Home Visit check List

Postby mnp13 » February 22nd, 2006, 7:58 pm

Another email from the same person I got the home visti guidelines from.

HOME VISIT CHECK LIST
To discuss…….to observe……..to describe

Applicant:
Dog:

1.Who was present at the visit?

2.. Please observe the neighborhood / yard / fence / tie-out/etc and describe?

3.SEE where dog will be kept in house when family is home and when not home and describe.

4.Where will the dog sleep? If they have a dog now, where does it sleep?

5.If puppy, is crate training planned? How will they housebreak puppy? Have they crate trained before or do they need info?

6.If crate is going to be used –how long will dog be in crate? Where will crate be?

7.What are the family member’s schedules—when leave, when return?

8. If family has dog or you are taking a dog---observe reactions to dog, especially children’s

9. What training is planned?

10. What exercise is planned/how much/how often?

11. If Puppy…do they understand the importance of socialization?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » February 23rd, 2006, 12:33 pm

add to that:

how does the existing dog react to your dog?
how do the applicants treat each other? respectful? happy? abusive?
ask for proof they own their home, by a tax bill or mortgage bill.
ask if their homeowners allows this breed on the premises. if not, do not adopt.
ask to see the backyard , examine the fence, areas in the yard, notify of any chemicals, wires, openings to the owners.
ask to see every room. make sure you advise to have kids pick up small toys, put chemicals away in bathroom/kitchens.
see what the neighborhood is like, is it busy, quiet, lots of cars, no cars??
see how the family reacts to your dog. are they abusive, not caring, excited, affectionate?

make sure the family takes your dog on a walk to see how they can handle a dog . let them walk your dog on leash in the backyard. ask them to give your dog some commands.
see where their current dog sleeps, eats, etc..
how is the yard? is there a ton of poop out there? or do they clean it up ?
how do the kids react to the dog? are they abusive? caring?
do the parents supervise the children when the dog is around? do the parents reprimand the children if they do somethingto the dog that is not right, like hitting the dog?
does the resident dog cower in front of the family? is the resident dog happy?healthy?

be prepared to spend at least 2 hours at a home visit.. i spend between 2-4 hours as i grill the people to the T..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 21st, 2006, 9:02 am

and the most important:

NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER accept photos of the adopters house... ALWAYS DO THE HOME CHECK. anyone can take pictures of a house and say its theirs. Anyone who accepts a photo from an adopter should seriously get out of rescue.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 15th, 2006, 8:43 pm

In my rescue, I was put in charge of doing the follow-up home checks after the dogs are adopted. I was told that if I wouldn't treat my dog the way they're treating their dog, to call the woman in charge and we'll take the dog back. Can anybody think of anything out of the ordinary that I should look for that I might not think of?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Maryellen » July 15th, 2006, 10:45 pm

look for signs of the dog being tied outside, bare dirt around trees, poles, etc, water/food dishes out side... skinny dogs, etc... owners not home enough, like gone 13 hours a day, stuff like that.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 15th, 2006, 11:56 pm

Good thinking, thank you!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Rescue