Questions about newborn puppies

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Hundilein » December 17th, 2012, 6:23 pm

No, they are not my dog's puppies.

I am considering bringing home a mom with a litter of week old puppies to foster until they are old enough to be adopted. They are currently in a shelter. There are a lot of logistical things to consider (it would involve a move to another town because there's no room for more dogs where I live currently), but I know there are also lots of other things to consider.

One reason I'm thinking of doing this is because I think it would be really neat to be able to see puppies develop and have the opportunity to provide proper socialization and early training. That being said, I don't particularly like puppies, and I don't have any experience with tiny puppies. There are also 8 in this litter, which even I know is a LOT.

For those of you with baby puppy raising experience, what things do I need to be thinking about? Is it reasonable to think I could do a decent job socializing these pups considering I work full time?
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 17th, 2012, 7:49 pm

my only litter that I raised was 6 weeks old when I got them...but even though I don't usually care for puppies, it was a ton of fun...and was a total learning experience
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Nutrition & Health