Resource Guarding / food aggression.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » February 19th, 2013, 6:03 pm

We have a new member coming in who needs some help with food aggression and her foster dog.

We are making great progress, in small steps...but I am not a trainer. trying to read up on stuff so i can help her. last night she ran past her food to come play....and we got to 12 mins of tug play the other day w a bowl of meat right next to her. but i need more direction, if you are willing to help...please.

Thoughts to get this going?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » February 19th, 2013, 10:29 pm

tradsies. Something tasty in exchange for her bowl. repeat?
How bad is the aggression/gaurding?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hundilein » February 19th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Can we get some more background info? I have a handout on resource guarding that I might be able to share. The steps are quite similar to those in Jean Donaldson's book "Mine".
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 20th, 2013, 12:22 pm

She has joined, but hasn't been able to post yet. I posted all of the information that I had.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » February 21st, 2013, 9:38 am

I won't be the one that can help her with the resource guarding, but I can welcome her! :D

That's all the forum ninja skills I possess...... :dance:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm

I know that the book "Mine" is like the bible of resource guarding.

She needs to start by leaving the dog alone while he's eating, other than to toss extremely yummy treats from a distance at which the dog is still comfortable. As the dog continues to be comfortable (over days and weeks, not minutes) she can slowly move closer. Once she can be next to the dog, she can just do walk by's where she walks by and drops treats in the dog's bowl (without stopping - keep walking) as he's eating. Once he is starting to look happy about her approach, she can touch his bowl briefly as she's putting treats in. Then progress to holding the bowl while putting treats in, and then progress to picking the bowl up, putting in awesome treats and putting it back down. Again, this is a SUPER LONG PROCESS, weeks and months, but it's not something to skimp on. Doing this in a slow, patient fashion, should make a world of difference.

But seriously, buy "Mine" and find a good positive reinforcement trainer for individualized help.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » February 23rd, 2013, 12:59 am

She lives in the middle of nowhere, so training resources are limited. I'm hopefully going out to evaluate the dogs next week.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » March 3rd, 2013, 8:06 am

I've had good results with the method that Liz posted. I've used it for food guarding behavior as well as toys and other things I've had dogs get pissy over.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior