by there again, today, and figure out a plan on emptying it so we can get our contractor in there for the small amount of build out that we need to do in the daycare/training room.
SisMorphine

Postby furever_pit » December 22nd, 2012, 12:17 am

That's awesome Alyssa! I'm super excited for you!
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior